Belize and Blood Donations

Jt4428

Just thought I'd share. We were on Liberty of the Seas the first week in November. It stopped at Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. My 16 year old went to give blood at his school on Tuesday. The nurse asked if he had travelled at all in the last 3 years. We've taken a cruise to the Caribbean all 3 years, but he only told them about the latest. When he mentioned Belize, they said that Belize City is the only city in Belize that does not have a malaria threat. I thought that was interesting. They let him give blood, although he failed to mention that we went cave tubing an hour away.

Had he mentioned that he had been anywhere near a jungle, he would have been hustled out the door in a hurry! My brother-in-law was banned from donating blood for a whole year, after our trip to Belize. We also did the cave tubing, and had a BLAST!

I don't mean this in a bad way, but why would someone want to donate blood if they've been traveling in a tropical area where there is a malaria threat? The safety of the donated blood supply is so important to sick and injured people, I would think honesty is paramount.

To continue the conversation...if you take malaria prophylactics (anti-malaria pills) you cannot donate either. (That is what I experienced.) So either way, you cannot donate for at least 6 months to a year.

• 2 weeks later...

In Canada Canadian Blood services will not accept your blood even if you don't get off the ship. If it goes to Belize you are at risk for malaria. Malaria can kill a pregnant woman. You could be infected and not know it yet then you give blood and kill someone. This ban lasts for one year after your visit. This is not to say many people come back from central america with malaria but we are trying to keep our blood supply as safe as possible.

I will be in Belize in Jan on the Navigator and again in Feb on the Liberty. I was thinking about going to the Mayan Ruins at Lamanai in Feb. My daughter is pregnant (due May 1) and is not cruising with us, and doesn't live with us. Should I take extra precautions going to Belize since I will be around her before the baby is born? Maybe I shouldn't go to the Ruins? TIA I will check with my family doctor, and have her check which her Dr. for their advice.

Archived