Grandeur and chair hogs

referee

The issue of this tired, old ... still undeleted by the moderators ... thread wasn't whether there should be rules or whether you should lose your seat if you don't move your feet.

The issue was whether you should hide peoples' belongings from them and the laugh about it like some kind of sociopath. Some of the sane people here presented the compromise: "Take the chair, move the belongings to the ground, or report them to staff". I think most people agree that is what someone who has no power to enforce a rule should do.

God PLEASE make this thread die.

The issue of this tired, old ... still undeleted by the moderators ... thread wasn't whether there should be rules or whether you should lose your seat if you don't move your feet.

The issue was whether you should hide peoples' belongings from them and the laugh about it like some kind of sociopath. Some of the sane people here presented the compromise: "Take the chair, move the belongings to the ground, or report them to staff". I think most people agree that is what someone who has no power to enforce a rule should do.

God PLEASE make this thread die.

I appreciate that you view me as one of the "sane" compromisers. I do have a few issues with your post above:

1. I don't think the issue raised by the OP was "Whether you should hide people's belongings from them and laugh about it." I think the surface issue was what to do about chair hogs. The deeper issue is how to deal with people when thier violation of rules/guidelines is impacting your life in some way? This second question could apply to people bringing 30 items through the 10 item asile at the grocery store, people driving up the shoulder of the highway in a traffic jam, or a thousand other problems we run into on a daily basis.

2. You seem to be eager to have the post removed because the topic is over-discussed on these boards. You always have the option of not reading the thread anymore. There are dozens of threads posted every day that I never open. I think that part of the problem with chair hogs is that they don't perceive it as a big deal. By keeping the discussion open and on-going, the problem remains visibile. People who might have claimed a chair, thinking that it wouldn't do anyone any harm, might rethink that idea if they see enough discussion about people who never got to use a chair while many chairs were "saved."

In moving someone's things off of a chair, I would not be passing any judgement on them. I would simply be making use of a public facility and equipment that is not being used at that time.

So to answer your question, if you are in the pool area, you can go back to check on your spot, maybe have a drink or read a page or two of something and then go back to the pool. I'd say after 30-45 mninutes, if that chair hasn't been used, it shouldn't be saved. At that point I would feel comfortable moving stuff aside (never throwing out). A chair that goes unused for an hour, when no other chairs are available is also a form of stealing. It's denying somone the use of the facility that they paid for, while the chair hog isn't using it either.

#1- Do not... I mean DO NOT touch my belongings.

#2- So, you are now the judge of time, etc. that a chair can not have a butt on it? That's ludicrous.

#3- A form of stealing? That logic can not be comprehended. Denying use? Hey, I paid the same if not more than you did to use them.

As I said before, let the cruise line make the rules. There are attendants in the Solarium, let them handle it. Just don't even try to move my belongings.

My answer is what's a reaonable time to leave my camera unattended. I will only leave it for a short period of time after asking someone to keep an eye on it. This goes the same for my daughter. I keep an close eye on things of value. If I am going to be gone long enough where leaving them would make me uncomfortable, then I know! I know people who leave their kids the way they leave towels and expired magazine but never an expensive camera:eek:
Kool... c'mon, you mean to tell me you leave a camera out in the open? That is not very prudent. Now, say you have your "expensive" camera in a bag and someone like SamFritz takes my bag and towels and dumps them somewhere? You're gonna be happy about that?

My problem with what was done, was that the OP had a seat, they were not looking for one..rather, she was tired of answering questions about the seats. If they were that bothered, she should have talked to a "pool attendant" and had them take care of the issue. If they didn't want to do that, then remove the items and stick it underneath the chair. Also, she could have let the people needing the chairs take care of it themselves. To throw their personal stuff in a big bin and then brag and delight in that is wrong. There were many other ways to handle the situation. What goes around comes around.

Kool... c'mon, you mean to tell me you leave a camera out in the open? That is not very prudent. Now, say you have your "expensive" camera in a bag and someone like SamFritz takes my bag and towels and dumps them somewhere? You're gonna be happy about that?

I have left the camera maybe with a towel over it. I have left my child out in the open while I ran to the bar for a Bahama Mama. Basically, I do not leave unattended, what I don't intend to loose, including a chair, camera, and child, sometimes DH. Well, for some reason he keeps finding me;) It doesn't take that much to say to a kind cruisers, keep an eye on this, I will be right back, if that is your intent. The minute my butt ends up in another chair, I loose the previous one. Inconsiderate behavior continues because considerate people stand/sit by and do nothing.

I applaud the move, as enough is enough, even at the risk of becoming fish bait:eek:

#1- Do not... I mean DO NOT touch my belongings.

#2- So, you are now the judge of time, etc. that a chair can not have a butt on it? That's ludicrous.

#3- A form of stealing? That logic can not be comprehended. Denying use? Hey, I paid the same if not more than you did to use them.

As I said before, let the cruise line make the rules. There are attendants in the Solarium, let them handle it. Just don't even try to move my belongings.

1. When your logic fails, do you always fall back on threats?

2. I have a watch that helps me to judge time. And yes I do believe that if it is not being used I have a right to use it.

3. But you are not using them! You are denying others access to them.

4. Your items will be safer after I move them and am sitting the chair beside them than they would have been after you abandoned them.

When I'm at the pool at don't spend a ton of time at "my" chair I'm usually swimming or in the hot-tub, but I do need a place to sit for a little to dry off. The whole towel thing is a real PIA because its hard to tell what may have been abandoned vs reserved. I find leaving shoes at my chair lets people know I am near by.

Either way what I don't do is reserve by spot while I eat lunch or etc.

I've seen entire rows of unreturned towels with no one there; particularly after 3pm. I'll usually go swimming for awhile and give it some time before I move the towels to another chair. I've never had anyone come back for the towels I've moved. I would certainly avoid moving anything other than a towel.

While there is just plain NO DEFENSE for chair hogs, I certainly hope the OP is NOT on MY next cruise. Removing the personal items and putting them nearby on the ground would be, IMO, acceptable. But making them just plain disappear? To have such little regard for things that belong to other people, it really makes me wonder what else you're capable of, OP.

Again I think so long as you are in the area and your shoes/shirt/lotion/towel are on the chair you don't have to be IN the chair.

But, if you aren't THERE to watch your STUFF then you can't complain when it walks off?!?! I mean think about it... would you just park your car with the keys in it while you went to see a three hour movie? No, you wouldn't and if you say you would...well then just bless you're heart.

And as for paying "the same if not more." well, that doesn't give you the right to hog a chair you're not using....period.

I'm not saying it's ok to throw someone's things away or hide them. I'm saying turn them into the attendant as lost, or place them under the chair for safe keeping......

I mean think about it... would you just park your car with the keys in it while you went to see a three hour movie? No, you wouldn't and if you say you would...well then just bless you're heart.

And as for paying "the same if not more." well, that doesn't give you the right to hog a chair you're not using....period.

I'm saying LET THE CRUISE LINE SET THE GUIDELINES AND ENFORCE THEM. It's not up to passengers to touch other people's property. That in itself is theft.

So, ok, the minute you leave your chair, that means you're not using it. Fine. I'll take it. :D

This logic is absurd.

I'm saying LET THE CRUISE LINE SET THE GUIDELINES AND ENFORCE THEM. It's not up to passengers to touch other people's property. That in itself is theft.

So, ok, the minute you leave your chair, that means you're not using it. Fine. I'll take it. :D

This logic is absurd.

At least if someone DID park their car and leave the keys in it ... and some jerk came and stole the car just because he didn't like the way the car was parked and appointed himself parking police ... he could at least be arrested and put in jail because it's stealing.

At least if someone DID park their car and leave the keys in it ... and some jerk came and stole the car just because he didn't like the way the car was parked and appointed himself parking police ... he could at least be arrested and put in jail because it's stealing.

Shoot, I have a car that I'd love to have stolen. Just no one will take it!!! :D

Maybe if I put a piece of rubberized fake vomit or something "else" on my chair, perhaps the chair police won't bother with it?

Whether you agree with this or not, at least now you know if you're a chair hog and you just leave your belongings on a chair, you're putting those belongings at risk of disappearing. Just let this be a lesson to all you chair hogs out there

Also let it be a moral of the story that people who steal things that don't belong to them are thieves. And they are on notice that the rest of us are watching and we're not amused.

Also let it be a moral of the story that people who steal things that don't belong to them are thieves. And they are on notice that the rest of us are watching and we're not amused.

If by everyone you mean you and a handful of others then yes, everyone is watching.

Ya know, you don't have to be a "chair hog" for people to just take your chairs. I witnessed it first hand on my last cruise. People went up to the solarium bar and a guy came up, moved their belongings. They weren't gone for more than 10 minutes. I told the man who took the chairs that people were sitting there and he got peeved and eventually left. What gall some people have.

We should really start complaining about the so-called chair police.

Typically, for it to be theft you have to demonstrate that the person intends to keep the property or at least permanently dispossess the rightful owner of the property. If the person just relocated the car, you might get a joyriding conviction but not likely auto theft.

This logic is absurd.

Wow, do you not read well or just have comprehension problems?

I never said the minute you're not using a chair take it.... I said if someone drops a towel and disappears for hours then yea, move their crap and use the chair.... Personally if I'm leaving the immediate area I carry my stuff with me. I don't leave it there to annoy other people.. It's called being considerate...look it up!

The point was....if you value something you don't leave it unattended where it can be taken.... I'm not talking about leaving your stuff while you take a dip in the pool/hot tub/ at the bar. I'm talking about leaving it and going back to bed, or to lunch, or whatever...where you know you will be gone for an extended period of time. By leaving something alone for an extended period of time that tells me you don't value it....and if you don't...why should I? And before you whine that just because you leave it doesn't mean you don't value it....actions speak louder than words so save them.

If you can't understand that simple piece of logic then.......just bless your little heart!

whether you agree with this or not, at least now you know if you're a chair hog and you just leave your belongings on a chair, you're putting those belongings at risk of disappearing. Just let this be a lesson to all you chair hogs out there

amen!

The point of going on a cruise with other people is to be nice and friendly and being helpful.

What about consideration for other passengers right to use the chairs?

Hogging chairs is neither "nice", "friendly", nor "helpful".

If you're not going to use the chairs, leave your crap in your cabin.

Jim

Archived