Flow rider

hlb76

Anyone have any experience on using this? I tried searching but it did not get my anywhere. I was wondering cost and if it would be fun for my boys 9 and 14. I think we plan to spend the day at the cruise port on the beach so I thought this might give them a WOW factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this on our last cruise in June and did have a lot of fun. I pre-reserved this excursion on Princess' web site as soon as I was able to. It sold out very fast (all pre-reserved).

There was a group of about 10-12 of us. There were all ages, kids around your boys age with their parents, and a few other families. They brought us to the flow rider and gave us some instructions on how to do it and some tips. Then they did a demo. Well they make it look so easy, but it is hard (but was fun!)

They have a body board where you lay on your stomach and try to ride the waves. If you are really able to handle it, you can try to do some spins and flips. They also have a stand up board which is similar to skateboarding/snowboarding. Being a snowboarder, I thought this would be much easier but it wasn't. I don't think I lasted more than 10 seconds on the stand up board. The body board was much easier for me.

First we did the body board, and it was 1 person at a time. After you went down it (or in most instances, wiped out) it was the next persons turn. I think we did 2 rounds of this. After the body board, we did the same thing with the stand up board.

Once we finished this, they gave each person 1-2 more runs on whatever board they wanted.

The only thing I didn't like was the waiting for my turn. It seemed to take a while to get through everyone. I would have preferred to have just done it for 10 minutes straight or whatever the time allowed worked out to be, then have the next person go. I think I would have picked it up a little better also.

All in all, it was a lot of fun. It was about $39 which was a lot for the actual amount of time I got to use it, but its not like I can do that at home so I figured why not. I'm going back to Grand Turk in April, but am just going to hang out by the pool and have a few drinks (didn't want to drink before the flow rider). That being said, I think your boys will love it. Its something to definitely try but definitely try to pre-reserve it if you can. If you need me to post pictures, just let me know.

This is GREAT information! Thank you both! We are travelling in March and wanted to reserve this for our son. IF we reserve it for him can we accompany him on the excrusion but not participate?Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of beach chairs along the pool right next to the Flowrider for you to sit and take pictures/videos of your son. Both of my sons loved the Flowrider. It looked like so much fun, I was sorry I didn't include myself when I made the reservation.

I loved the flow rider on the Freedom of the Seas. I was at least 55 years older than the kids I was waiting in line with - and the 6 year old in front of me was giving me lessons during our 15 minute wait for our turn. Very few adults tried it, but the kids spent the day there! I'm going on the Emerald in 2 weeks - I'll have to check it out!

• 2 months later...

Okay so I was a competitive skateboarder for 6 years plus, picked up surfing the first day I tried it, and was okay at snowboarding the firs time I tried it this year (even though I fell a lot more than the other 2, due to the fact that you cannot bail on a snowboard) Anyways I am wondering if this is something I would pick up easily? Also if there are a lot of people are you telling me I could probably only ride 4-5 times and pay 39 dollars? if so I would rather take a golf cart around with friends and then booze at margaritaville. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

I believe this Flowrider was IN Margarittaville. I saw it when I was there last week. The prices were listed at $29-39. There was ~12 to 15 people in a line waiting to get on. It was just a small pool of water that flowed upward (Looked like the same thing one of the cruiselines has on their ship-Carnival I think). I think it was an hour and a half long.

Archived