recommended snorkeling in st kitts?

Tricky Diggy

Just back from a week in St. Kitts. Brought my snorkeling gear despite what I had heard of (and previously experienced) as poor snorkeling on St. Kitts. Glad I did. We went twice to a place called the Shipwreck on the south side of the island, an easy taxi ride from the port. Very nice, casual little place as close to the water as you can get. There is a platform reef just offshore- not deep but with an interesting collection of fish. I have been snorkeling the Caribbean for almost 30 years, and I saw a half dozen species there that were new to me. The coral itself is not at all interesting, though.

There is a very mild current that runs along the shore, but you can get out at any time and simply walk back (5 minutes). This is easy, but interesting, snorkeling.

When you are done in the water, there are plenty of beach chairs available with shade. (Two chairs cost you $10, I believe.) They have a casual restaurant with good food. Get the fish tacos. Best of all, the beer (try a Stag, which is brewed locally) is the coldest on the island. When you're all done, there are plenty of taxis hanging around.

• 2 weeks later...
Just back from a week in St. Kitts. Brought my snorkeling gear despite what I had heard of (and previously experienced) as poor snorkeling on St. Kitts. Glad I did. We went twice to a place called the Shipwreck on the south side of the island, an easy taxi ride from the port. Very nice, casual little place as close to the water as you can get. There is a platform reef just offshore- not deep but with an interesting collection of fish. I have been snorkeling the Caribbean for almost 30 years, and I saw a half dozen species there that were new to me. The coral itself is not at all interesting, though.

There is a very mild current that runs along the shore, but you can get out at any time and simply walk back (5 minutes). This is easy, but interesting, snorkeling.

When you are done in the water, there are plenty of beach chairs available with shade. (Two chairs cost you $10, I believe.) They have a casual restaurant with good food. Get the fish tacos. Best of all, the beer (try a Stag, which is brewed locally) is the coldest on the island. When you're all done, there are plenty of taxis hanging around.

Can you tell me how long the taxi ride was and the cost?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived