Diets on a cruise?

jt4hsanders

Why do people talking about dieting on a cruise? other than a medical reason for a special diet enjoy yourself. Diet before the cruise. Do not deprive yourself of all the goodies while on vacation. Enjoy, revel in the fun and food. Remember a bad day on vacation is still betterthan a good day at work.

:D

Why do people talking about dieting on a cruise? other than a medical reason for a special diet enjoy yourself. Diet before the cruise. Do not deprive yourself of all the goodies while on vacation. Enjoy, revel in the fun and food. Remember a bad day on vacation is still betterthan a good day at work.

I would say 'throw the diet :eek: out the window' and enjoy your vacation!

Just make sure you more exercise than usual, like taking stairs instead of elevator. Have a wonderful trip, worry about a couple of lbs when you get home. ;)

Luv's Crusin'

I watch what I eat and lost weight on many of my cruises, I just think about what I'm eating. It's amazing to see how some people eat on cruises and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The luxury of a cruise (for me) is the service, getting away from the stress of work and details around the house AND seeing the world (aka seeing how others live, not just the tourist attractions) - not gluttony.

I understand you but in my own defense I have to say that just because I am on a cruise does not mean that I have to step back and blow away everything I have worked for (a healthy weight) for the last couple of years. And I am still about 15 lbs over weight.

What you and most people might not understand is that one week's worth of over-eating can set us back months. :eek:

Once we start eating that extra cookie, piece of pie, second helping of pizza, etc it is hard to stop. Yes I eat new foods that I don't get here but I don't over eat. Over-eating is an addiction just like alcohol is an addiction. We exercise, run, walk and with our metabolism it is hard to keep our weight down.

There is more to cruising than eating. Its being out on the open sea, getting to watch Broadway Style Shows that we can't see back home, meeting new people, experiencing new ports of calls and its culture. The

list of reasons, to cruise beside eating, can go on and on.

Do you understand what I am trying to portray to you and everyone else who has never had a weight problem?

I normally lose weight on a cruise. I do a lot more walking and take the stairs more often on a cruise than I normally do so that helps. At meals I just try not to overstuff myself and I try to stay in my diabetic guidelines of 45-60 carbs for meals and 15-30 carbs for up to 2 snacks. This means at supper I normally only take 1 roll, eat my appetizer and/or soup, eat half my dinner, and eat 1/2 my dessert. This normally fills me up and my kids always polish off the rest of my dessert so I am not tempted to eat it because it is there. For me it is not a matter of dieting, but of feeling good after I eat.

I understand you but in my own defense I have to say that just because I am on a cruise does not mean that I have to step back and blow away everything I have worked for (a healthy weight) for the last couple of years. And I am still about 15 lbs over weight.

What you and most people might not understand is that one week's worth of over-eating can set us back months. :eek:

Once we start eating that extra cookie, piece of pie, second helping of pizza, etc it is hard to stop. Yes I eat new foods that I don't get here but I don't over eat. Over-eating is an addiction just like alcohol is an addiction. We exercise, run, walk and with our metabolism it is hard to keep our weight down.

There is more to cruising than eating. Its being out on the open sea, getting to watch Broadway Style Shows that we can't see back home, meeting new people, experiencing new ports of calls and its culture. The

list of reasons, to cruise beside eating, can go on and on.

Do you understand what I am trying to portray to you and everyone else who has never had a weight problem?

Well said! I feel the same way. But I guess everyone knows how hard it is to resist the temptation:). Especially when food is so easily accessible.

I just try to stay away from all the gorgeous desserts they have on board. And always take stairs instead of elevators.

Chelsea

Why do people talking about dieting on a cruise?

Why do you care enough to post this question? If you want to overeat, that doesn't mean others can't eat in moderation on their cruise.

The luxury of a cruise (for me) is the service, getting away from the stress of work and details around the house AND seeing the world (aka seeing how others live, not just the tourist attractions) - not gluttony.

ITA. I lost weight on my recent cruise by being mindful, but not strict, about my eating. Seeing other people spend all day at the buffet made it even easier. I walked the length of the ship many times each day (one reason I love the smaller ships), not for exercise, but because of the locations of the activities I wanted to attend. I tried not to eat more at each meal than I normally do at home. I tried new foods, but if they weren't REALLY good, I set them aside as "not worth the calories". At dinner in the MDR, the portions really aren't that large, so I could have 2 appetizers, an entree, and a dessert without overstuffing myself. As much as I liked the warm chocolate melting cake, I just ate the top and a little of the melted chocolate and left the rest. I didn't deprive myself, I even had an ice cream cone several times during the week.

Bottom line, do what works for you. Don't let others dictate how you eat on your cruise.

Archived