Dolphin Swim in Cozumel

WandaAnne

If your talking about THIS it's better to book directly through them, with the ship you get to stand on a ledge and be kissed by the dolphin, booking directly through them you get to swim with them, the price difference isn't that much and it is very well ran.

Just jump in a cab and head over there, it's quick and easy to do.

We did this on our own by contacting Dolphin Discovery and booking through them. We did the Royal Dolphin swim. We actually got in the water with the dolphins and got to do the "Superman" (dolphins push yur feet until you're standing up in the water) and the "dorsal fin pull" (grab each dolphins dorsal fin and they pull you). I think you need to make reservations in advance (could be wrong). You can find out for sure on their web site. Also by booking directly with them there was only by DH and I. While those booking from the ship were in groups of 8-12. So we had a total of 45 minutes with the dolphins and no other people. Don't know quite how we were selected to be the only two but we loved it. We also purchased some photos and the CD. They're not cheap but we figured we wouldn't know when we would do it again. It's well worth the price they charge and if you book directly it's cheaper than through the ship. Only additional will be your taxi.

We also booked directly through Dolphin Dicsovery and had to make reservations. My DD and I were in a group of about 6 which was fine. We also were able to get in the water with the dolphins and do all sorts of things with them. It was a good time, but would probably not do it again. Kim

I do not know anything about Dolphin Discovery - not trying to bad mouth them or any other company. I just know I read reviews discussing the lack of safety measures for this type of outing when not in the US. Folks have been injured by over enthusiastic dolphins. My son wanted to do this as a 13 year old and we opted to take him to SeaWorld where he had a wonderful experience - he will always remember it. Just check the safety record, etc. FYI, he had a wonderful time and we bought the pix.

I do not know anything about Dolphin Discovery - not trying to bad mouth them or any other company. I just know I read reviews discussing the lack of safety measures for this type of outing when not in the US. Folks have been injured by over enthusiastic dolphins. My son wanted to do this as a 13 year old and we opted to take him to SeaWorld where he had a wonderful experience - he will always remember it. Just check the safety record, etc. FYI, he had a wonderful time and we bought the pix.

I do not know anything about Dolphin Discovery safety record, but was there with my 15yo dd and felt completely safe. Kim

I do not know anything about Dolphin Discovery safety record, but was there with my 15yo dd and felt completely safe. Kim

I wonder if its not the safety record of the customers, but of the dolphins. I'm wary of any swim where pulling of the dorsal fin is included.

I have done the swim at Costa Maya and it didn't include that as part of the swim. They did swim around us and we did do pix, and that was about it.

I also have done the encounter at Anthony's Key and we didn't do that either.

My preference is the dolphin dive at Anthony's Key were you actually encounter them out in the wild at a dive site outside of the resort.

We also learned to never rub the underside of a male dolphin. They enjoy it way too much.

I got a better experience by not booking with the ships tour. We loved it, and felt it was very professional, and well run organization.

And they did a great job of taking photos without interrupting the activity.

swim1.jpg

Who did you all book with?

HELP. Anyone? Now that I understand the time zone of port vs ship. I have question. We are going to Paradise Beach first, then we have dolphin swim booked at 3:00 (ship time). dolphin swim is 45 mins. Ship departs at 5:00 - so need to be back in port about 4:00. How far is it from DD(chankanaab) to port/ship? AND How far is it from PB to chankanaab? Am I pushing it? Thanks for any help. Peggy

If your dolphin swim time is 3:00 pm, you will likely be instructed by the Dolphin Discovery people to be there 1 hour in advance to check in, get your bracelets, get changed, put your stuff in lockers, and then do the safety/instruction video.

After the 45 minutes time you will get out of the water and be herded back to watch the video they made of you, back to lockers, change (or at least throw on t-shirt over your swimsuit!, pick up the stuff out of your lockers, then if you want to look at photos etc. add on more time. So the 45 minutes isn't the entire time for the excursion, that is just the 'in the water' time. I guess in theory you could be out of there by 4 pm, but then you would still have to get back to the pier.

Will you have ship time/shore time to use to your advantage? I can never figure out how the time stuff works. :confused:

Good luck!

Archived