Beware of the mosquitos at Chankanaab...

MamaParrotHead

I was prepared for the other ports, based on what I had read here on CC. But didn't read anything about mosquitos at Chank, so I left the bug spray in our cabin on the ship the day we were in Coz.

We hooked up with a guide who wanted to take us on a little tour of the interior of the park (which I had been really looking forward to), but no sooner had we entered the area with all the trees and plants than we were slapping mosquitos on us like there was no tomorrow. We literally ran out of there, the whole 25 yards we were in, and to the gift shop to buy their $8 bug spray. It was AWFUL. We got out pretty lucky though, as I saw other kids that day there that had welts all over their faces, backs, arms and legs. The guys at the dive shop were chuckling about their "pirahnas" (the mosquitos), although we didn't have any problems on the beach with them.

Chank itself was GREAT, I just wanted to forewarn everyone else to bring their bug spray and liberally apply it.

Please buy environmental friendly mosquito repellents to protect the reefs. Many places strictly enforce sunscreens and repellents that will not do harm to the reefs. You should be able to google suggested brands.

Yes, anywhere in the tropics mosquitoes can be bad and this year in Cozumel has been worse than many years.

It actually hadn't occured to me to purchase environmentally friendly repellant, although I did hunt (and pay) for the eco-friendly sunscreen (that nobody paid any attention to, then was chastised by my DH because everyone else on the entire beach was slathering on good ol' Banana Boat).

I'm assuming that the stuff they sold at Chank was eco-friendly?

I would certainly hope that Chankanaab would sell eco-friendly, but like many things, nothing would surprise me.

Xcaret the water park on the mainland used to ban use of all sunscreens. You had to check them at the entrance, they would be marked and returned when you left. That was fifteen years ago before the development of assorted eco-friendly products. Chankanaab is in the middle of the primary protected marine park reef system. They have many rules for scuba divers with reef protection in mind. Divers may not wear gloves nor carry dive knives as two examples. The treasure of the reefs here are under attack from many factors, most recently the migration of the lion-fish which is devastating to the reef residents.

Interesting about the lion fish. And all of the "no gloves or knives" signs, for us non-divers, were quite confusing, LOL. Thanks for clearing that up.

We LOVED Chankanaab, and wished we had more time to spend there. It will always be special to us now because that's where we introduced our kids to snorkeling, it was wonderful and just perfect for that purpose.

We were there on Nov 25 and the mosquitoes were terrible then, especially in the walking trails. I had the bug repellent towlets on the ship and also forgot them. We would slap them as soon as they landed and get a big splat of blood! That was before they bit us!

We didn't get eaten for too long as there was an usually heavy rainstorm and had to leave soon after we got there.

Chankanaab seemed like an awesome place and is on our to do list if we ever get back to Cozumel.

Archived