Nassau - Flying Cloud catamaran beach/snorkel - review

bkreader

We did this 3 1/2 hour trip on January 6, 2005. It gets a very high recommendation from both of us.

When our cruise ship docked in Nassau we were still not sure what we were going to do there for the day. Our cruise was there from about 8 am until midnight. I had printed out info about a number of snorkel possibilities. I was interested in one that combined a beach with the snorkel. Once we docked and entered the international center, Flying Cloud was the first place we called. They said they had afternoon openings (we only saw one other ship in port that day) and to walk over to the Hilton (just a few blocks) to pay at the Majestic Tours booth in the lobby. Their current rate for the 1/2 day (3 1/2-hour) sail is $50 per person (I had a flyer printed out that offered the trip for $45, and they honored that price.)

A Majestic bus picked us up at the Hilton at 12:45 and we drove across to Paradise Island to the ferry dock there. We arrived at 1:00 and had to wait about an hour I think for them to call us to the catamaran. There are little gift shops there, with somewhat expensive snacks and sodas for sale also. I used the time to catch up on my cruise notes.

The Flying Cloud is a small catamaran - I believe there were fewer than 20 passengers aboard. The crew were all extremely helpful and congenial. We each were able to get one free soda and one free rum punch from the bar on board. Large bowls of chips were put out for the return trip. Passengers were seated on the outside deck or on the limited number of inside seats. We sat inside in the front and had wonderful breezes and the sun. It was a gorgeous day - upper 70's or lower 80's with scattered clouds. We motored out towards Rose Island. Then the motor was turned off, the two gorgeous tall white sails raised, and we sailed for a while - it doesn't get much better than this. :)

We had our choice of getting off the boat at Rose Island (we could take snorkel gear onto the island if we chose) or staying aboard and motoring out about 200 yards to an offshore reef. My husband chose to go to the reef while I sat onshore. He reports absolutely amazing snorkeling out there - the reef and the multitude of fish were very beautiful that day. He says he was the first one in the water and the last one to get back on the boat. Water temperature was nice - coolish, but not cold. We still need to get the underwater camera pictures developed - I can't wait to see. The snorkel equipment and instruction that was included in the price of the trip were quite adequate.

I got out on Rose Island with much help from the crew, who kindly carried my bag ashore while I waded in. The beach there is very beautiful and was almost empty that day. There are beach chairs there - I sat down and a lifeguard came by and said the chairs were $5 rental, which I gladly paid. In the trees down off the beach I saw a hammock and picnic tables. I went in the water for a bit - it was quite breezy and difficult to maintain my footing in the waves, but I am not in good shape and younger folks on the beach didn't seem to be having any problem. I had a book and had a most relaxing time lying there reading. After about an hour the catamaran returned and we sailed back with music playing and drinks flowing. I left a nice tip in the crew tip jar on the counter. The bus was there when we disembarked and the driver agreed to drop us off near our ship. It was an A++ afternoon, with absolutely no complaints. Here is the web site for Flying Cloud: http://www.bahamasnet.com/flyingcloud/ - Jane

• 1 month later...

Archived