Virgin Gorda On Your Own

teacher_md

Hi Everyone,

Going to Tortola in March and I've heard how the baths are a must see. I don't know too much about the baths, but I do know that it's on a different island. Is this the kind of excursion that you can do on your own by using ferries? Or is it just better to pay the extra dough to the cruise company's excursion (Celebrity in this case) and just be sure you'll make it on the ship.

Any help would be great! Thanks, AJ

We just went to the Baths earlier this month. We booked our shore excursion through RCCL and I'm glad we did. We were almost late coming back and it was great not to worry about it. We had a spectacular time, best shore excursion of the whole cruise. We saw all kinds of wildlife including a sting ray, beautiful scenery. It was great not having to worry about the ferry schedule and just go. A word of warning this shore excursion sells out fast book on-line.;)

Just got back last week from our cruise on NCL Pearl. This was our second time going to the Baths on our own. We were in port both times from 7 am to 3 pm..having to be back on the ship at 2:30. Too short a time in port for me!!

Anyway....we docked in Tortola. I don't know if you are docking or will tender in.

When you get off the ship, walk down the sidewalk from the pier and go left for about a 10 minute walk to the ferries. It is a red roof building (you can see from the ship as it comes into port). We used Speedy's ferry service. There are several there to use, but Speedy's has proved to be very reliable both times for us. The first ferry leaves at 9 am. The cost is $38 pp, which is round trip and includes the taxi to and from the Baths (half the cost of ship excursion). The cost to get into the Baths is $3 pp.

We had to come back on the 12:30 ferry due to time ship was leaving. This is where I wished we had longer in port...the Baths are awesome and you want more time there. We had good time there...just so pretty and fun that you don't want to leave so soon!!

You need to be back up top for the taxi by 11:50...the taxi leaves at 12:00 for the ferry (approx. 10 minute drive). There will be more than one taxi, but they fill up fast! Again...I don't know the time your ship is in port...adjust accordingly to your's and Speedy's schedule. The taxis are actually open air trucks with about five to six rows of seats (six people to a seat).

The ride on the ferry took 30 minutes. We still had time to do some shopping for an hour before getting back on the ship.

So...in my opinion...YES....you can do the Baths on your own!! Save that money!!

http://www.speedysbvi.com/ This is Speedy's Ferry website for more information.

The island the Baths are on is Virgin Gorda.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

This is an awesome website for all things caribbean!! Scroll down to Tortola...they have put a map on here for the walk from the ship to the ferry.

I used this on our first cruise last year to this area....was a great help...tons of information for doing on your own.

Hope all this helps you!! Enjoy your cruise!!

Archived