Grandeur and chair hogs

referee

Good = Chair hogs thinking twice next time.

Jim

Hmm. Let's consider that scenario:

MAN: Why LOOK Martha! Some other passenger stole our things!

WOMAN: Why I'll be! Do you think we should call the police?

MAN: Naw, let's just get the cruiseline feller! He'll fill out a report.

CRUISE: Sorry folks. We don't know what happened. Probably just some drunken passenger. We get them ocassionally. Or, it might have been one of those Chair Hog Activists. Did you leave some stuff on the chair?

MAN: Well, yes we did.

WOMAN: Hmm. And I think I know just who it was.

MAN: The bald fellow?

WOMAN: Yes, and his wife, with the one piece, that cow!

MAN: OK Mr. Purser, we'll take it from here.

WOMAN: Let me get my bottle of bleach, Henry.

MAN: And the little ziploc of doggy duty I've been saving for one of these ocassions. Meet ya by the pool in 10 minutes.

WOMAN: Make it 5. I'm feeling particularly energetic.

Yikes. Nope. It's not looking too good for the Thief Team!

Another good reason to bring post-it-notes - if I have to leave my chair for a few minutes to go to the restroom, or into the pool to cool off, or whatever, I leave a post-it that says 'DO NOT MOVE MY THINGS! I WILL BE BACK IN 10 MINUTES'. If I didn't forget to bring my pen with me, I'll even write the time I left or the time I expect to be back. DH wants to buy one of those paper clocks that businesses put on their doors "WILL BE BACK AT " with a clock that shows the time. I do that ever since I left my things on a chair only to go to the restroom and came back and found someone sitting in the chair I was using, with my things on a towel at the foot of the chair. The person sitting there wouldn't even acknowledge me when I said something.....I couldn't have been gone more than 7 minutes.

M.

Hmm. Let's consider that scenario:

Yikes. Nope. It's not looking too good for the Thief Team!

Wow, Detroit... when you put it THAT way I see why it would be perfectly reasonable for someone to set their crap on a chair and leave it completely unattended for HOURS in case they maybe might eventually want to use the chair. I'm AMAZED I didn't see it before.

Ok, I love sarcasm.

Let's play this game.... Detroit on your next cruise...go to the beach, any crowded beach will do.... leave your wallet, jewelry, passport, camera and anything else of value... THEN go back into town for lunch and some window shopping.. then go back to the beach and see if your stuff is still there....

Yes, I know that's totally absurd and you won't do it because you know when you got back it'd be gone. Why should a cruise ship be any different?

It's only different because the things your leaving on the chair, a towel and nothing else most likely, has no value to you, it's just a towel.

So if it's just a towel to you, it's just a towel to someone else.

Another good reason to bring post-it-notes - if I have to leave my chair for a few minutes to go to the restroom, or into the pool to cool off, or whatever, I leave a post-it that says 'DO NOT MOVE MY THINGS! I WILL BE BACK IN 10 MINUTES'. If I didn't forget to bring my pen with me, I'll even write the time I left or the time I expect to be back. DH wants to buy one of those paper clocks that businesses put on their doors "WILL BE BACK AT " with a clock that shows the time. I do that ever since I left my things on a chair only to go to the restroom and came back and found someone sitting in the chair I was using, with my things on a towel at the foot of the chair. The person sitting there wouldn't even acknowledge me when I said something.....I couldn't have been gone more than 7 minutes.

M.

Ok now that is terrible.... there's a HUGE difference between running to the bathroom and leaving for hours. Sorry you had to deal with that Michuck.

So you took my towels.

I will send you my address, so you can mail me my money! :p

Don't try to claim whats legally mine here ;) I have already told that it was my crocs and also a digital camera, Leica worth about a grand that was stolen ;)

at least please return the memory card from the camera, my wife will be very upset if she finds out that someone else have seen the pictures of her:eek: Then I will have to sleep in the couch for more time than I could possibly imagine:mad:

If I wanted the chairs and they had been empty for a good while, I would ask a member of staff to move the items. That way, I cannot be blamed for missing items.

I agree with this method. I am going on a cruise and now am scared about leaving a towel to do lunch or go to the restroom, etc. What if someone takes my towel....do I have to pay for it? Should I just bring my own towels from home to put on my chair? I am planning to sun all day on our days at sea and don't want to lose my chair when I do lunch...should our party of 4 do lunch in shifts? I would be furious if someone moved all of my stuff and put it in the bin! If you have issues with people like that (and believe me...I do), just put their stuff in the floor by the chair...what would that hurt and when they returned, tell them up front how you feel. Did you ever see them return to look for their things (to the person who dumped the things in the bin) and if so, did you tell them what you did? I can understand getting mad, but if I did something like that, it would bother me the entire cruise and ultimately, ruin a very expensive trip. Play nice! :)

I agree with this method. I am going on a cruise and now am scared about leaving a towel to do lunch or go to the restroom, etc. What if someone takes my towel....do I have to pay for it? Should I just bring my own towels from home to put on my chair? I am planning to sun all day on our days at sea and don't want to lose my chair when I do lunch...should our party of 4 do lunch in shifts? I would be furious if someone moved all of my stuff and put it in the bin! If you have issues with people like that (and believe me...I do), just put their stuff in the floor by the chair...what would that hurt and when they returned, tell them up front how you feel. Did you ever see them return to look for their things (to the person who dumped the things in the bin) and if so, did you tell them what you did? I can understand getting mad, but if I did something like that, it would bother me the entire cruise and ultimately, ruin a very expensive trip. Play nice! :)

Personally, I would not save my chair while I went to lunch. If I expect to be gone for more than a half hour I take my stuff with me. None of us should be reserving chairs for extended periods of time. We need to respect each other by not tying up equipment that we are not using. A few pages back I made the analogy of the ping pong equipment. I wouldn't take the ping pong paddles with me to lunch, just because I wanted to play some more after lunch.

Personally, I would not save my chair while I went to lunch. If I expect to be gone for more than a half hour I take my stuff with me. None of us should be reserving chairs for extended periods of time. We need to respect each other by not tying up equipment that we are not using. A few pages back I made the analogy of the ping pong equipment. I wouldn't take the ping pong paddles with me to lunch, just because I wanted to play some more after lunch.

No, perhaps not. But leave your gloves on top of the paddles? Sure! If someone needs them so badly they can move your gloves. They certainly don't need to STEAL them and then laugh with some sort of evil glee.

Your metaphor, while clever, is frankly self serving and one sided.

Archived