Azamara's Big Announcement

editor@cruisecritic

What will be new destinations?

Larry: "South America, Pacific Rim, Australia. We need to mix up the destinations. Less time spent in the Caribbean over time. But when we are in the Caribbean you’ll see different types of deployments (Amazon, Lesser Antilles). Delivering destinations uniquely."

Basically what he's saying is that the cruise line will go to these new places but also -- importantly -- it will source marketing, meaning reaching out to Asian travelers, South Americans, and most definitely Aussies!

Carolyn

What specifically is more inclusive?

Espresso, cappuccino everywhere, even at the Cova Cafe (that's nice).

Larry: "Our objective is not to deal with nickles, dimes and pennies. I'm convinced we've taken the right road."

Carolyn

Oh, boy. I will be hyped out on caffiene! I agree that would be nickle and diming to continue to charge for this stuff. I may be bouncing off the bulkhead from all those free cappuccinos:eek:.

Did you bring the club concept over from SeaDream? (Pimentel was president and creator of SeaDream, the luxury yacht-style cruise line)

"This idea did not come from SeaDream but from listening to passengers when I was onboard (Azamara). A club is a group of people with a common interest. In this case it’s culture and destination."

Carolyn

They are screwing it up! We already did our own laundry on Azamara. The price increase will keep people away. They chose Azamara over Oceania--pricing was a key factor. We don't want a butler, and have never used one when provided.

Yes, Andy, you are correct. It does seem to be a lot of "hoopla" about very little change. I am staying objective and hoping my May cruises will be more interesting as far as the details. And a trained butler? Will he rub my feet after a long day in port???:D...makes me think of Mr Deeds. I am thinking my household salary is below their demographic...sorry to hear that too. I wait in anticipation. The changes should be in swing by the time we hit the seas.

Hi WooKeef !

I agree. I want to make it clear, that I remain very optimistic about Azamara's future. I'm just disappointed in the fact, that Azamara and the industry has been hyping this day for a few weeks, and I truly expected more.

I'm also concerned that Azamara will add new amenities, create an updated image, and move the pricing up to a point, where it may provoke passengers to look elsewhere. I feel they should tread very carefully here, especially as I feel the economy will not have a major recovery in 2010. This is not a time to alienate passengers !

While I'm disappointed about today's lack of meat with the potato, I will be over it by tomorrow :)

We're on our first Azamara cruise in February and I was hoping to really fall in love with the product.

We go cruising because we love to cruise. It sounds as if they just want to be a hotel.

It seems that this is just an opportunity to raise prices. Staying longer in port is cost saving in many ways. Service, entertainment, food are all diminished when people spend more time in port.

My idea of luxury is not doing my laundry. LOL

I;m not getting any message

the website won't even load

I do websites for a living and the programmers have it stuck in a loop back onto itself. Azamara.com to AzamaraClubCruises.com and back again forever. It's probably there but you can't get to it because of this. Programmers may not even realize it from within their server.

Looks like someone figured it out. About time!

No they didn't. The previously posted page is the only one that can be accessed.

Did you bring the club concept over from SeaDream? (Pimentel was president and creator of SeaDream, the luxury yacht-style cruise line)

"This idea did not come from SeaDream but from listening to passengers when I was onboard (Azamara). A club is a group of people with a common interest. In this case it’s culture and destination."

Carolyn

Azamara was a great cruiseline. Pimental needs to go back to where he came from and take his 300+K income with him!

When will the new website be online?

Bornstein: "If you click on Azamara Club Cruises as we speak…."

Anybody having luck with this?

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn !

I just checked. I cannot connect with http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com or http://www.azamaracruises.com, neither website appears to up at the moment.

Why all that negative about the 300k ? He just said that't the dream world.......in my business I also would like to have the ultra rich only......but like he said....it's the dream. Reality means everyone that can and will afford it !

It doesn't look like Larry is getting much love from this announcement. I am sure that they will read and listen to comments and fine tune what they plan on doing. After all they are customer service oriented and they want their customers to continue to want to use their product. It is a shame that it seems like they over hyped this announcement.

Yes, absolutely! An item will launch sometime after lunch (not that I'm going to lunch but it will take me an hour or so)

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Will you be writing this up after the announcement is over so we can see it all together? Hope so. Thanks.

Just to throw in a bit of perspective -- there's no question that Azamara values its loyal passengers and I think the new Le Club (LOL re all your comments) is an effort to show that. I'll hopefully get more details during my chat.

But I think where it's going with all this new stuff -- is reaching outto people who haven't cruised before because, to reprise the infamous Arthur Frommer, when you cruise you don't see anything.

Carolyn

Hi WooKeef !

I agree. I want to make it clear, that I remain very optimistic about Azamara's future. I'm just disappointed in the fact, that Azamara and the industry has been hyping this day for a few weeks, and I truly expected more.

I'm also concerned that Azamara will add new amenities, create an updated image, and move the pricing up to a point, where it may provoke passengers to look elsewhere. I feel they should tread very carefully here, especially as I feel the economy will not have a major recovery in 2010. This is not a time to alienate passengers !

While I'm disappointed about today's lack of meat with the potato, I will be over it by tomorrow :)

Azamara was a great cruiseline. Pimental needs to go back to where he came from and take his 300+K income with him!

Hi Comcox !

I feel its very premature to use the words "was a great cruiseline". They are still a wonderful Cruiseline.

While the 300+K comment does not please me, Keep in mind, they can convey this upscale image, but the reality is, pricing has, and will continue to depend on factors such as the economy, and supply and demand. If the economy remains weak, prices will remain reasonable. They can talk the talk to their heart's desire.... but, like any other Cruiseline, they need to fill their ships too.

Archived