Anyone travel alone with a teen?... Mercury questions?

videojoe

Has anyone ever traveled alone with a teen?

My 17 year old son and I are contemplating a last minute holiday cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. This is a 12 night sailing out of Baltimore - just 30 minutes from our front door. This is my son's last year in high school (joining the Air Force - summer 2010).

In years past, our family has done 3 other holiday cruises (7 to 12 days) but that was with 2 adults and 2 kids. My son is very social and says he won't necessarily miss all the "bells and whistles" as long as there are things to do. I realize 7 nights would probably be more than adequate, but the thought of not having to drive 16 hours or taking a plane is very tempting...

Our entire family took a previous 12 night holiday cruise on the Summit in 2003 and loved it. Is the Mercury just a "smaller" version of the Summit or is it substantially different? Our last few holiday cruises (also very nice) were on Carnival (Glory and Liberty - 7 nights each).

Any advice would be appreciated.

It has been 10 years since I was on the Mercury so no comment there except that we loved the ship at the time. I think you should definately go. What a great chance to be together before he leaves for the service. And, you have done other cruises, there is always plenty to do and with it being a holiday cruise, lots of other folks (teens) to spend time with. And, you are right about taking a cruise that is easy to reach - takes so many headaches out of the planning. Go for it! You will always remember this time.

I took my both my boys on the mexican rivera cruise by myelf and had a great time, as long as you don't mind time by yourself. He was 15 at the time and found friends and he was gone most of the time.

As far as the Summit/Mercury question, both are great ships, but... the Summit is a lot nicer and a lot bigger.

Thanks for everyones input. We ended up booking the Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey. It's 14 days but it actually came in much cheaper than the Mercury.

I already like my cruise as we got a big upgrade without even asking (inside guarantee to a balcony!!!).

I will try and keep a log of some sort and share when we return. I know that this will be a remarkable experience...

Archived