Costa Maya and Roatan info requests???

dixie54

10 of us are going for our first visit to these places the end of February on the voyager. We are in our 50's and 60's.

So, we are looking for fun ideas etc. which place is the best to snorkel in?? We heard tha fin and flipper has just gone up to $50. We don't want to pay that much. Is the water warm enough the end of february??

Thanks so much for any information on these places!

Dixie- I have not been to Roatan, so I can't comment on that port, however Costa Maya is another story. I've been to Costa Maya several times. It got hit severely by Hurricane Rita (2005, I think) but has almost completely rebuilt. With that said, it's still a developing port, meaning outside of the shops right off the pier, there isn't a lot else going on. DH snorkeled there last year, but he said there wasn't a lot of coral left due to the 2005 hurricane (or maybe a more recent storm). So my advice is to see what others say about Roatan for your snorkeling. As for Costa Maya, I world highly reccomend one of the Mayan Ruin tours. Hope you have a great time with whatever you decide.

DW and I id a Costa Maya/Roatan cruise last spring. Before the cruise I had read a lot about sand fleas in Roatan, so we changed our plans and took our beach break day at Costa Maya. The Jungle Beach Break there is awsome. The beach is big and clean, the food service is good and affordable, the extras (like snorkeling equipment) are also priced fairly. I rented a snorkeling set for $10.00. You can also rent mini-powerboats and some other stuff that I forget. We are frequenters of Beach Breaks and this was our favorite so far. I have also done the Chachoben Mayan Ruins tour in Costa Maya. It, too, is awesome.

In Roatan we did the "Best of Roatan" tour. It was lame, but better than getting bitten up by sand fleas. The following day was a sea day. By the pool I sat next to a woman with red welts all over her legs. She said she took the beach break in Roatan. I have heard that the snorkeling in Roatan is awesome, so you may want to snorkel there; just stay off the beach!

We had planned to do fins and flippers but ended up doing an excursion through the ship and were we glad we did! It was AMAZING! It was the one that combines sea kayaking and snorkling. First we kayaked along the shore and then took a hike along the shore and then up a huge hill to a beautiful view. The whole hike we got info on the island, vegetation, etc. The water glimmered from the silver in the sand (yes, actual silver flakes). Then we snorkled in a bay. This made the swimming so easy and relaxing because it was protected from the currents. We saw all kinds of coral, octopus, MANY types of fish, rock lobsters. We swam out to the drop off which was cool to see from the coral to the dark blue nothing. Another group did the opposite snorkle then kayak. I think we had 15 in our group, 15 in thre other. Then they fed us lunch of quesadillas, homemade chips and salsa, and huge fruit plates. Everything about it was excellent, safe. They were very deserving of tips. We did not get bit by flees but we didn't sit on the beach either, we were always moving.

In Costa Maya we took the short trip to the ruins and then hung out at the beach in mahjual (sp?). Massages, lunch, jet ski, drinks. All less than $100. We went to a place all the way down. Can't remember the name but it is a big place. Wished we had more time there. Be adivsed they take you way out in the ocean with the jet skis because of the sand bars up close. The waves were rough that day and we had to move fast or get tipped over. My bottom paid for it as we went double and I couldn't stand the whole time. They sandbars protects the beach from any real waves.

Have fun!!!!

Monica

Archived