Seattle - Pike Place Market

lmmn

We will be going on a cruise in July 2005 out of Vancouver, but will be spending a night in Seattle. Our flight does not get in until around 7:00 PM...is there anything going on a Pike Place Market at night? Is it worth the trip? We're staying at a hotel near the airport, so we would need to take a taxi. If this is not an option, are there any other recommendations of places to go things to see in this very short time we're in Seattle? We will be with two teens.

I love the Market...if you're a foodie - it's a must see! I wish I could have bought the huge bouquets of flowers for $5!! Fresh cheese making, the fish and seafood, crumpet shop, food tastings yum!

My husband also very much enjoyed the Underground city tour. There's a lot to see in Seattle.

IMO, it's not worth a taxi ride from the airport to the market. I think it's at least 30 miles one way. I used to drive from the airport to an apartment in Bell Town (walking distance to the market) when I had a travel nurse position in Seattle. It would be an expensive cab ride RT.

There is very little going on at the market at night. Most of the stands and shops are closed by 5pm. There are some good restaurants in the Market that stay open late, but I don't know if it's worth a drive up from SeaTac. The airport is about 20 minutes from downtown Seattle. ETA: the cab fare is around $30 to get to downtown from the airport.

Why don't you find a hotel closer to downtown. The space needle is neat.

What a beautiful view at night from the top. We sailed from Seattle in July 2003. The Hampton Inn near the space needle is within walking distance and closer to the Port.

Hope you have a great time. Really liked Seattle.

The Seattle Amtrak station is just south of the downtown area.

If you have to be at the station the following morning, I'd recommend that you overnight downtown rather than at the airport, so you could see a little of Seattle. There are Airporter buses to the downtown hotels. I have stayed at the Westin and the Mayflower Park Hotel; both are nice hotels and adjacent to the monorail to the space needle. (There are many other downtown hotels also.) Many nice restaurants, too.

Also, if you stay downtown, you will avoid the trip into the city in morning rush hour traffic. It is a short cab ride from a downtown hotel to the station.

Archived