refurbished cabins on Nordic Empress

Joan,

I was on the first cruise after the refurb. I think it is all in the luck of the draw as to which rooms are re-done. Example-I was in 8019, which was not re-done. However, my mother was next door in 8017, which had new carpeting and bedspreads. These are both inside staterooms-I don't know if the renovations would be more consistant in the outside rooms.

Nukster,

I will be sailing this Sunday, May 23, on the EOS. This will be my very first cruise but I will definately post my observations when I return! We are a group of 10, some with inside rooms and some with outside. We are all staying on Deck 4... I have absolutely NO idea what to expect but I am very excited !!

Susan - New Cruiser!

Hi Nukester!!

I am beginning to wonder where everyone else is! I have been waiting for CruzinJoan to pop up, she is the Empress expert and can give everyone more of an idea of what is new and what is old-since she has been on more than 30 cruises on the Empress!

There were no safes in our rooms, but I believe that they are in some rooms.

No, but I wish she would. I am pretty sure that I met her on the cruise, but didn't realize it until later! She had been in Bolero's the same time as us on several occasions and on the last night I heard the bartenders telling someone about how many cruises she has done. It had to be her!!

Cruzinjoan is still on the Empress. She was on last week for the 6 nights and stayed this week for the 8 night. If you know her well, one week is never enough. I'm sure she'll post something when she gets back this weekend and we'll hear about all the changes.

Hello all,

We were not in a refurbished cabin, nor were any of our table mates (all on 4th deck, inside staterooms.) No safes in rooms. The new lounges/bars are beautiful, especially Boleros.

A bit of a downer though: the ship really wasn't ready for that "maiden voyage" on May 9th. Refurbishing continued even though we set sail. Very odd. My husband and I went on the top deck to watch us sail off and we stuck to the wet varnish on the railing! I had a great time (first cruise) but there were many, many problems. A number of people didn't even have hot water. RCI gave each stateroom a $100 credit as an apology.

Debarkation was an awful mess. We pulled into port at 7:30am and weren't allowed to leave until 1pm. No one could tell us how many color tags there were or what order they were being called in. I hope debarkation gets refurbished as well.

Chandra

Well LightningLenny - as you well know we've been cruising ourselves on the Brilliance for two weeks and now have to catch up on everything, like what's going on with the Empress. Anymore consideration given to the Oct. repo cruise? There's a whole group of us going, kind of like a repeat of last year! Give it some thought - 9 nights and a good price. If not, Bob will be emailing pics again!

youngs, when you get off the ship is influenced by many things that are not under RCI's control. The ship must be cleared by customs and immigration. If you remember lots of people being paged, they were holding the ship up. Most times, everyone is off by noon. The cruise line likes it that way, so they have a few moments to begin to get the ship ready for the next batch of cruisers.

Also, the ship is in a state of constant work. Ship maintainence is a non-stop business. No matter when you sail, you will find painting, varnishing, cleaning and repairing.

The hot water thing is not "normal."

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

My gif kitties have gone to cyber heaven so that dial up cruisers don't have a problem getting their posts read.

Susan--- Been on the nordic 4 times. great ship though small compared to todays mega ships. Have been on AOS its also great. It was my first cruise in 1991 and she was 1 yr old... I am sure you will have a greta time

john

Archived