DIY in Alexandria & Cairo??

a&n09012

Yep - we have done a taxi tour in Cairo with another couple. It was a few years back but was no problem and we saw and did a lot. Got the taxi on the dock.

Alexandria we did on our own earlier this year. We took a city tram which was ridiculously inexpensive...4 cents? Then we walked around the city, did some shopping, checked our email, and went to the great library. People were very friendly and helpful. We got a taxi back to the ship. A map will be helpful.

Have fun!

Dee

If you are not a big fan of ship's tours on large tour buses and want to see as much as you can, I would recommend doing a private tour, either a full day or overnight if you will have two days in Alexandria. We just returned from a fabulous overnight tour with Ramses Tours. Guide and driver were excellent and we were able to see and do so much more since everything was pre-planned. You can email them at info@ramsestours.com or ramsestours@hotmail.com and inquire about tour options and prices. Tell them what you want to do and where you want to go and they will customize the tour for you and give you a price. We were with another couple and it was just the 4 of us in a comfortable air conditioned mini-van with driver and guide. Prices are about half of what they would cost on a ship's tour and you will see a whole lot more than what the ship's tours will offer. They will be able to help you with touring both Alexandria and Cairo. Not enough time in Egypt to see and do it all, but try to make the most of your time there and see and do as much as you can. Ramses was very accommodating. We had a wonderful time!!:p

Has anyone done a DIY tour of Alexandria and Cario? We aren't really a fan of tour buses but if it is the only option then i guess that what we will do. Any suggestions or advice?????

We also didn't want a tour bus or to be bound to an itinerary that didn't interest us. I booked a private tour with Moustafa Egypt Tours (usually an ad link to him is at the top of this page). I saw a bunch of great reviews of Moustafa here and he was wonderful and patient working with us to book a schedule of exactly what we want to see and we'll be able to go at our own pace (and see some places that aren't on the excursion). And the best thing is it's even less expensive than the ship tour, but we'll have a car to ourselves with a driver and guide.

Best,

Mia

Has anyone done a DIY tour of Alexandria and Cario? We aren't really a fan of tour buses but if it is the only option then i guess that what we will do. Any suggestions or advice?????

Two years ago on first trip to Egypt, we did the ship excursion from Pt. Said into Cairo. Yes, it was a large tour bus, lots of people, little time at some sights, a shopping stop that we could have done without, etc.

We are going to Egypt again in Jan/Feb on Med cruise. This time, we are booked with Ramses for Cairo tour.

We also didn't want a tour bus or to be bound to an itinerary that didn't interest us. I booked a private tour with Moustafa Egypt Tours (usually an ad link to him is at the top of this page). I saw a bunch of great reviews of Moustafa here and he was wonderful and patient working with us to book a schedule of exactly what we want to see and we'll be able to go at our own pace (and see some places that aren't on the excursion). And the best thing is it's even less expensive than the ship tour' date=' but we'll have a car to ourselves with a driver and guide.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Mia,

I am currently researching Cairo tour operators. I am having a hard time getting into Moustafa's website for specific information and cannot get into its forum to read people's comments even after I registered.

Do you mind telling me what is your itinerary and how much you have to pay?

We are sailing on 1/24.

Thanks much

Mia,

I am currently researching Cairo tour operators. I am having a hard time getting into Moustafa's website for specific information and cannot get into its forum to read people's comments even after I registered.

Do you mind telling me what is your itinerary and how much you have to pay?

We are sailing on 1/24.

Thanks much

If you email Moustafa directly, he's very quick and friendly: moustafa at moustafaegypttours com .

We are paying $305 per person for 2 adults (we also have 2 children who are free) to do an overnight (includes our overnight stay at Le Meridian. We have a child friendly itinerary that includes a short stop at the Egyptian Museum, the Citadel, Mohamed Ali Alabaster Mosque, Al-Azhar Park, the Khan El-Khalilli Bazaar and then the Sound & Light Show (extra $25 each). The next day we'll do Giza and then head back to the ship. Again, all this was put together to suit our desires, so your itinerary could include anything you want.

There is also a larger group of about 12 on our roll call who have arranged an overnight with Moustafa for about $175 per person (including hotel).

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. I've been very happy with our dealings with Moustafa, so I'm glad I listened to those here who recommended him. There is another group on our roll call who is going with Ramses, and they are happy with them as well, but shoot Moustafa an email.

Best,

Mia

We also prefer smaller groups or private tours to large bus excursions. We opted to use nile blue for our private overnight excursion and were very pleased. Our guide and driver were both excellent and we were able to put together a custom itinerary that included a stop at the fantastic but rarely visited red and bent pyramids. The cost including everything was about $330 pp (including pyramid view rooms at le meridien)

Archived