Food on Millie

calliesocks

I have an Alaskan cruise booked next August on the Millie and am a little worried about some of the things I have been reading about the food quality on it. I am new to Celebrity and one of the reasons for choosing Celebrity was because we had heard the food and service was above the other lines. I also think that i read somewhere on the boards that Celebrity had done away with or done something with lobster night - is that so? Can someone please shed some light on this for me. Thanks.:)

I have an Alaskan cruise booked next August on the Millie and am a little worried about some of the things I have been reading about the food quality on it. I am new to Celebrity and one of the reasons for choosing Celebrity was because we had heard the food and service was above the other lines. I also think that i read somewhere on the boards that Celebrity had done away with or done something with lobster night - is that so? Can someone please shed some light on this for me. Thanks.:)

We are just off Milly last week. There was plenty of good food on the ship and NOBODY went hungry. BUT as longtime Celebrity cruisers, we have noticed changes in the MDR since Michel Roux departed. The left side of the menu has "standards" that you can order anytime. The right side of the menu has nightly items. We found a lot of the steak to be tough and overly cooked. It is rare that we ever return food to the kitchen but five of us sent back the veal-so tough you couldn't cut it but a couple of folks had veal also and it was perfect. We decided that in the MDR it may be more about "presentation" than appetizing. The joke at our table was "don't order anything the chef recommends!" The lobster/baked alaska night was the last formal night. They also served "Mama's Pork Chops" which were pretty good. The lobster was not the traditional lobster tail as we expect but a small rock lobster and a couple of shrimp. We were served a lot of "flan" type veggies pureed kind of stuff like "green pea flan". Not many veggies that you actually get to chew. Our table ordered a platter of steamed veggies to be brought to the table nightly. Many of the desserts were spongecake based with different flavorings and there was this chocolate thing similar to Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake. There was nothing that any of us will remember as being "outstanding" on the menu. As I said, Nobody went hungry by any means but the food wasn't exactly what we have always expected from Celebrity. Like you, we were a little worried because of what we had read about the food in the MDR but it was OK-Won't say excellent like we've always known just OK. Is Celebrity still our favorite cruise line? YES Will the food in the MDR keep us from cruising with them again? NO I'm sure you will have other cruisers to say that the food was excellent and it may have been for them but we are just average southern folks and this time we felt the change. We feel Celebrity is trying some new things and will eventually work it out and we will remain loyal Celebrity cruisers.....Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about it you'll be fine just like us.

Archived