Washing clothes off the ship

ocwave1x

May I ask why you say that? I think the dry cleaning rates are very reasonable but the laundry prices seem very high. Given that I am about to leave on a 14 day cruise I would love to know if there are places that will do laundry in some of the ports in Columbia, Costa Rica, or Mexico.

With luggage weight requirement on all airlines, bringing clothes for a longer cruise can be a real challenge.

Because I don't want to use my port time doing laundry.

Because I don't want to use my port time doing laundry.

Then do as we would like, and pay someone to do it for you, just not the most expensive option if an easy local one is available....

Why is this so hard for the Howels to understand? :D

Then do as we would like, and pay someone to do it for you, just not the most expensive option if an easy local one is available....

Why is this so hard for the Howels to understand? :D

Not sure about the Howels but I've never seen prices posted here on what the cost/time/convinience would be if you went to an on shore alternative. Folks get asking for the alternatives and all I ever see is recommendations of using the ships laundry.

If anyone wants to give concrete examples, here is the place to do it.

Not sure about the Howels but I've never seen prices posted here on what the cost/time/convinience would be if you went to an on shore alternative. Folks get asking for the alternatives and all I ever see is recommendations of using the ships laundry.

If anyone wants to give concrete examples, here is the place to do it.

Wash and fold service where we go in the summer when cruising on our own boat charges $ 1.00 CAN a pound for wash and fold, three hour service. Two weeks of two peoples undies, shorts, T's and boat sheets etc run us 15 lbs sometime 20 lbs..... but that's life off a sailboat and includes bedding. Two pillow cases stuffed.

In the Islands if such service exists I would guess it's in the same ball park cost per pound, but without bed sheets and towels and stuff (duh obviously)....

PS We are doing a B2B though Southampton this May and since the turn around is almost two weeks into our trip it'd be a perfect place if a drop-off wash and fold were convenient....

Not for some but cruising fits many life and travel styles doesn't it. :)

Wash and fold service where we go in the summer when cruising on our own boat charges $ 1.00 CAN a pound for wash and fold, three hour service. Two weeks of two peoples undies, shorts, T's and boat sheets etc run us 15 lbs sometime 20 lbs..... but that's life off a sailboat and includes bedding. Two pillow cases stuffed.

In the Islands if such service exists I would guess it's in the same ball park cost per pound, but without bed sheets and towels and stuff (duh obviously)....

PS We are doing a B2B though Southampton this May and since the turn around is almost two weeks into our trip it'd be a perfect place if a drop-off wash and fold were convenient....

I don't know exactly where you can find the information you want, but I have a feeling it is not on these boards!

Perhaps if you google the ports in question, you can find a hotel or restaurant that you can contact. Someone there would be better to answer your questions. Good luck!

If you are in contact with a private tour operator about tours at the port, that operator may have a "connection" or suggestion for you.

If you are docking where private boats or yachts dock-there are usually places to do/have laundry done. You might contact(google) the local harbor master.

Good Luck

I thought you were looking for some place in the Caribbean. There are at least two laundries in Southampton that I know of. I used Abbey Cleaners and Laundry (got the name from the Holiday Inn, Southampton). They picked up at the hotel, dropped off the next morning. Didn't need the clothes before noon checkout, so don't know whether they do one day service. This was NOT particularly cheap-seems to me it was about $50 for a suitcase full of laundry including pressing.

There was also another one (self service) VERY close to the dock-in the little shopping area by the dock. Noticed it when I went down to watch the QE2 come into the pier very early morning because it was one of the few things open. I will see if I can find the name, as I know I got a map from the dock area.

There was also a dry cleaners (may be a laundry also) very close to the shopping center across the street from the Holiday Inn and very close (like two buildings away) from the DeVere Grand Harbour hotel. I am sure an email or phone call to either hotel can set you up perfectly. The Holiday Inn and the DeVere are about three long blocks from the pier.

There are no airline weight "restrictions". There is just a relatively small extra charge for bringing another bag. The airlines are trying to increase their revenues also. When you consider the cost of your cruise, you might want to think of taking that extra bag. Then you can dress appropriately and do your laundry at home at the end of your vacation.

There are weight restrictions. Check with your airline. At Delta it was $25. for the first bag and $35. for the second. If they were over the weight limit, either 40 or 50 lbs. there was a huge charge. If you check your bags in at the airport with Delta it is $5. more per bag than if you do your checkin online.You could probably do a bag of laundry cheaper than you could pay for an extra bag. Check with your airline, each airline is different.

There are weight restrictions. Check with your airline. At Delta it was $25. for the first bag and $35. for the second. If they were over the weight limit, either 40 or 50 lbs. there was a huge charge. If you check your bags in at the airport with Delta it is $5. more per bag than if you do your checkin online.You could probably do a bag of laundry cheaper than you could pay for an extra bag. Check with your airline, each airline is different.

There have been weight restrictions for a LOOOONG time. 50 pounds is about the general rule (unless you are flying USA/Brazil). For an international trip, there are few baggage fees if you pick the right airline.

For USA domestic trips, you will pay between $15-25 per bag, even the second one. Total for TWO bags on a US domestic flight SHOULD NOT exceed $50.00 EACH WAY. It would be economical for a couple to take ONE second bag. 50 pounds of clothes (of course less luggage weight=40 pounds of clothes) is a LOT of clothes. I doubt you could launder 40 pounds of clothes for what the second bag charge is on the airline ($50.00 RT). Now the big question-who is going to handle the second bag??? I have the second bag very frequently, but I don''t travel light. That's what that stack of $1.00's is for-NEVER costs me more than $10.00 to get someone to handle ALL my luggage.

Totally agree. Glad to see this has turned positive vs. folks pointing fingers at each other. The cruise is the thing and individuals make there own tradeoffs on what is most important to them.

I thought you were looking for some place in the Caribbean. There are at least two laundries in Southampton that I know of. I used Abbey Cleaners and Laundry (got the name from the Holiday Inn, Southampton). They picked up at the hotel, dropped off the next morning. Didn't need the clothes before noon checkout, so don't know whether they do one day service. This was NOT particularly cheap-seems to me it was about $50 for a suitcase full of laundry including pressing.

There was also another one (self service) VERY close to the dock-in the little shopping area by the dock. Noticed it when I went down to watch the QE2 come into the pier very early morning because it was one of the few things open. I will see if I can find the name, as I know I got a map from the dock area.

There was also a dry cleaners (may be a laundry also) very close to the shopping center across the street from the Holiday Inn and very close (like two buildings away) from the DeVere Grand Harbour hotel. I am sure an email or phone call to either hotel can set you up perfectly. The Holiday Inn and the DeVere are about three long blocks from the pier.

I'm not the Opening poster, who was asking about Caribbean ports where one could get laundry done, do-it-yourself (or wash and fold)

I have just continued on a sadly predictable and a CC defensive trend where a cheerleader group who can only support their own holidays (re: unlimited budget, don't be a cheap skate it's a vacation, I spend more than you) and use the form for information that benefits many.... I am just asking (like the OP) ... where are the shore based laundry services accessible to cruise ship customers in the popular ports of call and especially in turn-around ports.

Thanks for the Southampton names BTW! We'll be there a few days pre cruise and check it all out, and use the money saving (read cruise bank enriching) facilities well into our teachers salary cruises... (almost 30 and counting) :D

• 1 month later...

Another place to check for self service laundry in ports (especially european) would be to read any of Rick Steeves books. He always uses self serve laundry on his trips and enjoys it because he meets local people there. He has books and DVDs.

We too are trying to figure out an economical way of doing laundry on the ship as I like to take carry ons only.

An idea might be to check the yacht mooring places. Lots of them have laundry rooms, and it may be possible to get access to use them. A search on Noonsite http://www.noonsite.com/ by port should produce some addresses.

For instance, on St. Croix, http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/USVirginIslands/Christiansted shows laundry available.

To me, searching for a laundry facility in a new place could be part of the adventure! On the other hand, the sink in my cabin works pretty well.

Archived