Don't know what to do

Orcrone

There are four of us (two adults, two teenagers) in our party. I booked a room through Priceline at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport for March 25. I had called previously to request two double beds. I called back today to double check it. The person I spoke to said they have the request, however all rooms with doubles are already booked, so essentially we're waiting listed.

I then looked at their website and went through the motions of booking a room. Sure enough two double beds is an option for that night. Any suggestions of what I should do would be appreciated. Should I call and ask them about it? Do you think they hold all rooms for full-price guests, and won't commit ahead of time?

Thanks.

At this point there really isn't much you can do. One of the unfortunate risks with using PL is the chance you may get one bed or the dreaded "Priceline room"--the one that missed all the upgrading and has a view of the dumpster or elevator shaft or both. Now since there is still availability on the Sheraton site for doubles that is a good sign. I suggest in lieu of calling you send an email to the hotel directly. I would not mention that you have previously spoken with anyone. Just say you need two beds and hopefully you will get an email back saying okay. Print that email and bring it with you. There is still no 100% guarantee you will get the two beds, but I find this way work best. Additionally when you check in, if the double rooms are all booked you may be able to get a couple of roll away beds. Also when checking in, if they say there are no doubles left you may want to ask about paying to upgrade to a business class room.....these usually cost about $20-30 more and may have the doubles that you need. Good luck.

Orcone: What hotels often do (I was in the industry for 10 years) is hold out a few rooms for people who chose to stay over an additional night so that they do not have to move their stuff/rooms. I would suggest that you phone the hotel and speak with the manager directly; explain to them that you have no intention on sharing a bed with a teenager and you would like a room with two double beds. If you get a good manager he/she will accomodate you.

It's unfortunate but some of the front desk people are not always helpful or willing to make sure that things happen. It should not matter who you booked the room thru, the hotels use these sites because it sells rooms...regardless!

Hope it works out,

Deb

When you bid on Priceline you are guaranteed a room that will accomodate two people, and that is ALL you are promised. It can be a double bed in a room that has a window facing a wall. You are not in any position whatsoever to call a manager and demand anything. While most hotels will do their best to accomodate additional people on your reservation they are not in anyway obligated to do so. In fact some hotels have started charging at check in for any additional occupants above and beyond the guaranteed two.

I dont know if this is always successful, but I try to get to the hotel as early as possible when the number of available rooms is at its highest point. Many people wait until 3pm to check in and might end up with the short end of the straw.

Its funny I have the opposite thing happen to me when using priceline. They always try to give a room with double beds when I travel solo. Most hotels in Florida are designed with families in mind, so there is an abundance of double rooms. In places like DC,NY,Boston downtown areas there are lots of room with a single bed.

Hope it works out for you.

I book directly with hotels because I'm too worried that something like this might happen. BUT........I have always had luck with special requests by sending the hotel a letter before hand; not e-mailing. I just state that I'm looking forward to my stay on...........and would really appreciate it if.................. I also ask a couple of questions and request a brochure. I have always received a reply so, at least, I know they received and read my letter. Good luck.

dst and dosi,

dosi is correct in that Priceline only guarantees a room for two. Demanding would not be the correct tact. However, I do agree with dst abput speaking with the manager. You always get better results with honey than vinegar.

I'm thinking that they won't guarantee any rooms with double beds for Priceline customers because it's only guaranteed for two. However, if available I'm sure that they will put us there.

I dont know if this is always successful, but I try to get to the hotel as early as possible when the number of available rooms is at its highest point. Many people wait until 3pm to check in and might end up with the short end of the straw.

Hope it works out for you.

MyImagination. Thanks for the good wishes.

Actually, our flight doesn't land until 10 PM, so we'll be arriving late. That may work in our favor, as the people in full price, cancelable rooms that don't show by 6 PM will have their rooms put back into inventory.

Orocone: I was not implying that you should demand anything; that is never the correct way about it. But to be honest even if it were only two people it may be a relative that you don't enjoy sharing a room with. My brother and I travel together often but I really do not like sleeping in the same bed with him *LOL*

All you can do is ask, and usually any good manager will do anything to help. The hotels truly do not hold it against you that you used a discounted program, they are still making money and they like the revenue no matter how they get it.

Good luck,

We also have this hotel thru Priceline. We are a family of three. As soon as I had it I called and asked about my daughter. I was told no problem. (Feb) I called last night and the girl the reservation for 2 could not be changed because it was thru Priceline. HUmmm I asked if the room was a double and she said yes. So I am not assuming there wil be a problem, I hope.

we spoke to the same person. She did tell me that they had my request in their computer. I also called up right after winning the bid. I'm thinking that they won't tell any Priceline customers that they can have two doubles as they don't want to commit the rooms. However, if that's the case then I feel a little better about it. It would be nice knowing for sure before arriving.

We also have this hotel thru Priceline. We are a family of three. As soon as I had it I called and asked about my daughter. I was told no problem. (Feb) I called last night and the girl the reservation for 2 could not be changed because it was thru Priceline. HUmmm I asked if the room was a double and she said yes. So I am not assuming there wil be a problem, I hope.

Archived