6 Ships on the day we'll be there!!

Busybears

Hi, everyone:

I just found out that there will be 6 (yes, no kidding, 6!!:eek:) ships arriving (7~8 a.m.) and leaving all about the same time (4~4:30 pm) on the day that we'll be in Grand Cayman. Well, knowing that it's a tender port, and there will be 12,000 people there (2,000 per ship), do you mind sharing your thoughts on how we can best spend our time there?

I usually stay away from often over-priced cruise excursions. However, based on the threads that I read (traffic might be bad by the docking area, etc), and the number of visitors that day, I'm thinking maybe I should join a cruise excursion.

If we dare to be on our own, what should we do to get to spend some relaxing time on not-so-packed beach - if it's still possible? Thanks!!

Florrie

Six ships makes for a busy, but not totally overwhelming, day. Traffic will be bad coming back from Seven Mile Beach as the cut off time for last tender approaches.

Basic tips for navigating the chaos include:

1. First stop is ordering any duty free liquor. These purchases must be delivered to the ship, so don;t wait until the end of teh day.

2. Go where the crowds aren't... east. Take in the Black Pearl Skate Park for the teens. Tour Pedro St James Historic site or the Botanic Park in the eastern districts. Rent a car and drive to Rum Point.

3. Return to downtown from any direction other than Seven Mile Beach.

4. If you must go towards West Bay or Seven Mile Beach (ie, Boatswains Beach Turtle Farm, Seven Mile Beach, Hell, or most Stingray excursions) then return to town early.

5. Make any plans in town for the end of the day. Jewelry shopping. Snorkeling at Eden Rock.

Last time i was their, there were 12 ships yes 12 . Everybody crams george towne. Not much to do about that. All the stuff to see is right there u can go to 7 mile beach or just snorkle from eden rock right in front of the hard rock. The hard rock will be packed but thats just how it is. Grand caymen is the pearl of the carribean. Its the best place to shop to snorkle and i love it there. But too really get away go to stingray city its fantastic i spent the extra money and bought the dvd of my excursion. But if u go on a sunday like the ncl dawn did that i had the misfortune of sailing on (remember friends dont let friends sail on the norwegian cheap line) nothing was open not particularly this store called artifacts which is one of the main reasons i go to grand caymen. It wont be that bad. Just remember they drive on the wrong side of the road. And use a land mark like the dolphin foutain as a rally point. As for excursions i always book through the ship expect in caymen i just go to eden rock its great. Have fun i really miss not going to artifacts. I love that store. And the parrots in the mall area are a great touch.

I was a little dismayed to discover that 19,000 people are scheduled to be in port the same day we are, Norwegian Dawn end of January. We like to do our own thing and hope to have both time at a beach and someplace to do a little snorkelling with our children. Any additional words of wisdowm most welcome!

Archived