scuba training on ship

idlemind

Hi i'm going on the oasis of the seas december 12th and have booked the scuba training for me and my partner in st. maarten. has anyone done this on a RCCL ship? i have several questions:

how much time is the training before the actual dives? when was it? did it feel like enough training?

what were the dives like? how big a group of people? how deep?

the excursion page says wetsuits are not included. can you get one on the ship? do you need one?

i am also considering going on the diving excursion in nassau when we dock there a couple days later. has anyone done this? is it far more advanced than what the training dives would be?

i've read a fair amount of online criticism of these PADI certification courses that divers say are too quick to learn to dive properly, so i'd really appreciate any thoughts from people who've done them. thanks!

Are you doing the Discover Scuba course? If so, and you would like to dive again later in the cruise--simply do the Discover Scuba again.........in Nassau or wherever.

You won't have enough training to do anything else unless you are taking a certification course.

i'm doing the certification course, where i get Scuba Diver Certification at the end of two dives. my understanding is that that will allow me to scuba as long as there's a PADI guide with me, kind of like a beginner's driver's licence.

I'm considering taking the PADI course on Independence in Feb. My understanding is that its a Scuba Diver Certification which means you can only dive with a Dive Master. But once you have that certification you can take further training at a later date and make 2 more open water dives to obtain your open water certification. You don't have to repeat what you have already taken. Certainly sounds to me like a great way to try out diving with good training before hand. If you go in Dec let me know how it went for you. Good luck with your training.

Ken

Considering the amount of time that it takes to study for the tests and the 6 required dives to complete for certification, I would do those prior to any cruise.

Unless you prefer spending your time on board studying and doing paperwork.

Edit: I am not aware of any certification program that allows one to be certified after only 2 dives. As a NAUI Dive master, I would not recommend any such program, nor would I be comfortable diving with anyone who had been certified after only 2 dives as that is not enough time underwater to become proficient in all of the skills.

The Voyager class has a dive locker with equipment that you can rent. I image that the Oasis class has the same. When we went on Voyager, you could rent BCs, regulatiors, computer etc. Their equipment is likely to be in much better shape than any local dive shop on an island. Even if they do have wetsuits, they might not have your size. You will definitely need a 3mm wetsuit, even in the pool. I would suggest a full wetsuit rather than a shorty. If you don't want to take a chance, rent one that fits from a local dive shop.

During the course, the instructor can only take up to 8 students at a time in open water. If there are two certified assistants such as another instructor, an assistant instructor, or a dive master, up to 12 student can be taught at the same time. The first dive is normally just an orientation. On the second dive, normally the skills are done at 15 to 20 feet deep in open water. You cannot go deepter than 40 feet under any circumstances on the first two dives. That includes any tours done at the completion of the skills.

With the PADI scuba certification, you can only dive under the supervision of a professional that is instructor, assistant instructor, or divemaster. You can also only go down to 40 feet.

Where this causes a problem is that the excursions generally only say "certified" diver, not what level of certification. I can guarantee you that you'll be diving deeper than that on almost any dive you make in Cozumel, Grand Caymans, etc. In fact most open water certified divers violate their 60 foot limit on these dives.

If you choose to do the remaining knowledge reviews, confined water dives, and open water dives at a later time, it will cost you as much or almost as much as a full course. The price seems to be around 300 to 400 for the open water course. So you'd be spending an extra $265 for the process of getting certified.

Normally, we only give the scuba certifications to people who can't pass the full open water diver course as long as they have fulfilled the scuba certification requirements.

One thing that you might consider is tipping the instructor on board extra money to do knowledge reviews 4 and 5 and spend the extra time in the pool on board to complete the remaining confined water dive skills. That way you could do open water dives 1 and 2 in St. Martin and try to talk your instructor into doing 3 and 4 at one of the other ports. If you can't do the dives in one of the other ports, it would be cheaper to do the remaining 2 dives at home rather than upgrading from the scuba to the open water certification.

Instructors generally get only a small fraction of the price of the course, so if you discretely discussed this with them, they might be interested in doing this for you in their "off time" in one of the ports.

http://www.padi.com/ENGLISH/COMMON/COURSES/rec/begin/scubadiver.asp

Yep, PADI has this program. I just didn't know that the OP was referring to it. The basic certification remains the Open Water Diver which requires 2 additional dives on another day. I say do the Open Water course--you will have done 80% of it anyway--then you won't have to pay a Divemaster extra on your next dives although you may want to anyway depending on comfort level. At the very least--do the bookwork before the cruise...................

Idlemind,

Consider diving or snorkeling at Coki Beach on St Thomas. Wonderful--incredible considering how much diver/snorkeler pressure there must be there. We rented tanks from Coki Beach Dive Club 20 feet from the water. It's a great place to do a Discover Scuba course as well. And it's a day earlier than your stop at St Martin.

thanks for all the info everyone. we've decided to cancel this excursion, mostly because we don't want to eat up the cruise with all the training, especially because we're on Oasis - so much to do! we'll likely do the proper open water certification at a later date at home or on a land-based vacation.

thanks again for all the info!

thanks for all the info everyone. we've decided to cancel this excursion, mostly because we don't want to eat up the cruise with all the training, especially because we're on Oasis - so much to do! we'll likely do the proper open water certification at a later date at home or on a land-based vacation.

idlemind,

I notice you are from Toronto. If you are interested in getting certified locally I can suggest three shops. My local dive shop is Happy Divers Den. They are out in Streetsville (Mississauga) but I think worth the drive (I live in Cabbagetown). They don't have a great web presence but ALL the training staff are highly knowledgeable.

If you are interested in starting off recreational and moving towards technical diving then check out Aqua Sub Scuba. They are on Bayview in Richmond Hill. Again, a bit of a drive from downtown Toronto but definitely worth the drive.

If you want someone a little closer to Toronto there is Aquarius Scuba. I've taken a refresher course with them and they weren't bad.

There are other training shops in the Toronto area but some are not so good. They range from 'total indifference' to 'how much stuff can I sell you before you cut me off'.

idlemind,

I notice you are from Toronto. If you are interested in getting certified locally I can suggest three shops. My local dive shop is Happy Divers Den. They are out in Streetsville (Mississauga) but I think worth the drive (I live in Cabbagetown). They don't have a great web presence but ALL the training staff are highly knowledgeable.

If you are interested in starting off recreational and moving towards technical diving then check out Aqua Sub Scuba. They are on Bayview in Richmond Hill. Again, a bit of a drive from downtown Toronto but definitely worth the drive.

If you want someone a little closer to Toronto there is Aquarius Scuba. I've taken a refresher course with them and they weren't bad.

There are other training shops in the Toronto area but some are not so good. They range from 'total indifference' to 'how much stuff can I sell you before you cut me off'.

thanks! i'll look into those places. streetsville isn't so far from me as i'm in the west end.

• 3 weeks later...

I know there are a lot of negative opinions of the onboard certification program, so I thought I would throw in my two cents.

My sister and I did the Scuba certification on the Navigator on one cruise, and then completed the Open Water certification on a second cruise one year later. I have since completed my Advanced open water and Peak performancy at home, and have never once been told that my skills were lacking. I had an excellent experience PLUS being certified in the caribbean is a LOT nicer then in the frigid waters of Canada (less neoprene= less weights, better visibility, no digits turning blue :rolleyes:). I figured if I was going to have to study it at some point, might as while study on a sea day while lounging by the pool. I honestly feel that that it depends more on the instructor then the location of training. I certainly had excellent instructors onboard, with sufficient class/pool training.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Katdb has a good point. On scuba specific forums someone always asks which certifying agency is the best. The correct answer is, from a student perspective they are all the same. What makes the difference is the instructor. The better the instructor, the better the training.

Unfortunately, you cannot interview the instructor before you take a cruise. So it is luck of the draw if you want to get certified on a cruise. If you go to local dive shops, you can ask to talk with the instructor and see if they are a good fit for you.

Also, what I look for in an instructor might not be what you look for in an instructor. Some people want a military style instructor. I'd hate that. My instructor is called the 'Dive Momma' because she is like a mother to her students. I like that.

• 3 weeks later...
I know there are a lot of negative opinions of the onboard certification program, so I thought I would throw in my two cents.

My sister and I did the Scuba certification on the Navigator on one cruise, and then completed the Open Water certification on a second cruise one year later. I have since completed my Advanced open water and Peak performancy at home, and have never once been told that my skills were lacking. I had an excellent experience PLUS being certified in the caribbean is a LOT nicer then in the frigid waters of Canada (less neoprene= less weights, better visibility, no digits turning blue :rolleyes:). I figured if I was going to have to study it at some point, might as while study on a sea day while lounging by the pool. I honestly feel that that it depends more on the instructor then the location of training. I certainly had excellent instructors onboard, with sufficient class/pool training.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Did Nick do the Teaching??? I must have sailed right after you...

I did the certification on the NOS back in Jan of 08.

Nick was my teacher..he was great..although I had alot of previous experience as an Unliscenced diver..and my skills were good even before I got certified..Nick did not let me out of his site. I had a great time with him although he took his job serious..he always made things easy and enjoyable. I am going back in less then a month..again back on the NOS..and again I am going to dive with Nick in COZ...

When we were in the Cayman's I INSISTED on taking Nick and his freind for a very nice lunch plus of course I tipped him...and have stayed in touch...through Facebook.. That guy made my cruise..albeit I spent alot of time away from the GF...it was well worth it to get certified..

Just because you cancel doesnt mean you can scuba dive and not get certified. You can do a "discovery" course. Basically they give you a crash course in the equipment use and procedures etc....Then the divemaster takes you diving....You get get certified....you dont study.....you just dive and have fun. Not only that you only have to do the discover class once on the cruise and you can dive at other ports as well. I would recommend doing that....then you can see if you actually want to go on and get certified or not. My sister went diving with me in St Thomas and did the discovery course. She had a blast and even went diving with me again in Grenada. It was good for me too because I am certified and I got to share something I like to do with my sister. Just a thought/option.

We tried this on a Princess ship in 2005 and it didn't work out for me - i felt rushed int he pool on the ship - it took up all of our cruising experience time and I was so upset with how pushing/rushy the instructor was I quit the course before our first dive at the next port - i was glad i stopped and just enjoyed my cruise. you need to be able to take your time and get it right so i'd advise doing it on land with a PADI teaching school then enjoy the cruise!!

Archived