Dawn's Adrift!

Duff Man

You're both missing my point.

When asked how the flight was, the answer would be ......?

Would they be told not to complain due to the length of the good part of the trip? Or would they be allowed to complain?

LOL..I get your point. ;) Really I do.

When I have had horrid flight experiences (and we have ALL had those because it's highly unlikely to have a good flight experience these days) and people on the plane are upset

AND on the occasions I have been on a ship and happened to be standing by someone who is having what they feel is a bad experience and they are complaining, I don't want to hear it...

plain and simple.

Because when I'm on a plane with an issue and people are freaking out, it doesn't make the issue any better and it makes a lot of people feel worse.

Yeah, people need to vent sometimes. It's healthy, but there are ways of doing it well and ways that suck.

LOL, it reminds me of an incident on a ship in an elevator that was 'acting up' and soem guy was starting to say, "We're going to fall, we're going to fall!!"

My sister (God love her) screamed at the guy to "JUST SHUT UP!!"

It's just so much more pleasant and easier to be with people who handle things well.

We are 'with' people on these boards...reading their words can be as powerful as being with them listening to them speak. The people who complain/vent constructively always are recieved well. When people complain in a way that isn't very constructive, posters like me get defensive. It's our way of screaming, "JUST SHUT UP!" without getting banned. :D

So, they are allowed to vent, and I am allowed to tell them they're overreacting. (law suits to me are in most cases over-reacting for instance). In instances where some people handle the situation well (like this NCL thing) and others do not, it's obvious that the situation was what it was...it's the reaction of the individual that is what is variable.

People here can express how they are feeling and so can I in response to it. You have to accept both...or neither.

Some of you take it much too personally when someone gripes about NCL.

I could see why it would appear that way, but it's not about cheerleading at all. It's about differences in people, plain and simple.

Just as some people don't handle bad situations well, other people don't handle people who don't handle bad situations well, well. ;)

I think it is reasonable that cruise lines should expect that their passengers chose to go by sea instead of by air for a reason, and that in the event of a service failure that the line should fulfill its obligation to transport by alternate sea carrier.

Listen, I don't argue that this fear is totally debilitating and I really feel for people who were put in this situation but I feel that like having specific dietary needs if someone has this 'handicap' (and I believe that a phobia is a handicap) it should be discussed with ther cruise line before the person sets sail just as all special needs are. This way the cruise line can make sure that you will be taken care of in the event of an emergency such as this

OR

they'll tell you up front that they can't.

You can't just assume they have provisions such as this this for people afraid of flying.

LOL..I get your point. ;) Really I do.

When I have had horrid flight experiences (and we have ALL had those because it's highly unlikely to have a good flight experience these days) and people on the plane are upset

AND on the occasions I have been on a ship and happened to be standing by someone who is having what they feel is a bad experience and they are complaining, I don't want to hear it...

plain and simple.

Because when I'm on a plane with an issue and people are freaking out, it doesn't make the issue any better and it makes a lot of people feel worse.

Yeah, people need to vent sometimes. It's healthy, but there are ways of doing it well and ways that suck.

LOL, it reminds me of an incident on a ship in an elevator that was 'acting up' and soem guy was starting to say, "We're going to fall, we're going to fall!!"

My sister (God love her) screamed at the guy to "JUST SHUT UP!!"

It's just so much more pleasant and easier to be with people who handle things well.

We are 'with' people on these boards...reading their words can be as powerful as being with them listening to them speak. The people who complain/vent constructively always are recieved well. When people complain in a way that isn't very constructive, posters like me get defensive. It's our way of screaming, "JUST SHUT UP!" without getting banned. :D

So, they are allowed to vent, and I am allowed to tell them they're overreacting. (law suits to me are in most cases over-reacting for instance). In instances where some people handle the situation well (like this NCL thing) and others do not, it's obvious that the situation was what it was...it's the reaction of the individual that is what is variable.

People here can express how they are feeling and so can I in response to it. You have to accept both...or neither.

I could see why it would appear that way, but it's not about cheerleading at all. It's about differences in people, plain and simple.

Just as some people don't handle bad situations well, other people don't handle people who don't handle bad situations well, well. ;)

Well said!

Ruby red-- good for you getting placed onto a different ship.... that is what has upset me...we called at 6am this morning when we landed in San Francisco (from San Diego en route to Miami) and they said there was no availability on any other cruises....what time did you call this morning to get your new cruise booked??

Pete,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Just saw your post as we didnt use the net on board much, just to send some quick emails. We are now sitting in the MIA airport to go home. I didn't read all of this thread so not sure what you found out. We called our PCC at NCL after we got to the Miami hotel and got the phone call saying the cruise was canceled. We were told we by NLC that they couldnt do anything till it was canceled (not sure what time that was made). We were also told people who booked with NCL got the first chance to rebook on the Jewel. Turns out there were 40 rooms that went to Dawn folks and over 300 more were on a wait list. Not sure how we lucked out in the process. Hope you made it back home ok.

Also whats the official word on the Dawn? We heard at dinner last night by a waiter that it would be in dry dock for 6 weeks. What was the cause of the engine problems? Anyone?

Thanks

Pete,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Just saw your post as we didnt use the net on board much, just to send some quick emails. We are now sitting in the MIA airport to go home. I didn't read all of this thread so not sure what you found out. We called our PCC at NCL after we got to the Miami hotel and got the phone call saying the cruise was canceled. We were told we by NLC that they couldnt do anything till it was canceled (not sure what time that was made). We were also told people who booked with NCL got the first chance to rebook on the Jewel. Turns out there were 40 rooms that went to Dawn folks and over 300 more were on a wait list. Not sure how we lucked out in the process. Hope you made it back home ok.

Also whats the official word on the Dawn? We heard at dinner last night by a waiter that it would be in dry dock for 6 weeks. What was the cause of the engine problems? Anyone?

Thanks

The answers to your questions are in the thread you've chosen not to read.

Pete,

Thanks

Your waiter was wrong. Read this thread from this board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098223

Pete,

Thanks

Hi Kelly, Good for you getting placed on a ship so quickly.

I think SDTravelers problem was the type of cabin they were originally booked in. If I am not mistaken, Pete was in a Garen Villa with a group of people. This was told to me by MrTractor. If that was the case trying to put them up would have been next to impossible if those similar cabins were already booked.

PE

So if the "wording" is not really important, can we construe these complaints to be actually articles of PRAISE?

Words DO matter, in an environment such as this they are the only way we communicate, and we need to impart experience and emotion in a way which can be interpreted by others so that they understand what we are trying to get across.

If we start calling an "inconvenience" a "nightmare", or if we call a "disappointment" a "disaster", then what words should we use to discuss and emote regarding an ACTUAL nightmare, or disaster? There was a fabulous story (well...ok... a fable) about a shepherd boy and a wolf.

It's important to call-out the histrionics, because the board is NOT just used by the cheerleaders and the complainers...but because it is a publicly accessible forum, and when someone exaggerates unnecessarily, in a way which can ultimately be harmful to a firm whose services we enjoy.... it behooves us to speak up and reframe the drama in a realistic context.

Actually, I think very few of us have gone overboard. It's my impression, based on anecdotal evidence, that most of the overboard happenings.....are on Carnival!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

Your response tells me you take this forum much too seriously. This isn't a place where someones' life rides on the verbiage of a printed document. We're all just chatting around the water cooler here.

I have friends that belong to airline enthusiast organizations. They travel by airplane not so much for the destination but rather for the thrill of flight and the opportunity to travel upon various types of aircraft, different air lines, and to visit particular airports. They work all year long to so that they can take take a vacation and relax by traveling on airplanes. See, e.g., www.airliners.net.

I'm one of those people! I love it.

Your response tells me you take this forum much too seriously. This isn't a place where someones' life rides on the verbiage of a printed document. We're all just chatting around the water cooler here.

Nothing to do with taking anything too seriously. But with an undergrad major in languages, I take seriously how people communicate.

Saying "the sky is pink with purple polka-dots" when it's obviously blue doesn't really affect the conversation and frankly is of no effect at all....unless you're talking to a colour-blind person who can't tell the difference (although I suppose they'd see the polka-dots :rolleyes:)

In written fora (forums), words are the only thing with which we can communicate. So using words which convey the correct information IS important.

Nothing to do with taking anything too seriously. But with an undergrad major in languages, I take seriously how people communicate.

Saying "the sky is pink with purple polka-dots" when it's obviously blue doesn't really affect the conversation and frankly is of no effect at all....unless you're talking to a colour-blind person who can't tell the difference (although I suppose they'd see the polka-dots :rolleyes:)

In written fora (forums), words are the only thing with which we can communicate. So using words which convey the correct information IS important.

And of course, all members turn to you to perform this service. How long have you been employed by Cruise Critic?

Hi Kelly' date=' Good for you getting placed on a ship so quickly.

I think SDTravelers problem was the type of cabin they were originally booked in. If I am not mistaken, Pete was in a Garen Villa with a group of people. This was told to me by MrTractor. If that was the case trying to put them up would have been next to impossible if those similar cabins were already booked.

PE[/color']

Thanks friend, we missed you guys! The internet was slower then normal last week (IT manager said something was wrong and they were looking into it). It worked but to give you an idea it took 12 minutes just to check in with the airlines. So, I plan on reading this just not on the ship and I didn't have time at the airport.

We did hear 2 different stories from the ship crew about the Dawn, just wondering.

Talk to you later

An Airbus 380 has 555 seats. When these aircraft break down, do the passengers not expect to be accommodated on alternative aircraft? Choices for the carrier might include waiting out the repairs, re-booking passengers on its other aircraft or competing lines, and chartering aircraft from other lines. Would an air carrier take an aircraft out of mothballs in such a situation? Probably not. Would the air carrier tell its passengers, "Our aircraft broke down, so instead we're transporting all of you from New York to Los Angeles by bus"? Probably not. The passengers would reasonably expect to be transported by air. Sure there may be delay since, as is the case with many forms of transportation, other flights may have filled up way in advance. But, eventually, passengers will be underway by air (the contracts of carriage for airlines excludes any guarantee of on-time service; see, e.g., Delta Air Lines Rule 240).

A typical cruise ship might be larger than an Airbus 380, but when it breaks down the carrier is really in the same predicament as the air carrier. Both cases are much the same. When a carrier's vehicle breaks down its passengers have a reasonable expectation of having their transportation continued in the same manner, be it by air, land, or sea. And when such break downs occur, there will likely be delay.

Finally, what would a sea carrier do in the event that it did attempt to shuffle off all of its passengers onto an air carrier, but one or more of those passengers were refused carriage by the air carrier? See, e.g., Delta Air Lines Rule 35 that enumerates seven circumstances under which the carrier may refuse to provide transportation. If a cruise ship passenger is unfit for flight what should be done?

Sorry, that logic still doesn't fly. Air travel is more readily available than a cruise ship.

Since your avatar is the #7 train, I'll put it this way. How many times has the MTA had a line out of service and replaced the train with buses? By your logic, they should not do this and replace the train with a train, after all, you expected to arrive at your destination by train.

Well it's time to start dealing with NCL on our cancelled cruise. Added up what we(2) spent to fly down on a Saturday and fly back Monday.

Nov 28th Flight $501.38

Luggage $30.00

Hotel $69.60

Nov 30th Flight $636.40

Luggage $40.00

Change Fee $100.00

Hotel not used, priceline $81.37

Total $1,458.75

If anybody has the letter that NCL handed out could you scan it and e-mail me.

uchytil2002 AT yahoo.com

Thanks,

Steven

Here are the two newest reviews of this sailing that give more insight on this matter.

Shak

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=60178

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=60109

2 very interesting views of what did and did not happen.

The first one (HappyCamper) was very balanced. There screen name probably says a lot. I would love to know how a family who were traveling together on the same reservation number could be split up in a situation like this. That would be horrible.

I'm sorry but Ormond Beach lost me with the "never ending huckstering" line. Ormond Beach posted the same exact tirade here on this thread but I guess he wanted his one and only post here at CC put into the "permanent record".

PE

Well it's time to start dealing with NCL on our cancelled cruise. Added up what we(2) spent to fly down on a Saturday and fly back Monday.

Nov 28th Flight $501.38

Luggage $30.00

Hotel $69.60

Nov 30th Flight $636.40

Luggage $40.00

Change Fee $100.00

Total $1,458.75

uchytil2002 AT yahoo.com

Thanks,

Steven

Why is there a hotel charge and a hotel not used?? And what exactly are the luggage charges? Would you not have had those anyway?

Any travel insurance??

PE

2 very interesting views of what did and did not happen.

The first one (HappyCamper) was very balanced. There screen name probably says a lot. I would love to know how a family who were traveling together on the same reservation number could be split up in a situation like this. That would be horrible.

I'm sorry but Ormond Beach lost me with the "never ending huckstering" line. Ormond Beach posted the same exact tirade here on this thread but I guess he wanted his one and only post here at CC put into the "permanent record".

PE

I agree that the second review is not writen as well as the first one but at its core they both tell the same story.

Shak

Nov 28th Flight $501.38

Luggage $30.00

Hotel $69.60

Nov 30th Flight $636.40

Luggage $40.00

Change Fee $100.00

Total $1,458.75

uchytil2002 AT yahoo.com

Thanks,

Steven

Steve. I was just adding up our total lost also for the cruise that was cancel, we also had a huge bill that we would not of incurred if the cruise could of been taken. I feel the bad for my mother who scrimped and saved to take this cruise and now face with out of pocket expense such as her airline ticket, we couldn't get out of miami untill tuesday so yes it all add's up, didn't even hear about a letter ncl handed out, what's that all about?

please email me at

wendy_woo2@yahoo.com

or anyone else with info.

thanks

I won't make any opinions/comments because I was not in that situation, there are pro's/con's and seems that always someone gets the short end of the stick.

I've been on the other infamous Dawn Sailing in which the woman went overboard, mothers days May 11 08. The ship loosing power is a HUGE deal - they should have some kind of plan for "worst case scenario's" like this. So Sorry to hear about all this. That would've scared me just being adrift.

That being said, did they ever find out what happened with the actual ship?

"they should have some kind of plan for "worst case scenario's" like this'

Wouldn't getting to the nearest port and then back to the final destination be part of any SOP's for any of the cruise lines. No SOP's are going to be able to accomodate all the different the needs of 2000+ people.

Cheers

Dennis

Why is there a hotel charge and a hotel not used?? And what exactly are the luggage charges? Would you not have had those anyway?

Any travel insurance??

PE

Well Northwest/Delta charges for checked baggage, so the additional fees above the ticket price. We paid more on the way back for luggage because I could not do online check-in. We planned on going down a day early and staying a day after to not worry about missing the cruise or our flight home. Hotels were booked through priceline, no refunds, we didn't use the second hotel since we were back home by Monday.

Yes we would have had all the charges except for the 736.00 early flight home.

I forgot the 30.00 cab fare from the port to the hotel after we found out the cruise was cancelled.

No travel insurance..

I've known any number of folks who had degrees in the English language, for various reasons. None of them, not ONE sit around telling folks their choice of nouns and pronouns were not in accord with the Websters dictionary, or their own beliefs about what is a valid descriptor, and what is not. Your posts may have merit in a English class, but not around the water cooler. I daresay if you corrected folks chatting around the watercooler, you would not have any friends. Unless of course, you don't want to have friends here, and come here just to be a grammar and/or thought cop.

I still don't accept the right of someone who was not on-board to try and tell someone who was that their experience was not a "nightmare." If you want to split hairs, even the poor souls on the Titanic did not experieince a nightmare. After all, they weren't asleep as they hit the icy water.

It doesn't mean that someone has to forget about interpreting what might be embellishment to make a point either.

Nov 28th Flight $501.38

Luggage $30.00

Hotel $69.60

Nov 30th Flight $636.40

Luggage $40.00

Change Fee $100.00

Total $1,458.75

uchytil2002 AT yahoo.com

Thanks,

Steven

Please let us know how it goes.

"they should have some kind of plan for "worst case scenario's" like this'

Wouldn't getting to the nearest port and then back to the final destination be part of any SOP's for any of the cruise lines. No SOP's are going to be able to accomodate all the different the needs of 2000+ people.

Cheers

Dennis

Well I didn't say there should be a plan to accomodate 2000+ people. My comment was... "they should have some kind of plan for "worst case scenario's" like this' .

Sorry I didn't elaborate; Meaning that NCL Central/Corporate, the main office - should have communication with staff. Don't leave passengers not knowing- I should've been more specific, but it sounds like there communication skills sucked. Not neccessarily from the crew, but communication from Corporate, to the Crew, to the passengers. Communication is key (I am just talking about the airline/hotel thing). I think another thing they should do is arrange flights per cabin, so that everyone in your party gets where there going together.

Archived