Grand Etang Hiking

DanielBu

Hello,

has anybody done any hiking around the Grand Etang with a guide (to some waterfalls etc.)?

Has the rainforest already recovered from the damages caused by hurricane Ivan in 2004, is it worth seeing?

Thx.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel,

I was just there. While the rainforest was damaged, and isn't as nice as Dominica, it is still worth seeing.

How long are you in port, and how fit are you?

There is a lot of good hiking around the Grand Etand Lake, and most of it doesn't require a guide since most of the trails are well marked and in decent shape. The trail to Mt Qua Qua is scenic, but don't attempt it if you are scared of heights, since you are climbing along the rim of the crater with drop offs on both sides. Also beware of razor grass.

If you are adventuresome you don't even need a taxi. Just take the #6 "bus" to the Grand Etang Lake, which costs $2 (US) per person each way. They don't run on a fixed schedule so make sure you leave PLENTY of time to get back to the ship.

If you are in port for a LONG time, and are in EXCELLENT physical condition, I can recommend one of the best hikes in the Caribbean to you. However, it's suicidal without a guide, and even with a guide there is a small chance you could still miss your ship.

Dennis

Hello,

thx for your answer.

Well, I´m not adventerous and not really used to long hikes. And don´t like hikes were you can fall easily or were it is very slipery. But as I am only 36 and healthy I have no difficulties in walking or sports.

The tour they offer is said to start at the information center at Grand Etang. It will take 40 minutes through the rainforest and a little way down to two small waterfalls and then all the same way back. Do you know this roundway?

We loved small hikes like this on Guadeloupe. The tours offered on Dominika seem to be more difficult (do you know the "Rastaman´s hike" there?).

Daniel

Berlin / Germany

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel,

That sounds suspiciously like the Seven Sisters Falls. It's a nice hike, but too short, too easy, and too touristy for my tastes. You should find plenty of information about that hike on this board.

I'm guessing you would probably want to do more than just this hike. If you get your own guide, there are a few other waterfalls in the same general area they can take you to, or a few other short hikes along the road to the falls.

The only thing that confuses me is that they say they start at the "information center at Grand Etang". If they are truly starting at the information center at Grand Etang LAKE, ignore what I wrote above, since they would be taking you on a less common trail I haven't been on.

Dennis

Archived