what is the best way to make phone calls from South America back to to US?

paunch

Emailing will be my main means of communication from SA to the US, but is there a special phone, special card, or special phones at ports that work best for occasional calls back home? Thanks, Paunch

Ease of calling may vary from port to port in SA. In Buenos Aires there are locutorios - communication centers with phones and internet access - all over the place. They exist to a lesser extent in other ARG ports. International rates are low (10 cents/minute to US). Locutorios are less common in Rio de Janeiro and Brasilian ports. You may have to ask around to locate one. Long distance calling cards sold in locutorios/street kiosks offer lower rates and will allow you to call from public phones, but public phones are scarce outside the locutorios.

I use an ATT phone card from Sam's Club and look for DIal USA toll free numbers from the various countries. I use phone banks near the ship to call.

I also use a GSM world cell phone for local calls to tour operators. This keeps them honest. Never turn on your cellphone on the ship = $12.95/min!

I also use a GSM world cell phone for local calls to tour operators. This keeps them honest. Never turn on your cellphone on the ship = $12.95/min!

Has anyone experience (bought and used it) with a local prepaid cell phone sim card in chile & argentinia?

Paunch -

no credit card or phone card needed. Just go to the receptionist, she gives you a booth number. you go in that booth, make your calls, then go back to the receptionist and pay the amount owed. very easy and no need to have a phone card, prepaid or otherwise!

We are leaving Ushuaia today to fly back to BA and we go to Iguassu Falls tomorrow. We will definitely miss these magnificent mountains and cool fresh air!

Although it is much more expensive per minute that going to a local telephone office, you can get an international cell phone from Mobal Communications (http://www.mobal.com) and they will sell you a cheap phone that can then be used in virtually any country. Their rates tend to be $1.95 per minute and up, but work almost anywhere. There is no monthly or annual charge, just a per use charge. They also rent satellite phones, which are not a bad deal -- compared to the cell phones they sell.

As I said, not as cheap as a local phone office, but a nice alternative you can use if you travel a lot.

As the previous person said, I also borrow an international cell phone from Verizon. I can keep my own cell phone number. I only pay, if I use it. Texting is inexpensive, calling is not ($2-4/minute). I like knowing I can be reached in an emergency.

Verizon ended their partnership with Vodaphone for international phone rentals/exchanges on October 31. SOME Verizon stores will allow you to borrow an international phone on a short term loan basis for the next 6 months, but not all stores have this capability. Company wide, Verizon's new policy is to REQUIRE everyone to OWN an international phone if you want to use it overseas. Verizon makes no money on phone sales, but looks to airtime/roaming fees for profits. So be prepared to PURCHASE a new global phone in most circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

When I work on cruise ships I simply follow the Philippino crew. they are the most avid users of international calls and they know where the crew call centers are. Typically you have two choices, the booths as mentioned above, and international calling cards. These will not work on ships...think the apollo or upcoming moon projects when onboard!

Most calling cards have local access numbers and if staying at hotels, typically they allow free local calling. worst case scenario the lobby or airport always has payphones. otherwise good luck finding one as everybody seems to have a cell phone now.

I have found that when in south american countries, many phone cards that show a local access number for south american countries...well, they do not work. maybe they did as of the second to last printing.

Buy a local phone card when in your ports of call. even if $5 bucks for say 50 to 100 minutes...still cheaper than $8 bucks a minute onboard. who cares if you do not use it all up? you saved a lot of money in the end.

Archived