When looking at deck plans

Spara

There are more than 6-8 options ;)

There are 6-8 options just in the INSIDE categories. :)

Look at it as property and location. Some property is more prime than others (as determined by RCCL).

So there is a color for Cat Q - deck 2 - insides that are located at the far ends of the ship in each direction.

Then there will be another color for the next category up that might be slightly more mid ship.

And then when you go up a deck, another category higher.

So first you decide what overall category you want "Inside", "Outside", Balcony or Suite.

Then within those categories you need to figure out what deck you want. Do you want mid ship? All of those will be a different category and a different COLOR on the deck plans. :D

What is the deal with all the different colors? I thought there were just the 6 or 8 room options, if there are then why so many colors? Help me figure it out![/quote

The different colors denote different cabin category's. There can be a "D" category for example (dark purple) on the deck plans, and then listed underneath are the sub categories such as D1 and D2 cabins....

Different color for each category. Probably meant to help rather than confuse?

What is the deal with all the different colors? I thought there were just the 6 or 8 room options, if there are then why so many colors? Help me figure it out!

The colors show the different category of cabin in the obvious types such as interior, ocean-view and balcony. Suites are color coded also.

As far as the basic cabins, there are some subtle differences that most of the time I cant figure out what they are, so if the price is right, I'm in.

Do a dummy reservation and you will understand more when you come to cabin choice.

btw....you have come to the right place for info...couple years ago I came here and received answers to questions I hadn't even thought of!

Ok, so besides the obvious, what are the rooms that people want more. Like I want a ocean balcony, I read more people want the back cabins, why is this exactly. And is it better to be up higher?

Many people like aft staterooms which often have larger balconies but are frequently a good distance from the elevators and stairwells Others prefer staterooms that are located midship and, on Radiance class ships, rooms that are on the hump . Those rooms sometimes have larger balconies and are close to the Centrum with its stairs and elevators. If you are concerned about motion sickness you probably want to be midship on one of the lowest decks. If it is not a concern, the higher decks are closer to the pool, Windjammer and some of the more active areas of the ship. Different people have different preferences. You need to determine which things are most important to you and then your choices may become more clear. The multi-colored deck plans will help you locate which staterooms meet your requirements.:) My only complaint about the deckplans is that the print is so small that it is difficult to read the stateroom numbers.:rolleyes:

Ok, so besides the obvious, what are the rooms that people want more. Like I want a ocean balcony, I read more people want the back cabins, why is this exactly. And is it better to be up higher?

While alot of people may want an aft cabin since they get the expansive view from their balcony and watching the wake alot others prefer to be midship do to the convience of being centrally located and closer to the elevators

Higher the deck normally the cabin costs more

But also keep in mind the more forward or higher you are on a ship the more ship movement you will feel

and since i type slow what the poster said above me

Spara, I'm not sure what ship your looking at, but since your looking at a balcony here goes. There are different catagories in the balconies because of location. For the most part the balconies on the upper floors towards the center of the ship will be the most expensive. The balconies on the lower decks forward will be the cheapest. This is not a hard a fast rule, as some cabins can be more expensive, like aft. Hope this helps.

Rollie

I know this has gone into Balcony cabin talk, but I can only afford the insides so I have spent a lot of time trying to figure the price differences between them. Our first two cruises were on Voyager class ships, this next one will be on the Freedom. Our first two we had Category M which is Deck 9 where the Promenade state rooms are (no window though as it is above the ceiling). This sailing we will be in Category L which is considered one step up. We are on deck 10 which is why it is a step up (same promenade stateroom location). But what I noticed is that almost all of the connecting staterooms have at least one Category L and all the staterooms with the pullmans were also Category L. This way they could charge more for these rooms if your situation demanded those circumstances.

Again, ignoring the balcony issue, inside cabins and OV cabins tend to go up in price as you go up in decks. I understand the convenience factor of being closer to the pool. However, we typically book on Deck 2 or Deck 3 to save the money. We have to take the elevator up to the pool and Windjammer - we've tried the stairs in younger days, but we've given up on that overly ambitious plan now - but we can walk up to the dining room, the Promenade, customer service level etc. And it's so much quieter down low in the ship.

I was up higher once when I booked a guarantee room and ended up on Deck 9. I honestly didn't think it was a benefit worth paying for.

Archived