Mr. Barbados help on taxi service

stanjj111

We will be in Barbados on Feb 8th 9-5:30. Four of us would like rent a taxi for ca 4+ hrs to see the island and make a beach stop. Is there any services that you would recommend? Can we just get off of the ship and look for a driver? How can we be sure that the driver is a member of the taxi association. Thank you for your response.

I have the name of an excellent taxi driver - polite, courteous, clean cab, knowledgeable. The Tourist Board said he was #1. He can be reached by cell: (246) 228-6192. Book him for your needs or for a private tour, you won’t regret it. Tell him that Lois Swanson recommended him. He took my husband and me around about 3 years ago when the Tourism Board had us attend a few events.

Rates typically run $25-$30 US/hr. -- although you may get a price for the day that would be more reasonable.

Lois

As is our usual custom we stopped at the tourist information counter in the port terminal. We inquired about taxi rental and were told that we could get a 4 hour tour for 4 for eighty dollars. We waited and another couple made the same inquiry so we decided to join together. The tourism official promised us a great driver, Mr. Paycheck(?). Sounded like a good deal. He showed us his commendation from the Minister of Tourism and picture.

Our companions from New Jersy were very nice and experienced cruisers as are we. We got along great. I asked the driver about some of the things I would like to see ( I had done my research.) He told me that I may have a list but he knew the best places. That was my first hint. We viewed Hole Town, 2 churches, sites where Tiger Woods stayed and played golf, and a drive around the island which included a rest stop and view from the highest point- no major attractions. He asked if we would like to go back to the shops at the port or downtown. We stated downtown as there was not much to choose at the port. As he headed downtown there was much traffic and activity - Friday is the standard shopping day in Barbados. It was so congested that both couples agreed to go back to the port. He kept muttering and repeating that was why he asked us in the first place. Since this was the first time for us to be in Barbados we had no idea. When we returned to the port he increased his price by $5. per person even though we were still inside the 4 hour tour.

I expected Barbados to be my favorite port. I hope to visit there again someday and hope for a better experience. Another poster on this board reccommends a private driver. Go with his suggestion. Don't trust the recommendation of the Barbados tourism board. We saw the other couple on the ship 2 days later and they were still upset about the experience. Wouldn't let it ruin our great trip but be forewarned.

Cancruz - We just got back and the taxi situation is terrible. You should not have paid him the extra $5 each. He quoted you a price. We were told to write down exactly what we wanted and how long, negotiate the price round trip and have him sign it. They intimidate tourists and will take advantage of you. Luckily for us our dive shop had arranged to pay the taxi service for us. Even then, the dive shop owner and driver argued over the price!

Anyone reading this should take taxi's by personal references like the above named drivers; that's the only way. I am sure there are many honest drivers; it's just the bad ones give the the rest a bad reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived