Hyatt Regency Century Plaza

Saz

We just got this hotel on Priceline for $100 per night for a 2 night stay prior to boarding the Mercury on 17th May. Any advice on things to do and ways of getting around will be much appreciated. We will not attempt to drive in LA so will be dependent on taxis, HOHO Bus or public transport. Would like to go to Olvera Street, Walk of Fame etc. Have been to Disneyland and Universal on prior visits. This time we'd like to do all the things around Hollywood! Would Super Shuttle or Taxi be the best way to get to pier in San Pedro on the day of boarding?

Any hints/tips much appreciated!

:)

Hello,

I would use Super Shuttle or Prime Shuttle to go from the hotel to the cruise terminal. On the day of your cruise, have either of the shuttle companies pick you up at the hotel about 10AM. You can make all of the arrangements, pay in advance, including a written confirmation from your computer before you leave home. The price will be reasonable and the service will be reliable.

The hotel is located in Century City, which is famous for its office buildings. The "Century" comes from 20th Century Fox as this area was the backlot of the movie studio. The area is served by public transportation. I do not know if the hotel is on the Hop On Hop Off line. A short taxi ride will put on Wilshire Boulevard in the middle of Beverly Hills.

This is a very famous hotel. Ronald Reagan visited here frequently and I believe had his offices in the hotel or nearby after he left office. Presidency.

Hello,

I would use Super Shuttle or Prime Shuttle to go from the hotel to the cruise terminal. On the day of your cruise, have either of the shuttle companies pick you up at the hotel about 10AM. You can make all of the arrangements, pay in advance, including a written confirmation from your computer before you leave home. The price will be reasonable and the service will be reliable.

The hotel is located in Century City, which is famous for its office buildings. The "Century" comes from 20th Century Fox as this area was the backlot of the movie studio. The area is served by public transportation. I do not know if the hotel is on the Hop On Hop Off line. A short taxi ride will put on Wilshire Boulevard in the middle of Beverly Hills.

This is a very famous hotel. Ronald Reagan visited here frequently and I believe had his offices in the hotel or nearby after he left office. Presidency.

Thanks a lot your advice is much appreciated....Saz

Hello,

Prior to visiting Australia I contacted the Australian tourist bureau for information about your great country. And I received lots of information about Sydney and environs.

And...you might consider a package from a tour operator even though you already have a hotel (and an excellent buy). The package should include pickup at LAX, two days of sightseeing, and drop off at the cruise terminal. I do not know of any tour operators but it seems to me that there must be someone interested in providing this for you.

That's a great hotel and if you are in good-shape you walk into and explore Beverly Hills. Also, you can catch the MTA 4 bus and go east into Hollywood or west into Santa Monica. Great location!! Have fun!!

http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php?place0=century+city+&place1=santa+monica&timecrit0=LV&day0=Today&hour0=06&min0=00&ampm0=A&fare=RG&evaluateButton=PLAN+MY+TRIP

Saz,

Addenda...contact the official Los Angeles County Tourism agency and request some brochures. Do the same for the City of Beverly Hills.

Remember, that this is a very expensive part of the world so if an Italian restaurant looks inviting, make sure that you see menus before sitting down. There are lots of places that are reasonable as well but just be careful. Further, there are lots of Mexican restaurants where the food is very good and the prices will be reasonable.

• 1 month later...

You'll be within walking distance of the Century City mall. There's a food court there and many shops. Pretty upscale. Years ago, I worked on the corner of "Little" Santa Monica Blvd and Century blvd. East, and we would often walk across the bridge to go walking around the mall during lunchtime.

http://westfield.com/centurycity/

The only times I've been at that hotel was for a couple of company holiday parties (the hotel was a client of our ad agency).

Olvera Street is across the street from Union Station.

Straight cross the Plaza is the Los Angeles Mission Church and to the left is a Fire Station Museum. It was in use when the fire engines were pulled by horses. Depending on when you go there will be Native dancers in the Plaza. If you are there before 1:30pm on weekdays you will encounter lots of 10-11 year olds on their school field trips.

Check out the tilework at Union station, floor, walls and ceiling. The station was one of the last terminals to be built in the late 1930's. Traxx restaurant inside the terminal is very good .

Nearby is Phillipes, the Beef dip was created here many many years ago

http://www.philippes.com/

Chinatown is also in this area.

Olvera Street is across the street from Union Station.

Straight cross the Plaza is the Los Angeles Mission Church and to the left is a Fire Station Museum. It was in use when the fire engines were pulled by horses. Depending on when you go there will be Native dancers in the Plaza. If you are there before 1:30pm on weekdays you will encounter lots of 10-11 year olds on their school field trips.

Check out the tilework at Union station, floor, walls and ceiling. The station was one of the last terminals to be built in the late 1930's. Traxx restaurant inside the terminal is very good .

Nearby is Phillipes, the Beef dip was created here many many years ago

http://www.philippes.com/

Chinatown is also in this area.

Thanks - we really want to go to Olvera Street, what would be the best way to get there from Century City i.e. public transport or taxi?

Thanks again for all the suggestions

this is where i will be staying when we go, whats good around this hotel as far as nightlife?

You are just a short cab ride away from the Sunset Strip where you will find numerous nightclubs.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Streets/SunsetStripMap.shtml

There are a number of clubs in West Hollywood as well off of Santa Monica Blvd.

I'm not aware of any "clubs" in this area but there are many restaurants with nice bars in them.

Thanks - we really want to go to Olvera Street, what would be the best way to get there from Century City i.e. public transport or taxi?

Thanks again for all the suggestions

You can take public transport by taking a bus to the Western Ave subway station and take the subway to Union Station (cheapest route). Of course you can take a cab but that will be pricy.

You are just a short cab ride away from the Sunset Strip where you will find numerous nightclubs.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Streets/SunsetStripMap.shtml

There are a number of clubs in West Hollywood as well off of Santa Monica Blvd.

I'm not aware of any "clubs" in this area but there are many restaurants with nice bars in them.

great success

Hello,

The Century City Mall serves many office buildings, and these offices house some of the most influential and best paid entertainment attorneys and agents in the world. Futher there are offices of the CPA firms, insurance, and related industries that serve the entertainment industry. Many restaurants have bars where these high powered and exceedingly well paid people have a drink before heading home. And most are highly educated and very smart. You know now so just do not expect the usual mall or places where guys brag about their pick up trucks.

Hello,

The Century City Mall serves many office buildings, and these offices house some of the most influential and best paid entertainment attorneys and agents in the world. Futher there are offices of the CPA firms, insurance, and related industries that serve the entertainment industry. Many restaurants have bars where these high powered and exceedingly well paid people have a drink before heading home. And most are highly educated and very smart. You know now so just do not expect the usual mall or places where guys brag about their pick up trucks.

LOL...what's your point Fred?

Hello,

i brag about who i pick up not a pick up truck

Archived