Help Re:Parental Consent Ltr

joshd33

Hey everyone...

Me, DW, DS, and DD will be leaving on the Fantasy next Monday and I am starting to worry just a bit about the parental consent letter that I have heard about on these boards. Here is the problem. My DS (8) is actually my stepson and he shares the same last name as his father not my wife. His father joined the military a couple years ago and we hardly ever hear from him other than the occasional card/visit at Christmas time. We are pretty sure that he is deployed overseas at this time as he hasn't returned any of our emails/letters about this letter.

Now, what the heck should we do? Do you think we should be alright? How can we get him to sign the letter if we cannot get in contact with him?

Thanks everyone...

-Josh

Hey everyone...

Me, DW, DS, and DD will be leaving on the Fantasy next Monday and I am starting to worry just a bit about the parental consent letter that I have heard about on these boards. Here is the problem. My DS (8) is actually my stepson and he shares the same last name as his father not my wife. His father joined the military a couple years ago and we hardly ever hear from him other than the occasional card/visit at Christmas time. We are pretty sure that he is deployed overseas at this time as he hasn't returned any of our emails/letters about this letter.

Now, what the heck should we do? Do you think we should be alright? How can we get him to sign the letter if we cannot get in contact with him?

Thanks everyone...

-Josh

Is your Wife the custodial parent? If so, all is well. She just has to have documents proving that fact.(divorce decree, etc)

I would agree - don't fret too much. Last summer I was traveling with two of my children's friends, had the letters in my posession, and was never asked either upon boarding or back at immigration coming off the ship for these letters. Maybe it's the comfort in knowing that I had the letters in the first place that made us look "not guilty"?

I would agree - don't fret too much. Last summer I was traveling with two of my children's friends, had the letters in my posession, and was never asked either upon boarding or back at immigration coming off the ship for these letters. Maybe it's the comfort in knowing that I had the letters in the first place that made us look "not guilty"?

Actually, it's not Carnival who's demanding it, it's certain countries the visit as port calls -- specifically Mexico.

OP, if your wife is the custodial parent, I would suggest bringing any legal paperwork to that effect -- divorce decree, custody order, etc. If that's not the case, you can probably get a court order the effect that your wife is taking the kid out of the country.

Ultimately, I don't have an answer for you. I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV. You can take the chance that nothing will come of it -- statiscally chances are it won't. Or you can spend the time and money and stress jumping through hoops with to ensure it won't be an issue. It's up to you.

I just took 200 band and chorus students on the Sensation in March, believe me, as long as your wife is on board, there will be no problem. I had to have these forms filled out and signed by each student and parent, in case something came up, or in the event of inappropriate behavior to make sure each understood the consequences. But as far as Carnival is concerned, no matter the last name, you and your wife are in fact the parents, and you will not have any problems without the letter from the biological father.

Mimgan

Hey everyone...

Thanks everyone...

-Josh

I really don't think you would have an issue. I'm divorced, and my daughter and I do not have the same last names, I have a passport, but for my daughter I still only use her BC, and thankfully we've never had a problem. I've also had the letter going into Mexico, but was never asked for it either. I would say do what some of the posters here have said, take all the relevant documentation for your stepson with you just in case, but I truly believe you will be alright.

Have a great time !!!!

Which ship and inti are you going on? Take lots of pics and share :)

Just got back from the ecstasy cruise, took my daughters 17 year old friend. I did get a consent letter from her parents . I thought it wasnt going to be needed after we boarded the ship. Somehow in all the paperwork and daily capers, i lost it! thinking it wouldnt be needed anymore I wasnt to concerned. Only until we got to customs coming back into the states was I asked for it. After explaining that I had it at one time and even went and had it notairzed before we left ,the lady at customs questioned us and my daughters friend with about 20 questions. Such as Do you know these people? did you come on your own free will? do you feel safe going home with them? ect....

By the time we were finished my hands were shaking so bad, all i kept thinking was OMG we are going to have to stay in MEXICO untill she turns 18. (which is only a few days away). So little tip, get it notarized and dont lose it! because they do ask.

I took my granddaughters on the Fantasy in May. I had the form and was never asked for it. When we went thru customs in New Orleans the customs official asked the girls who we were and where they lived. I asked if he needed to see the form and he stated if they had not answered appropriately we would have been required to show our consent form.

p.s. they are 9 and 6

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out!! We are going to be sure to bring the court order (they were never married, so no divorce decree) and birth certificate and marraige certificate so we can explain why my wife's last name is different now than when she signed DS birth cert....

I'm sure it will be a non-issue, but I guess you never really know.... Again, thanks for everyone's advice and feedback!!

-Josh

I really don't think you would have an issue. I'm divorced, and my daughter and I do not have the same last names, I have a passport, but for my daughter I still only use her BC, and thankfully we've never had a problem. I've also had the letter going into Mexico, but was never asked for it either. I would say do what some of the posters here have said, take all the relevant documentation for your stepson with you just in case, but I truly believe you will be alright.

Have a great time !!!!

Which ship and inti are you going on? Take lots of pics and share :)

Thanks for the well-wishes!! We are going on the Fantasy with stops in Cozumel and Calica (Playa Del Carmen)... will definately bring some pics to the board when we return...

Just got back from the ecstasy cruise, took my daughters 17 year old friend. I did get a consent letter from her parents . I thought it wasnt going to be needed after we boarded the ship. Somehow in all the paperwork and daily capers, i lost it! thinking it wouldnt be needed anymore I wasnt to concerned. Only until we got to customs coming back into the states was I asked for it. After explaining that I had it at one time and even went and had it notairzed before we left ,the lady at customs questioned us and my daughters friend with about 20 questions. Such as Do you know these people? did you come on your own free will? do you feel safe going home with them? ect....

By the time we were finished my hands were shaking so bad, all i kept thinking was OMG we are going to have to stay in MEXICO untill she turns 18. (which is only a few days away). So little tip, get it notarized and dont lose it! because they do ask.

So lets see if your little tip of needing a letter makes sense.

You had the letter, but when you were asked for the letter, you didn't have it? A few questions were asked. The end.

Doesn't sound like you needed the letter to me so why would you advise people that are worried and unable to get a letter to have the letter?

So lets see if your little tip of needing a letter makes sense.

You had the letter, but when you were asked for the letter, you didn't have it? A few questions were asked. The end.

Doesn't sound like you needed the letter to me so why would you advise people that are worried and unable to get a letter to have the letter?

:mad: Some people!

Since the purpose of the requirement is to prevent international parental kidnapping or other violations of a parent's custodial rights, the letter is more of a concern when you leave the country than when you come back, and is more of a concern when you're flying than when you're taking a cruise.

Still, you wouldn't want to be the one person that US Customs or Homeland Security chooses to make an example of, that's why you should bring the letter or court documents showing why the letter is not needed or is otherwise unavailable.

Better to have the paperwork and not need it than to need it and not have it.

We have taken six cruises with my stepson and have always had a letter from his dad since he has a different last name than my wife or I. We have never been asked for it. Earlier this year we took a friend of his who is Pakistani and does not look like family so I really wanted a letter from his parents. We were not asked to the letter for either of them. I still would get a letter until he is 18 since I would not want to meet the one person at the terminal who wants to see the letter.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived