Help..Grand Princess Belize..Also posted in Roll calls

Kwaye36

:confused: Limited port time of the Grand Princess –Belize. At the risk of over discussing this subject..I still have not heard of any reviews from previous Grand Cruisers on this excursion in Belize (by independents). As a matter of fact, I can't recall reading any reviews of those using the ship’s cave tours???

Am I just missing these threads? Please… if anyone knows of information about how the Cave Tubing in Belize (Grand Princess only) works out with the short port times, I would so much appreciate them sharing with us. I really want to do this.

I emailed Reggie Tours about a month ago and at that time he said that he was not doing the tubing. I also emailed Capt. Marvin last week but have not heard from him.

We leave Jan. 22...Should we go with the crowded Ships Tour? (at the cost of additional cost of $80.00 for 2):(

That is the same review that had me booking with Marvin. I emailed him and he responded the next day. He was very accomidating due to the time we had in port. I really can't wait for this excursion. We are sailing on the 29th on the Grand and wanted a smaller tour so when we saw the many positive reviews Marvin was getting we chose him.

We were on the Grand - December 18th sailing. I had booked the cave tubing tour through the internet and obviously concerned about supplying my credit card but I was assured by Marvin that he had a secure site. By the way, he also answered me almost immediately.

We arrived on Dec. 20th into Belize late but when we did get into port, Marvin was waiting for all of us. Quickly we boarded a shuttle van and we were off. Just a note, there was a family that did not get on the first tenders to shore and missed the shuttle. They were placed in a car and they caught up to the shuttle van! Nice service.

Our tour was cut short because of our late arrival, but the tour was fantastic. It was my husbands favorite. The water was a bit cold and the hike carrying tubes was somewhat taxing, the caves are amazing. This is what I would call a tour not to miss.

By the way, the ships tour to the cave tubing was cancelled.

I am booked with Marvin (Wet and Wild) on Jan 17th (wow -- that's just 4 days away)!!! The first thing I will do when I get back is post a big 'ole note about my expereince cave tubing and all things Belize. I had a lot of trouble finding in-depth information from others from the Grand who had done this tour, so I will definitely post all about it! I am nervous about missing the boat -- but also noted that it is only a 6 hour drive to the next port of call, so if we miss it we are merely in for another adventure. Be looking for my post sometime after the 22nd! I too picked Marvin due to the great posts from people off of other cruise lines and his quick turn-around time with the e-mails.

I am nervous about missing the boat -- but also noted that it is only a 6 hour drive to the next port of call, so if we miss it we are merely in for another adventure.

That's a GREAT point that I realized yesterday also. I was really stressing about maybe missing the boat but it is just a short distance to the next port and no flying required. So it is really no big deal at all and a GRAND time should be had with no worries (that's my theory anyway). That realization is really quite calming. Just have enough cash or credit cards with you to rent the car to get down there! :)

We booked with Marvin for Feb. 5th cruise. It was $44 deposit for 4 of us with balance due on arrival. Full refunds if Grand changes ports or tour operator cancels tour for inclement weather. Grand did switch up port calls recently which threw a lot of people off schedule.

That's a GREAT point that I realized yesterday also. I was really stressing about maybe missing the boat but it is just a short distance to the next port and no flying required. So it is really no big deal at all and a GRAND time should be had with no worries (that's my theory anyway). That realization is really quite calming. Just have enough cash or credit cards with you to rent the car to get down there! :)

And if you have your passport and international driver's license, you'll be good to go.

Good Point! You don't need a passport if you are a cruise ship passenger who is not staying in Belize or Mexico. However the moment the ship leaves, your status changes from what I've heard. Can be a little tricky if you get left behind or get "kicked off" the ship. What does the U.S. do to illegals....?

Now, think about what these other countries might do - where is the U.S. Embassy?

I'm so stressed about missing the ship, I'm going to pay the extra money for the ship's tour- peace of mind. My girlfried also said she wants zero chance of missing the ship and would not even let me consider booking an independent tour. If the tubing cancels this trip, there is always another cruise.

Ok -- my review is posted here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=126358

I hope it helps. It would be really rare if you missed the ship using a private tour rather than the cruise tour. You seriously get herded like cattle on the cruise tour -- I was glad I booked with Wet and Wild. Check out my expereince. Also -- the whole driving to the next port thing would not have worked! Belize was very underdeveloped -- would have been difficuly arranging that kind of transportation.

Archived