Portofino's on Voyager-What day is best?

Tlplano

Hi. We will be on Voyager 2/7/2010 and celebrating DW's birthday on the 7th (the first night of the cruise).

Is this a good night for Portofino's? Or, should we wait for a different night, later in the week. I do plan on making reservations online, soon.

Also, I am wondering if Portofino's does anything special for Valentine's Day. Our last night on the ship will be the night before Valentine's.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which night of the week is best for the specialty restaurant or knows if they do a different/special menu on the night before Valentine's?

I have a big responsibility that week as we start off celebrating her 50th (and trying to watch the Super Bowl) and end the cruise on Valentines Day. I'd like to make it memorable.

Thanks so much for any help and/or suggestions.

Go on the birthday. Make sure to contact the Portifino's staff earlier the day you board and let them know you are celebrating DW's birthday.

The crew in there, if the same as last year are very nice and will go out of their way to make sure you and your DW have a great birthday celebration.

One night they will do Mystrey Dinner and another a Wine Dinner so really if you don't want to do those special nights, you only have 5 nights from which to choose. If you really like Formal night in MDR...knock off a couple more nights...eaving the birthday probably the best overall choice.

Last time I was on VOTS I had dinner up there 3 of the 7 nights.

Thanks Dave. I have been leaning towards that day, but then remembered Valentine's Day and had to ask the question.

Still wondering if anyone knows of any special menu or service on a night like Valentine's.

I could be wrong, but I believe that Voyager does not allow online reservations for Portofino's. I have no idea why it is the only exception in the RCI fleet. I'm sailing on 12/13/09, and I found this to be true in my case. I kept waiting for the time to get closer so that the reservation option would become available online, and when it didn't, I emailed and that was the response. Their policy could change with the new year and you might not find any problems.

Thanks everyone for the help.

sgermic--I have gone through the "fake" process of booking Portofino's for this cruise and the site did allow a reservation to be made. Haven't completed it yet as I am still trying to get a handle on what the rest of the week will be like for us. Thanks.

Got to handle this right. DW is really looking forward to this birthday, and with Valentine's the same week, I should be able to score some major points. ;)

Are you saying your wonderful bride is not worth two nights at Portofino's??

For a free cruise, I promise to not tell her you were only willing to take her once!

The menu at Portofino's is so exquisite, you do not need a special Valentine's menu!!!!

Service is impeccible, food outstanding!!!!!!!

Do both nights!

I've booked Valentine's night for several in our group, so it is possible to do online. Our reservations opened up right around the 90 days out mark.

I'm also curious to know if there will be a special menu for Valentines, if anyone knows.....

TexasMunk-no offense, but no deal. Instead of paying the blackmail I think I should just book EVERY night in Portofino's. Bride is definitley worth it and I will be covered.

Go for it. You will want to skip MDR on all future cruises then. Big mistake on my part last cruise 5 nights between Chops and Portifinos and no MDR...next cruise my parents are along as well so I doubt we are doing 5 in Specialty. In fact I have to see what is aboard Enchantment anyhow.

Enjoy that special cruise!!!

If you keep dinner plans secret, you can go do sail away from Crown Lounge and share the news that you have a special really nice dinner planned.

If you are in a Suite send an email to the Concierge and get him to set your dinners up and he can also make sure that the birthday surprise is all set.

Hi. We will be on Voyager 2/7/2010 and celebrating DW's birthday on the 7th (the first night of the cruise).

Is this a good night for Portofino's? Or, should we wait for a different night, later in the week. I do plan on making reservations online, soon.

QUOTE]

We went on the first night--it was dead. They gave us a 20% off coupon for the spa and a free champagne cocktail.

Thanks TEXASMUNK. By the way, this will be our 3rd time on Voyager. We love it and obviously love sailing from Galveston. We have done VOTS, Splendour, Rhapsody and even Conquest from there.

We enjoy the MDR, but have wanted to try Porto...Got hooked recently after trying the steakhouse on Conquest a few weeks ago. It was great.

And, Rancher Dave, I like the idea of setting things up ahead of time. We have a JR on the hump, but not a regular suite. DW thinks we are in the belly again down on deck 2. I think she will love that surprise along with the Romance Package and the decorations/flower cake our kids have arranged.

Even like the idea of a discount klscaz talked about. Hope they find a way to pass one on to us.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

TIM

You all will have a great time. I'd probably not do Portofino on the first night just because of just getting into the swing. I agree with the other posters with respect to Portofino instead of formal night in the MDR. It does have a nice menu with the food and service very, very good.

I'm on the 1/24 sailing and can't wait!!! At least two nights in Portofino for us. Going on Serenade in May with both Chops and Porto and will likely do a MDR "boycott". Obviously will tip as suggested. :)

Even like the idea of a discount klscaz talked about. Hope they find a way to pass one on to us.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

TIM

The spa coupon was offered because it was the first night--to drum up business! You will love your junior suite!!!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I agree with lcguy about getting into the swing of things on the first night. However, I am making a reservation for the first night on DW's actual birthday because she will really like the special service on her special day. And will probably book on the ship for the last night before Valentine's.

Thanks everybody!

TIM

Archived