Acapulco Flea Market?

chimerix

I have seen a post here or there mentioning a Flea Market in Acapulco; but a search failed to turn up anything useful.

Can anyone tell me were the Flea Market in Acapulco is located in relation to the cruise terminal?

Much Aloha!

H

I have seen a post here or there mentioning a Flea Market in Acapulco; but a search failed to turn up anything useful.

Can anyone tell me were the Flea Market in Acapulco is located in relation to the cruise terminal?

Much Aloha!

H

Don't expect to find bargains there. The prices are very high, and they don't come down much, if any.

As the term is most often used and recognized in the USA, and even in Canada, there is no "flea market" in Acapulco that I've ever seen or heard of. There are some small "markets" which offer, almost exclusively, things to sell to tourists: t-shirts, sandals, swim trunks, inner tubes, hats, glasses, sun block, etc.

There is an "artisan" market which is a more formal version of the smaller touristy markets and its here where many/most of the tour guides take their unsuspecting fares and from which merchants they often receive a commission for bring tourists there. The merchandise offered here is probably a step up from what the smaller touristy markets offer - and prices are higher, also.

Then there's the central de abastos, the city's central market - and this is a true market and not geared toward tourists, as far as selling trinkets, t-shirts, etc. It's a market that pre-dated the large supermarkets and is still where many Acapuleqeños shop.

And then there are the weekly "tianguis" - street markets - which spring-up on certain days in certain "colonias" (neighborhoods) where neighborhood residents can buy produce, clothing, housewares, etc. Tourists don't often visit these one-day-only markets because knowing their location takes knowledge local residents mostly have.

"Central de Abastos" - the "Central Market" - is where I suggest you visit if you want to see a slice of life most tourists never see. If you're looking for things to buy to bring home - cheap-priced t-shirts, etc. - then any of the smaller markets will do. The central market is less than 10-minutes from the cruise ship passenger terminal by taxi.

Hey gomexico,

What about the one that's supposed to be kind of behind the Zocalo heading towards Fort San Diego. I haven't been there but my understanding is that it is a good place for tourists.

Personally, for me, I would tend to look for the artisan markets more than the t-shirt, margarita glass, mexican blanket, leather belt type shops - but some people seem to like that stuff.

Hey gomexico,

What about the one that's supposed to be kind of behind the Zocalo heading towards Fort San Diego. I haven't been there but my understanding is that it is a good place for tourists.

Artesanías Mercado Parrazal - that's the market you're remembering. It'll be one of the better, and more convenient, markets for visitors to pick-up remembrances not only of Acapulco, but items from many parts of Mexico. By taxi, the market is probably a 5 minute ride from the cruise ship passenger terminal and the cost is probably in the range of MX$30 (about US$3).

As the term is most often used and recognized in the USA, and even in Canada, there is no "flea market" in Acapulco that I've ever seen or heard of. There are some small "markets" which offer, almost exclusively, things to sell to tourists: t-shirts, sandals, swim trunks, inner tubes, hats, glasses, sun block, etc.

There is an "artisan" market which is a more formal version of the smaller touristy markets and its here where many/most of the tour guides take their unsuspecting fares and from which merchants they often receive a commission for bring tourists there. The merchandise offered here is probably a step up from what the smaller touristy markets offer - and prices are higher, also.

Then there's the central de abastos, the city's central market - and this is a true market and not geared toward tourists, as far as selling trinkets, t-shirts, etc. It's a market that pre-dated the large supermarkets and is still where many Acapuleqeños shop.

And then there are the weekly "tianguis" - street markets - which spring-up on certain days in certain "colonias" (neighborhoods) where neighborhood residents can buy produce, clothing, housewares, etc. Tourists don't often visit these one-day-only markets because knowing their location takes knowledge local residents mostly have.

"Central de Abastos" - the "Central Market" - is where I suggest you visit if you want to see a slice of life most tourists never see. If you're looking for things to buy to bring home - cheap-priced t-shirts, etc. - then any of the smaller markets will do. The central market is less than 10-minutes from the cruise ship passenger terminal by taxi.

The last time I was in Acapulco a couple of years ago, there were signs on the street that directed you to the Flea Market. Has that changed ?

Thanks so much gomexico!

This is much more what I am looking for! Not t-shirt/keychain (I get enough of that here in Hawaii!)

Is this the same as #6 Central Market in the map above?

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to know if anyone has any info on buying some locally made cigars. Maybe at the murcado municipal?

Thanks

I don't smoke, so I don't purchase tobacco products. Having said that, I've never heard of "locally made" cigars in Acapulco.

To the best of my knowledge cigars which are hand-made in Mexico are made on the opposite coast - the Gulf Coast - in the "Los Tuxtlas" region of the state of Veracruz.

Cuban-made cigars are sold in Mexico and as long as you don't attempt to bring back the "contriband" into the USA I don't see the possibility of someone objecting to your purchsing them.

Tobacco in Mexico, from what legions of smokers there have told me, isn't very good quality.

A couple of thoughts on where to look for cigars when you get into Acapulco: La Divina is a large liquor and “other stuff” store directly across the street from the cruise ship passenger terminal you will exit from. Check there first. Secondly, as you leave La Divina walk to your right maybe 2 blocks – toward the city’s old town “Zocalo” section – and you will come upon (on your right side) a Sanborn’s store. Sanborn’s is a well-regarded miniature department store. Sanborn’s prices are likely to be higher than La Divina’s (if that liquor store sells cigars). Both stores are on “Costera Miguel Aleman,” the coastal roadway which follows the bay in Acapulco.

I would like to know if anyone has any info on buying some locally made cigars. Maybe at the murcado municipal?

Thanks

on CC there is a board talking about this search for it

I dont know how to do the link

Thanks to all, I believe you have hit the nail on the head. I am somewhat familiar with Mexican cigars, I would say they are just different in taste and not really "bad", just an aquired taste. I will also grab a few cubans, for local consumption.

Thanks again, I will check both locations that were suggested.

Archived