St John Cost - Am I missing something ?

wdw_dave

For my family of four and reading all the threads it will cost me about $200 to get to Trunk Bay via taxis and ferries. The NCL excursion will cost me $225. For $25 if feels worth it not to have to worry about the trains, planes, and automobiles?? Even with the hourly ferry I am not sure I would get that much more time than the 4 hour NCL excursion?

I might catch the 10a ferry but might have to wait fo the 11 and then take the 3 back to be safe and back on ship by 4. That is only one hour more. I guess I could get the 4 ferry back but that seems to be cutting it to close? Seems like the NCL excursion would be more efficient in terms of time and scheduling?

Any thoughts? Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Dave

I'm not sure why you are getting such a high figure. If you take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie, the fare is $24 round trip for adults and $7 for children 2-11. If you take the ferry from Red Hook, the fare is $12 round trip for adults and $2 for children. When you get to St. John just grab one of the open air "safari" taxis, they are quite cheap. If you are going to Trunk Bay there is an entrance fee ($3 I think). I don't know the taxi rates on St. Thomas but I don't think they can be that high. If you don't want to pay for food over on St. John then just pack yourself a little lunch from the ship (get some sandwiches, fruit etc.)

This is an easy excursion to do yourself. Also you have a little more freedom; if you want to go to a different beach, or not spend all your time at the beach, you can do what you want. (For what it's worth, I think I would buy one way tickets, that way you could switch ferry services if you wish.)

From What I can tell:

Taxi = $11 pp to Red Hook 1 way

Family of 4 RT with Tip = $100

Ferry = $6 pp OW

Family of 4 RT = $26

Trunk Bay Taxi = $6 pp OW

Family of 4 RT = $50

Trunk Bay Admission = $16 Family

Total Cost = $192

I read a lot about 'do it yourself' but I think in this case people should really look at the ship excursions and compare the costs. Again unless I am clueless and am missing something :)

Dave

Dave, your total works out to be correct, but amounts used are just a little off for the STT taxi fare and the ferry RT calculation - here is a correction:

NCL usually is at Havensight, so taxi rate is from there.

Taxi = $10 pp to Red Hook 1 way

Family of 4 roundtrip = $80

Ferry = $6 pp OW (and $1.00/Children ages 2-11)

Family of 4 adults RT = $48

Trunk Bay Taxi = $6 pp OW

Family of 4 RT = $48

Trunk Bay Admission ($4/adult; 16 & under/Free)

4 adults: $16

Total Cost = $192

--Islander

Archived