Camera and excursion question

lleydens

My dh and I will be visiting Belize in 2 weeks. He has a very nice slr camera and lens.

We would like to take it on our excursion to the ruins but areconcerned about theft etc. We are going on a ship sponsored excursion if that matters. It will never leave his body.

He has never traveled outside of the US (besides Canada) so this is all new for him.

Has anyone else taken a nicer camera on excursions? and have you had any problems with crime/theft?

The events in the bahamas have him even more concerned. ANy insight is much appreciated.

My dh and I will be visiting Belize in 2 weeks. He has a very nice slr camera and lens.

We would like to take it on our excursion to the ruins but areconcerned about theft etc. We are going on a ship sponsored excursion if that matters. It will never leave his body.

He has never traveled outside of the US (besides Canada) so this is all new for him.

Has anyone else taken a nicer camera on excursions? and have you had any problems with crime/theft?

The events in the bahamas have him even more concerned. ANy insight is much appreciated.

I think you are fine at the ruins. You will be on a bus from the cruise terminal, and obviously you can hold the camera on the bus. :) And the ruins are all paid entry, and you will have a guide, so I doubt there will be many people around who would be looking to steal your camera. You will be around more cruise ship passengers than locals at the ruins, if that is your concern. Now, I have certainly heard of petty theft on cruise ships, which I mostly hope are crimes of opportunity- too hard to pass up an unattended camera, iPod, whathave you.

If you are wandering around Belize City- I'd just say keep your eye behind the lens and take pics- hard to get your camera stolen if you are actively using it :D

I personally felt that Belize in general is very safe, although Belize City is pretty yucky- the rest of the country is beautiful. He should be aware that Belize is very hot & humid, and depending on which ruin you go to, a tropical mid-day rain shower is not out of the question. It may be brief, but intense!

I have never been to the Bahamas, so I can't offer you any input from there.

Archived