Need Information on Monarch of the Seas

kuddles14

I just got off RCCL web site and my husband and I are thinking of booking a cruise on the Monarch of the Seas for December 27, 2010. Could anyone that has sailed on her please give me your opinion. We will be doing the Bahamas I believe it is 4 days. I am also looking for information on cabins. We are looking to book an ocean view since we have another cruise booked in June of 2010. Could you also suggest a hotel near the port. Thank you.

Kathy

we have cruised about 27 times, when we leave from port canaveral we stay at the radisson at the port, they have a park and cruise package, in fact we will be there in december for the freedom of the seas cruise. we were on the monarch two months ago, first time for a 4 day and first time on the monarch. great great ship. lost of energy from the entertainment staff, and the best crew bar none, and i'm not kidding. here are the drawbacks, we booked inside, the room had no safe, no frig, and was sooooooooooo small., but would i do it again you bet, in a heart beat. we actually met a lady that cruises her every three weeks.........we went to private island, lots of fun, with a b b que... then to nassau where we went to the public beach, had no trouble nobody bothered us, and we had the most fun..............go, do, have fun...........kathy

We have stayed on Monarch both in smaller rooms and in suites. Only suites have balconeys, and do give much more room with of course more cost. For only two, a standard outside could be alright as long as you aren't in the cabin for too long.

The ship itself is well kept. It was state of the art in 91, but that was some time ago. The staff is for the most part very welcoming. The nice thing is that compared with many larger, newer ships, it is ridiculously easy to find your way around and there are many places from which you have a wonderful view of the ocean. In that respect, it is more outward looking than many newer ships.

The Windjammer is adequate, and the MDR food and service very good. My time dining has taken off on this ship and takes up more than half of one of the two dining rooms.

One thing to note is that there are only two pools and two whirlpools, with the whirlpools often overrun with children. Depending on you, that may or may not be an issue. The ship can seem somewhat crowded during full sailings, as it can push around 2,500 onboard with only 70K tons.

All in all, though, it is a nicely kept and run, "classic" ship which for a 3 or 4 day getaway delivers plenty of fun.

In my opinion, one of the best deals for cabins on Monarch are the deck 8 ocean views. These cabins are noted as obstructed, because the lifeboats are mounted at the top of the view out the deck 8 windows. You can still see down to the ocean, but not straight out to the horizon. There are also many cabins on deck 8 that are located between lifeboats where the view is less obstructed. As far in advance as you are booking, you should have a good chance of getting one of the less obstructed cabins.

If you want a little more space, and a safe, then choose a deck 9 superior ocean view.

Thank you everyone!!!!! I just shot off an e-mail to our TA to get a price quote on both a superior ocean view and a junior suite. Hubbie likes having a balcony and so do I, but I think we will more than likely be going with the ocean view since we are only taking a 4 day cruise.

Just got off the Monarch and we got upgraded to a junior suite - the ocean view would have been Ok - but I do like the tub and the balcony in the suite-- staff is excellent - our Canadian adopted son is Drew Devine and depending on when your going he will be there til the 18th of January -- hope you cruise when he's aboard - he won't be back til the end of March though - he was completely exhausted by the end of four days - he's young and I dont know how he does it - but I know you w3ill enjoy him and his staff - there was always something to do

It was a little hairy on boarding - so many people and a smaller ships, means less elevators, so be patient when you try to get to your cabin

Captain and crew are fantastic and I know you will enjoy it

This was our smallest ship we sailed on and we kind of enjoyed it - something like a smaller version of the Jewel

Have fun:)

Well we know the cruise director and he arranged it for us

It was funny, cause we always go to the guest relations desk and ask and they said the ship was fully booked - but you have to have an "in" with someone to go beyond that. There are a lot of openings on your cruise I think, you can call your travel agent or whoever booked your cruise and ask as well

Hope this helps:)

We are leaving next Sat for our 7th Monarch cruise this year. Love this little ship for a quick weekend getaway. Staff is great, for an older ship it is very well maintained. We also have a soft spot for Monarch as she was our very 1st cruise in 1994 - when she was the biggest in the world!!

Can't wait to see her all decorated for xmas. First time on a ship for xmas decorations. Monarch did a great job of decorating for the 4th of July, so guessing the xmas decoration will be really nice also.

In my opinion, one of the best deals for cabins on Monarch are the deck 8 ocean views. These cabins are noted as obstructed, because the lifeboats are mounted at the top of the view out the deck 8 windows. You can still see down to the ocean, but not straight out to the horizon. There are also many cabins on deck 8 that are located between lifeboats where the view is less obstructed. As far in advance as you are booking, you should have a good chance of getting one of the less obstructed cabins.

If you want a little more space, and a safe, then choose a deck 9 superior ocean view.

We are looking at Majesty for the same dates next year. Can you give me some way to determine which cabins on Deck 8 are between the lifeboats so as to provide a bit more light and view? Since she is the same ship as Monarch, I'm assuming the placement would be the same.

We are looking at Majesty for the same dates next year. Can you give me some way to determine which cabins on Deck 8 are between the lifeboats so as to provide a bit more light and view? Since she is the same ship as Monarch, I'm assuming the placement would be the same.

I have a JPG diagram at home that shows the minimally obstructed cabins. Unfortunately I can't get it right now. Maybe someone else will post it in the meantime?

The ones marked have little to no obstruction.............

another MN lover here.........in a few weeks,will be my 10th time on her:)

2744539470042692775S600x600Q85.jpg

We'll be sailing the Monarch for the first time December 11th. We understand that there is no Concierge Lounge, but we hope there will be an evening social.

There will be........plus a breakfast for D/DP.......

• 5 weeks later...

Kathy,

We just booked the Family Suite (#1549) for my family of 5 for that same 4 nighter, Dec 27-31, 2010.. This will be step back in ship size from our past, but I am looking forward to it. See ya' there !

David:D

Kathy,

We just booked the Family Suite (#1549) for my family of 5 for that same 4 nighter, Dec 27-31, 2010.. This will be step back in ship size from our past, but I am looking forward to it. See ya' there !

David:D

Archived