When is it too windy to tender?

sparky791

Looking ahead, we come in to cayman islands on the 22nd. Forecast right now calls for 25mph winds out of the NNE. When is it too windy to tender? I know it happens every so often. We are scheduled to jet ski with fat fish and I also wonder how windy it has to be not to jet ski? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

All right smartee pants, think they meant how many miles per hour the wind.... I'd guess no more than 25-30 that's pretty windy. I can't see much higher than that working in your favor

Thanks for the legitimate response. They are talking 25+mph, so I think we could be in trouble. But what the heck we will still be in Carribean.

It is a combination of wind speed and direction that matters.

George Town is on the western end of the island. Winds from the NE, ENE, E, ESE, or SE generally provide well sheltered conditions and relatively calm seas of making the transfers on and off the tenders.

Winds of 25mph from the NNE may, (just maybe, possibly, might) provide enough fetch for the waves to build up and cause problems with transfers.

If it is too rough in George Town, a wind from the NNE should provide excellent shelter and calm seas for operations at the alternate site at Spotts. Remember that the Spotts dock can only handle passengers from up to 3 normal size ships.

Thanks for the help. Latest weather report from caymanweather.com does not sound good. Three previous days up until we arrive from the Legend on the 22nd are calling for rough waves 4-6 feet. They have already issued a small craft advisory for the 19,20, and 21st.

Looks like our fat fish tour on jet skis will be cancelled. Anyone have suggestions for alternative activity for six people if we still can get in to Cayman Islands but not jet ski?

I wouldn't worry about it - won't do any good, anyway.

If you can tender...

The ship will cancel their water related tours before private operators do. If the ship does start canceling tours, don't assume private tours are doing the same.

There could still be snorkeling in sheltered areas. I've done that when other tours have canceled.

Do they ever substitute another port? We are due there 12/24 and it is our only non-US port.

We missed GC on our last cruise on the Legend.

The seas did not seem rough.

We did not substitute another port, we had an extra sea day.

Archived