seasick while whalewatching?

DanielBu

Hi Daniel,

We were just in Dominica on Dec 16th and we used Island Style Fishing to do our tour and not the ship tour as they are very crowded. The water was pretty calm and nobody in our group even came close to getting sick.

I would like to recommend using these guys as a tour to see whales. They were cheaper than the ship and way less people. Check out the website. We had a group of 6 people and had the boat to ourselves. We saw spotted dolphins and 6 whales. Capt Jerry was great and knew where the whales would be. Very cool tour !!

If you think you might be sea sick try taking a ginger pill BEFORE heading out. The ginger actually worked wonders during a particularly nasty squall our ship encountered a few years back. Of course, if you are already nauseous, you might need medication to avoid any unpleasantness.

The boats are usually large catamarans, with resstroom. I've done a couple of whale-watching trips at Dominica and haven't seen anyone get seasick. The Caribbean's usually so calm. Have a fabulous time and don't forget your camera! Binoculars are great for the whales, too, if you have some, as by international law boats are not allowed to get close.

We are a party of 11 and know that there are four other people going too. Will the boat be big enough?

if you using the ship tour, it will be plenty big enough, but of you chose Island Style Im sure you will all fit but I wouldnt take any more. E-mail them and ask. You wont regret using them over the ships tour.

If you have any doubts about being sea sick please take a Bonine the evening before. There is nothing worse than being seasick on a small boat and having to endure because they will not stop the tour for everyone else because you are seasick. Ugh! Better to be safe than sorry!

If you are prone to motion sickness of any kind, take something before going on the whale watching tour with Island Style Fishing. It's an excellent tour and the highlight of our trip considering we were there on a very lucky day and saw over 30 whales (NO EXAGGERATION) swimming, diving, rolling & breaching for about an hr. & a half straight. But sadly 2 of the 7 people on our tour ended up getting very sea sick and heaving over the side of the boat. The tour was not the same for them as it was for those of us who didn't get sea sick. I will say that the 2 that did get sick both stayed in the bottom half of the boat while the other 5 joined Captain Jerry at the top. I would definitely go to the top every time after observing this. It's a better view from up there anyway. And I would definitely recommend this tour. Just come prepared and don't let it be ruined by getting sea sick. The seas were very choppy the day we were there. And you can't predict more than a few days out whether or not it's likely to be the case. So come prepared just in case. And I hope others get to see lots of whales like we did as it's something we'll never, ever forget.

Archived