The bus ride to Alta Hun

NKG6002

We have purchased the excursion to Alta Hun but having some concerns after reading several posts on the boards. We are both 6' tall and consequently need more than usual leg room on a bus. Can anyone give info on the length of the ride, leg room and general comfort on the roads in Belize ? We are on a Carnival sponsored excursion.

Thanks so much !! :D

I agree that the roads were quite bumpy [a few years back], but not for the entire ride, just the last few miles. I have back problems and was fine after the trip. I think it is quite worthwhile. The bus was a typical coach type bus.

We did a river cruise/Altun Ha combined tour. On this tour, you take a boat half way and you will see a lot of wildlife along the way. We stopped for lunch midway and then took a bus to the ruins and back to the port. Since you can do a complete tour of the ruins in an hour or two, I liked the combo tour better than just the ruins. You need bug repellant for the river part though.

I agree that the roads were quite bumpy [a few years back], but not for the entire ride, just the last few miles. I have back problems and was fine after the trip. I think it is quite worthwhile. The bus was a typical coach type bus.

We did a river cruise/Altun Ha combined tour. On this tour, you take a boat half way and you will see a lot of wildlife along the way. We stopped for lunch midway and then took a bus to the ruins and back to the port. Since you can do a complete tour of the ruins in an hour or two, I liked the combo tour better than just the ruins. You need bug repellant for the river part though.

Who did you book that tour through?

Who did you book that tour through?

We did a cruise sponsored tour and were sailing with Princess at the time. I alternate between cruise tour and private tours, but this time I stuck with the cruise one. One thing I noticed is that some of the boats [from other tours] had no shade, luckily our boat had an awning. It was quite warm, so the chance to sit on the shade for awhile was nice. If you go, I highly recommend a hat and bug repellant. I like the wipe kind. They are easy to just stick a few in your bag. This was truly one of my most enjoyable tours. The views along the river were great- pretty houses and lots of wildlife. We saw howler monkees, lots of iguanas, manatees, crocs, tropical birds and dolphins.

The ruins were very interesting and the groung was level for anyone who might have mobility issues.

There were some booths by the parking area where local artisans sold there wares. I bought a beautiful wooden bowl there for considerably less than similar ones found inside the port area.

Archived