Do Not Use Captain Marvin

RENEEG

We just returned from the Jan2 sailing of the Conquest. Based on information on this board I booked a stringray storkel with Captain Marvin for 10 people.

First off the boats hold 50 people. We walked from the pier to Captain Marvin's which was an easy walk. I paid the fees then we boarded a shuttle bus to take us to the boats. It was interesting but aweful to see the devastation from the hurricane. Grand Cayman really got hit hard.

After we boarded the boat we headed out to the first snorkeling stop. Most of the members of the group had a blast. A couple of us were recovering from Bronchitis and just had to enjoy the gorgeous water. We then proceeded to Stringray city. The boat anchored and people began jumping off the back end of the boat we head out to the stringrays. We were sitting to the front of the boat so we were not the first nor the last to enter the water. My son jumped in. My nephew was going to hand him my younger nephew but before he could do this one of the crew threw the bucket of squid and the weights over back of the boat, directly into the group of passengers. Unfortunately the weight hit my son in the head. He went under water for a second and came up and told the guy he had hit him with the weight. He came back on board and was bleeding. The weight had broken the skin. No one from the crew even came over. Luckily my sister is a nurse and examined the wound. She had antiseptic in her purse and applied it. She said it was not deep and thought he would be okay. We decided he should put ice on it. We had to locate a crew member to request ice. My son was not feeling well and my daughter and I were quite upset. We asked to return to shore. They said we would ruin everyone's trip, but they would call the boss and see if he could send someone to pick us up. After a 20 minute wait he returned and said the small boat would not start, could we finished the trip so we wouln't disappoint the rest of the passengers. We agreed because we felt we didn't have much choice and my son seemed to be doing okay. When we returned to port we went by Captain Marvins and told them what happened. I forgot this part. After my son put the ice on his head and was sitting there resting the crew spoke to one another in Spanish( which they did not realize he understood everything they said) saying he should quit whining and take an aspirin.

We were given a refund for 3 out of 10 people. It was not a terrible accident but the crew were very unconcerned and had absolutely no first aid training. Especially since the accident was caused by one of the crew's carelessness.

My son visited the ship's infirmary upon return and ended up with just a small bump, cut, and sore head. We ran into another passenger from the excursion and he said the crew member also threw the anchor out in similarly careless manner. Be careful if you use Captain Marvin's.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear what happened to your son. As much as I loved Captain Marvin's, I agree that you have good reason to be very unhappy with them. I have never said this before, but I remember when we were on our trip with them, one of the crew members just sent the anchor a sailing into the air and down it went. At the time there were many people around where we had stopped. Hubby commented that they were very lucky that the anchor didn't hit anyone. At that time, we were all in the boat, so none of us were in any danger. I don't remember them tossing anything off the back of the boat, but they very well may have.

I found our crew to be very helpful and kind and I would use them in the future, but it sounds like they need to address a few issues on customer safety.

We just returned on 1/9 from our cruise and we used Capt Bryans/Bucaneer. There were maybe 25 on the boat. We had a great experience and would recommend him highly. You have to walk a few blocks to his location. They had ice water (free) on the catamaran. He used the sail on the way back and the motor on the way out.

• 1 year later...

Rest assured RENEEG that 99% of those reading this board do not view your post as whiny, self-centered, or any other such thing. It is absolutely, without question, inexcusable to hit someone in the water (regardless of whether he/she is a passenger off your boat or another boat) with a weight or bucket or whatever thrown over the side. The crew member that did it should be fired - immediately. Such stupidity could get someone killed. Why anyone would even hint at defending such conduct is beyond my comprehension. I would not think it out of place for you to Google search for a Grand Cayman attorney and run it by one just to see the situation under local law - not that you want to go that far or have any intent to go that far, but just for the information; both as a matter of civil law and as a matter of filing a police report. I say this with a firm belief that this kind of conduct is NOT typical of a Cayman islander and would in no way be condoned by anyone on island.

(Just noticed that RENEEG's original post was in January 2005 - so, it may be well past time to check with local attorney - but I probably would have at some point. Not sure why post was made in March 2006 about original post.)

Fired immediatley? Attorney?? Seriously? I think that maybe a little more attentiveness on the crew's part would have resolved the issue as nothing seemed life threatening and I am certain the crew did not intend to hurt anyone. I have to somewhat side with c4cab as it did seem a LITTLE whiny. Accidents happen. It's a bit of a stretch to think that the boat would go all the way back for such a small incident as this. This is "grown up" world.

First, I agree with BrianL S, and c4cab, it seems like a waho is me sort of story???

Next I used them in Jan. 06 on the Mariner. They were Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact they took much notice of all 5 of our kids. During the snorkel part my daughter wasn't sure she wanted to, they talked to her and convinced her to try, which made me VERY happy, she did it for a short while under they're supervision and then got back on the boat.

My son didn't want to get out at the Ray's, they tried to talk to him and he wanted nothing to do with it, they talked him into sitting on the back ledge of the boat and brought him a Ray to touch, and get pictures of. My nephew was too short to get in the water that day, really choppy, one of the 3 guides gave him a piggy back ride almost the whole time, helped him feed and pet the Ray's. Now if that isn't above and beyond, I don't know what would be??

Accidents do happen and maybe that kid got in the way at the wrong time?? We may never know, but I don't want people to assume one bad seed can spoil everything.

We had a super time and the entire company of Captian Marvins is wonderful, helpful and friendly.

I am completely serious. I just am amazed that anyone would find it "just one of those things" when a crew member throws something overboard that hits a passenger who is in the water on the head, breaks skin, and bloodies the guy.

Do you really think that the guy who did this should be on a crew that is taking out passengers for swimming with the rays every day? Does it matter whether the crew even looked before throwing it into the water? Does it matter whether the crew offered an apology, or had on board or offered a first aid kit?

Well, in any event, I guess I was wrong in my earlier post - more people than I would have thought (one more) find the conduct of the crew unremarkable.

The critique originally posted is whiny and self-centered. An accident such as that which supposedly happened can indeed occur on any of the tours to Stingray City. This person has obviously not spent much time outside of the United States where standards are different. Rather than expect the world to conform to your standards, try to accept people for what they are.

The crews of these trips for the most part are not Caymanian and do the best that they can. They are not paid a fortune, and it is hard work tolerating overbearing cruise ship passengers every day.

Captain Marvin himself, who still takes out passengers every day except Sunday, is an extraordinary man who was one of the first to "discover" Stingray City. He will be ninety years old this coming September.

Please come back and spend more than 5 hours in Cayman. Downtow Georgetown is NOT Cayman. It is an artificial Disneyland for cruise ship passengers.

You wouldnt happen to work for Capt.Marvin,would you??:confused:

how can you say it was a whinny post????? i would have been pissed and you can bet i would have been in the face of that crew had that been my kid... we did the rays and nothing was thrown over board... were we anchord before any got off and then the food was past out a little at a time.......

that could have worse than it was....thank goodness it was not........

Archived