Live from the Splendor: Sunday, Dec 13th - Sunday, Dec 20th; PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo.

mathgeek1978

Tuesday, Dec 15th

Breakfast in the MDR

We changed to ship time last night so we sort of lost an hour of sleep. We went to the MDR for breakfast at about 9:30AM ship time. We were seated at a long table and were joined by 3 single diners. We had a very nice conversation going with 2 of them while the third one was pretty much dining by himself.

I had the eggs Benedict, which was rather unique as it was served on a toasted raisin muffin which was a bit sweet. The poached eggs were made to perfection, and accompanied by 2 thick slices of Canadian bacon and Hollandaise sauce.

DW ordered scrambled eggs, corned beef hash and hash brown. We were surprised to find out that the scrambled eggs were not fresh eggs, but just like those from the buffet. So it’s not a good idea to order scrambled eggs in the MDR. Next time she’ll probably order an omelet or fried eggs.

Again, just like our experience at dinner, service was a bit slow. The server did not return to ask whether we wanted more juice or checked on our food. Moreover, we had to wait a long time to get refills for our coffee. Although just a minor disappointment, slower service seems to be becoming consistent in the MDR. I hope that would change tonight…

Love reading your blog. Going on the Splendor in March. Can you please try to get a copy of the camp carnival capers for 9-11 yr olds? Also can you please report on the sushi/tapas? I think they alternate but can't remember exactly what was served when it wasn't sushi.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Have a great time. Can't wait to ready your review and all the information you can share. We'll be sailing the Splendor in March. Have never sailed out of Long Beach. Very interested to hear what everyone is doing in PV, since it is a long day there. We aren't sure what to do. Enjoy!

We will have a full day at PV – 8AM to 10PM – enough for 2 excursions if you are interested. Most morning excursions leave between 8 – 10AM and will return in time for you to catch one of the 3 evening excursions:

Deluxe sunset sail

Rhythms of the night

Sunset Horseback Riding

Love reading your blog. Going on the Splendor in March. Can you please try to get a copy of the camp carnival capers for 9-11 yr olds? Also can you please report on the sushi/tapas? I think they alternate but can't remember exactly what was served when it wasn't sushi.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

No Problem.

Tuesday, Dec 15th. Continued…

Lunch at the Lido Buffet

The variety of food available today was amazing. The International Theme today was Caribbean. The Jamaican beef stew was absolutely delicious – mildly spicy and very tender. Other selections include jerked chicken, rice pilaf with beans, etc. The traditional American fare featured roast leg of lamb, pasta, Italian meatballs, potato wedges, among many other options. DW and I sampled a little of everything and we were so full.

We hanged around the Lido deck for a while, shot some more videos, and then retreated to our balcony to do some reading, take an afternoon nap and get some rest before a very busy night ahead of us:

5:15PM “Remembering Michael” at the Red Carpet Disco

7:00PM Fiesta Latina Show

8:15PM Dinner at the MDR

10:30PM Rock N Roll Deck Party

So check back often for my next report soon! Also feel free to ask any questions that you might have.

Math Geek - loving the blog, details and opinions. Hope you and Mrs. Geek are having a wonderful time. Please let us know what shore tours you are taking in PV, M and CSL. We just left the ship on Sunday 12/13 and were also on Deck 7 Starboard (Cabin 7347). Hope all is well and the weather stays fine for you.

Cindy in Sacramento

I would love to know if anyone spots any whales from the ship. I heard this time of year you can see them from the ship when you are around Cabo . . . . Thanks for the updates. I will be on the Splendor in 31 more days!

We were on the Splendor last week and didn't see any whales. Did hear someone else saying they saw one, though. We did see a pod of dolphins come and swim with the boat one morning while we were eating breakfast. That was pretty cool. We also saw long thin fish jumping quite a ways out of the water one morning. Looked like they were flying, but they weren't the "flying fish" you normally think of. They were maybe a foot long.

Tuesday, Dec 15th. Continued

Remembering Michael at the Red Carpet Disco

This was an event for all ages. There were many children, some as young as maybe 4 years old. There were also many teenagers, and most adults were in their 20’s, 30’s, or 40’s.

As the title would suggest, they were playing Michael Jackson music videos and live performances, with many people dancing along. Many of the kids actually danced pretty well. Many parents were with their children and this was more family oriented than I had expected. So those of you cruising with kids may want to consider this as a family activity.

Fiesta Latina

This show embraced “Latina” to its fullest extent with performances from many different cultures – Mexican, Peruvian, Brazilian, Jamaican, just to name a few. It also included a Gloria Esteffan medley as well as many popular Latina hit music.

The atmosphere went from romantic to fast-tempo salsa to relaxing and casual tropical and Caribbean. The costumes were fantastic and fully reflected the colors of the various cultures.

The lead female vocalist, Ling Ling, was brilliant. The romantic Latin ballads showcased her vocal abilities, which she didn’t have the opportunity to show off in last night’s show, “The Beat”. Her vocal range was amazing and she hit some very high notes right on the money tonight.

The show had all the flavors of “Fiesta Latina” and if you like Latin music, this show is a MUST SEE. Even if you don’t like Latin music, you may really want to check it out – as it could open your eyes to a brand new perspective.

Rock N Roll Deck Party

The party was awesome. It rocked! We had a great band and a great crowd tonight and the party atmosphere was absolutely vibrant. We had people of all ages – from 6 years old to 60 years old – dancing to classic rock ‘n roll music under the stars on the Lido deck.

DW and I had a great time and we danced till our feet were sore. I also shot a bunch of videos of this awesome party which I’ll post when we return.

Up next, Puerto Vallarta…

So far so good. You are doing a bang up job. Arrival in PV is scheduled for 9:00am Ship Time and 10:00am PV time. Could you let us know what time the Ship arrives and what time people start to embark. Please let us know in Ship and PV time. Thanks a bunch.

Ship time is one hour ahead of Pacific time and one hour behind PV time. That is, 8AM Pacific time = 9AM ship time = 10AM PV local time.

We slept in late this morning but hear a series of announcement around 7-ish ship time and I believe people started getting off the ship around 8AM ship time.

I would love to know if anyone spots any whales from the ship. I heard this time of year you can see them from the ship when you are around Cabo . . . . Thanks for the updates. I will be on the Splendor in 31 more days!

We passed by Cabo yesterday around 1 - 1:30PM ship time and quite a lot of people were gathered on the port side of the ship hoping to spot a whale or maybe a few dolphins. I didn't see any the 15 minutes or so that wen were there, although a couple said they had seen a few flying fish.

I am now at an Internet cafe at PV, which is right at the terminal. As you walked out the gangway, you will see a red sign with a big arrow. It's literally a 30-second walk from the gangway. It's $3 for 30 minutes or $6 for an hour.

I´ve go to go now, and will have a full report later tonight.

I just ran into my tablemates who told me that when I was sound asleep this morning, the Splendor hit a small boat while docking. Damages were said to be very minor. THere were no injuries. I'll try to find out more details and post a report tonight.

I just ran into my tablemates who told me that when I was sound asleep this morning, the Splendor hit a small boat while docking. Damages were said to be very minor. THere were no injuries. I'll try to find out more details and post a report tonight.

That would make accident #2 for the Splendor:confused: Wasn't there a thread about the Splendor being cursed:confused::p:D

This is the official letter that was placed in our cabin this evening:

QUOTE:

December 16, 2009

Dear Guests,

I want to take this opportunity to let you know of an incident that occurred earlier this morning.

During a docking maneuver at approximately 7:40am today, the Aft of the ship bumped into a small tender jetty while reversing into the basin of Puerto Vallarta. There were no injuries to report but there was some damage to the ship’s stern. The U. S. Coast Guard and other authorities have been notified. Repairs are underway and we will be sailing from Puerto Vallarta as scheduled.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We hope you enjoyed your time ashore in beautiful Puerto Vallarta.

Sincerely,

Captain Giorgio Pagano

UNQUOTE

They really need to put better rear view mirrors on this ship!

The other incident that happened was caused by one of the tugboats accidentally causing the Splendor to bump another ship. It was not caused by the Splendor or the other ship. My brother was on that cruise and saw it happen, he even made a video of it and I have seen that to.

Yes, I got the same note in our cabin, but I heard the announcemant at dinner, that the 'accident had happened' and that they were surveying the entire ship to make sure that they had nothing to worry about, BUT that the crew and guests needed to be onboard NO LATER than 12 midnight, - 2 hours later than originally planned.

It is now 11:31 ship's time, 12:31 am PV time and we are still docked. They haven't said if they are cancelling excursions, other that someone's sister's boyfiriend's brother know a guy who said they were all cancelled.

All I know is that our table was is at the ass-end of the ship, Gold Pearl 339 and we saw the 'damage' to the port buoy, which is actually part of the dock, and it looked pretty extensive to us.

That's the story, folks. Karaoke is done for the night, and I'm going to sleep... I'll see where we are tomorrow. G'night all!!!

Wednesday, Dec 16th

Puerto Vallarta

We were tired from too much dancing (and maybe drinking?) from the deck party last night so we slept in late. We heard the sound of the ship docking and a series of announcements but we just slept right through them.

It turned out that around 7:40AM, the Splendor bumped into a small tender boat while docking. (See separate post above).

When we awoke and looked out the window, we saw the HAL Oosterdam docked right next to us. We got out of bed and ran upstairs to the Lido buffet to grab a quick breakfast. As expected, it was not crowded as many people have already left for their excursions. In fact, only half of the Lido buffet was open by the time we got there. Breakfast was good, and the sautéed sliced potatoes was delicious.

Mismaloya City Tour

The brochure said: “A must for first time visitors to Puerto Vallarta.” I said: “Not really.” It was a good tour – but definitely not a must.

We did get to see everything promised in the brochure: The Cathedral, Downtown, Gringo Gulch, Mismaloya, etc. But it was more like a shopping tour than a sight-seeing tour. We were given enough time to explore the Cathedral, which was our first stop, and was probably the highlight of our tour.

The rest of the tour was mostly about shopping, and we were taken to several pre-selected stores. We were not given enough time to explore the scenic shoreline areas where there were many monuments and sculptures. I was a little disappointed that I only had time to shoot a few minutes of videos. This is our first time here so we didn’t know the area. The next time we would probably take a cab downtown and explore the area ourselves.

The rest of the tour was uneventful. We did find some good bargains and bought some nice jewelry and souvenirs for $1 to $5 apiece.

The Mexican Folkloric Show

There’s only one show at 9PM and that conflicted with the time of our late seating dinner. Since we were in Mexico and we really wanted to take the opportunity to explore its culture, we opted to skip dinner in the MDR and just grabbed something from the buffet.

And we were glad that we made the right decision.

The cast of the show consisted of a 9-member Mariachi band, 3 female and 2 male dancers, and a proud 67 year old team leader/director. The entire performance was authentic folklore Mexican, from the music to the costumes, from the dance steps to the rhythm.

The show was not just entertaining. It was more than that. It portrayed another perspective of Mexico that we seldom, if ever, see in the United States. That amid all the social and economic problems and stigma, Mexico is a proud country with a rich culture that we could all learn to appreciate.

Just when you thought you’ve seen enough Mexican dances for the night, the show gave us a surprise ending that was so good that the whole house was screaming “encore!” So what was that final act? I won’t spoil it for you, but I will let you find out for yourself when you’re sailing on the Splendor.

Sail away Deck Party & Mexican Buffet

Due to the repairs that are being made, the gangway will remain open till midnight (supposed to be 9:30PM). It was announced that the delay in departure should not delay arrival at Mazatlan tomorrow morning.

So the Sail Away Deck Party was held at the Port of PV the entire time. The attendance was disappointing. There were hardly more than a dozen people on the dance floor at most times. Even the “YMCA” couldn’t wake up the crowd. I suspect that most people were just exhausted – from multiple parties last night to a long days in PV with many activities and excursions, plus all the actions in the local bars – and needed their batteries recharged tonight. I think the two back-to-back deck parties was not a good idea.

The Mexican buffet served from 11PM was very crowded, and the variety of food was abundant – especially the dessert. There were many, many more people at the buffet than on the dance floor; another sign that many of us needed our batteries recharged.

At 1:25AM ship time, we are still docked in PV…

Archived