Eagle Ray Divers - somewhat disappointed!

Greenapple

We sailed on the NCL on Jan 1/05, and were in Cozumel on Jan 3. I had booked a private snorkel trip through Eagle Ray Divers. The reason for the private tour is because we were travelling with an infant, and Chellie indicated that due to liability issues they could only offer us a private tour not a group tour. The cost was $60 per person, and there were 7 adults. This was for a 2-reef snorkel trip, which included a guide, beer, water, & fruit (pineapple).

We left the marina at about 1:30 pm, and alas, the boat stops right along the shoreline right around the corner from the marina! The driver tells us that this is our first snorkel spot. I was surprised - I guess I thought that we'd be going somewhere secluded and further away from shore. There was a beach just along the shoreline, where people could wade in and snorkel. We snorkelled at this spot for about 45 minutes - there was one other boat with a snorkel tour at this site but it did not interfere with our snorkelling. Our second snorkel spot was maybe a 5 minute boat ride down the coast, and again, right along shore and again, another beach where you could just wade out and snorkel. The snorkelling at the first spot was pretty good - lots of colorful fish. The second spot was not as plentiful with fish as the first spot, but we did see starfish and a few other neet fish.

We spent about 1 hr & 15 minutes at the second spot. It was interesting, because after 45 minutes, our guide told me it was almost time to go. I questioned him, because I thought we had the boat until at least 4 pm, and it was just 3 pm when he said this. When we left the marina, Chellie had even told me that the boat was "ours' for the day, and to take our time. So we did end up staying at the second spot until about 3:30.

Chellie was very accommodating and we had no troubles booking our tour through her. However, we felt that $400 US was too expensive for what we got. We could have taken a cab to each of these places, and waded in from shore to go snorkelling for a LOT cheaper. Also, the boat we were on was pretty simple - nothing fancy. Just an old relic with a canopy.

If booking a tour through ERD, I'd recommend that you ask questions about exactly where the snorkel spots are (eg. how far from shore and how far from the marina).

Archived