Belize on our own

LaurieCM

We've been here before- always gone on a tour. The 1st week I am going snorkling by myself (my husband doesn't want to go this trip) but for the 2nd week we haven't scheduled an excursion. We will have other beach opportunities both weeks. We have never been tendered in by NCL in Belize- is it in a bad area? Can you walk anywhere from there?

We've been here before- always gone on a tour. The 1st week I am going snorkling by myself (my husband doesn't want to go this trip) but for the 2nd week we haven't scheduled an excursion. We will have other beach opportunities both weeks. We have never been tendered in by NCL in Belize- is it in a bad area? Can you walk anywhere from there?

I personally do not care for the area outside the port gates. There are plenty of vendors selling crafts, but otherwise not much to see. This is a port where I prefer to have a plan. The scenic areas are not near the dock.

DO NOT attempt to walk outside of the port area by yourself unless you want to be accosted and badgered by some VERY aggressive and intimidating people trying to get you to take a tour with them.

We thought we'd do that a couple of weeks ago and literally got no further outside the gates than half a block before we turned around and got right back on the tender to the ship.

Have been to Belize twice, not sure if I'd be back again, but last time we did a tour on our own. Hopped in a taxi and went to the Belikan Brewery, watching scenery on the way. I don't drink beer, but the rest of my group loved it. It was neat seeing something different for me.

We grabbed a cab at the pier. We knew where we wanted to go and had arranged with the driver before we left. The gaurd at the gate made us give our names and cabin numbers, as well as, the drivers name and cab number to insure we returned. We had a great time and were back in plenty of time. He gave us a great tour at Altun Ha and took us to a great few places to shop

Just back yeaterday from a cruise that included Belize. There is a dive shop now right in the Tourist Village that offers snorlking trips. We did a land tour and spoke with one of the Dive Masters in training who was extremely friendly. Hopefully I can offer contact info after we unpack and find their card! :rolleyes:

Archived