Dream - Cancelling stop in San Juan

Tom-n-Cheryl

And that's assuming the PA at San Juan wants that big sucker sitting in the middle of their harbor idling ...

Lotsa armchair admirals in this thread.

Hey I didn't say they should have done it, just that they could have. I'd be absolutely shocked if San Juan didn't have a plan for tendering cruise ships.

Hey I didn't say they should have done it, just that they could have. I'd be absolutely shocked if San Juan didn't have a plan for tendering cruise ships.

True, true. I would be shocked as well. But having a plan doesn't mean they want to use it.

True, true. I would be shocked as well. But having a plan doesn't mean they want to use it.

So you think that the administration of the port at San Juan would rather turn away 4000 cash-bearing tourists (and the associated port fees) than deal with tendering?

The reality is that a cruise line has no real incentive to get their passengers ashore at a port of call and a big incentive to keep them aboard. Carnival had a nice excuse and took full advantage of an excuse to have a Fun Day at Sea instead. I don't necessarily blame them, but let's call it what it is.

How, pray tell, is Old San Juan like the Tijuana, Mexico of the Caribbean? If I remeber correctly, southern Arizona looks more like Mexico than anything else.

You know how it is, all Senor Frog's look the same. If that's the only architecture a person is looking at, it's a logical conclusion. ;)

So you think that the administration of the port at San Juan would rather turn away 4000 cash-bearing tourists than deal with tendering?

The reality is that a cruise line has no real incentive to get their passengers ashore at a port of call and a big incentive to keep them aboard. Carnival had a nice excuse and took full advantage of an excuse to have a Fun Day at Sea instead. I don't necessarily blame them, but let's call it what it is.

I think there are a lot of factors, few of which I would feel comfortable with doing more tha speculating. I'm not discounting your opinion -- you're absolutely correct. Keeping them on the ship keeps the booze flowing and the roulette wheel turning. However, it also means that they're most likely violating some part of their contract with the PA and probably will have to pay a penalty to the PA unless they have a reason specified within the contract. It could also be a bit of a b*tchfight with the PA over the facilities they were being offered for their brand new ship at that port.

With the Dreams batting average soon the price of a cabin should come way down. Anyone know how Oasis is doing??
I agree, it hasn't been the best start for the Dream. Let's hope for the sake of the people sailing on future Eastern Itins that CCL can figure this out quickly and fix the problem. I hope she'll fit at the piers on the Western Itin.:rolleyes:

Everything on Oasis sounds great only they've been running between 50% - 80% capacity so we've yet to hear what it's like with a full ship.

I agree, it hasn't been the best start for the Dream. Let's hope for the sake of the people sailing on future Eastern Itins that CCL can figure this out quickly and fix the problem. I hope she'll fit at the piers on the Western Itin.:rolleyes:

Everything on Oasis sounds great only they've been running between 50% - 80% capacity so we've yet to hear what it's like with a full ship.

50 to 80% full is good for the passengers. I bet you can make a great last min deal on that cruise.

50 to 80% full is good for the passengers. I bet you can make a great last min deal on that cruise.
Well, according to corporate, it's being done that way deliberately for the purpose of breaking in the ship & crew without throwing everything at them at once. So prices are still pretty high for most of the sailing right now. Might have been a good idea to do that on Dream given some of the reviews I've read about some crew member attitudes.;)

The lifeboats??? :eek:

1. is it legal to use them in a non emergency situation and risk damaging one rendering it unusable in an emergency situation.

2. who would pilot them?

Yes the lifeboats! I thought it was a bit odd too when I first heard about it.

They need to be tested every so often, I cant remember the exact time frame, somewhere between 3 and 6 months. So during this time most cruise lines use the lifeboats as tenders. There are crew members trained to pilot them.

Back on topic...this is not the best start for the Dream...and this is the same voyage that had the blackout? I can see the reviews now...

Hopefully they can work out the kinks, and fast.

Watch out for the whiners now.....I would be excited myself because I love the sea days...the crazy, lazy sea days.....kathie:D

LOL! Seriously who's fault is it:confused: Not mother natures:D Not emergency medical:D No fears.......Carnival will refund them their 20 bucks......wonder what other ports they will have trouble with........

Yes the lifeboats! I thought it was a bit odd too when I first heard about it.

They need to be tested every so often, I cant remember the exact time frame, somewhere between 3 and 6 months. So during this time most cruise lines use the lifeboats as tenders. There are crew members trained to pilot them.

Back on topic...this is not the best start for the Dream...and this is the same voyage that had the blackout? I can see the reviews now...

Hopefully they can work out the kinks, and fast.

I have seen them tested many times, but never used as tenders.

As long as they are rated and approved for use as tenders it is not a problem, but if they are not specificly approved for that use and are an emergency vehicle only, that is where legal and safety issues come in.

I was unaware that there were special ones rated to use as a tender.

learned something new today...can I go home now? LOL

:p

*Looks around, finds pom-poms and red-and-blue pleated skirt*

Seriously though, has anyone considered that perhaps the port authorities of these places should have measured their piers before telling Carnival they could accomodate their ships?

*Looks around, finds pom-poms and red-and-blue pleated skirt*

Seriously though, has anyone considered that perhaps the port authorities of these places should have measured their piers before telling Carnival they could accomodate their ships?

Sure........and common sense tells me Carnival took measures to actually confirm this.......

The whiners would have a legitimate reason to whine now, to be honest. If I was on the ship and had never been to San Juan and was looking forward to it, I would be irate.

Rerouting because of weather is one thing and completely understandable...but because the ship doesnt fit?? And you're just finding out now?? Totally unacceptable.

Carnival should have took the measures to make sure their ship could dock at the pier, they dropped the ball. Point blank period.

I have seen them tested many times, but never used as tenders.

As long as they are rated and approved for use as tenders it is not a problem, but if they are not specificly approved for that use and are an emergency vehicle only, that is where legal and safety issues come in.

I was unaware that there were special ones rated to use as a tender.

learned something new today...can I go home now? LOL

:p

LOL, of course you can! :D

Archived