Back to the Class System

jebl

I hate to sound like a whiny complainer, but I have to agree. I'm fine with the concierge lounge. Allowing suite guests or diamond plus loyal passengers access to a special lounge doesn't impact my vacation. I'm fine that they get special treats in their cabin. My issue is when these perks begin to infringe on the rights of less affluent passengers who just want to use PUBLIC areas of the ship. I've never had trouble finding a seat to a show, nor do I really care to be in the front row. I don't really care if a few people get to get on an earlier tender, I'll still be able to catch the next one. But we all know how difficult it is to find a chair near the pool. To rope off big sections for suite guests - sections which end up going unused most of the time - while we circle the deck over and over again, trying to find a place to sit - to me, that's just rubbing our noses in it. It's not just setting aside prime real estate for first class passengers, it's quite possibly making it unfeasible for us coach class folks to find a seat at all!! It's like an airline taking away my seat and denying me boarding so that a first class passenger can have more space. It's one thing to give them perks for paying extra. It's another to deny the rest of us use of public areas we paid for.

It's a nasty rotten world out there, with people who do all kinds of terrible, awful things, and sneaking into the Diamond lounge is not something on my top 1000.

I know I am due for feedback and I am willing to endure it. Would that we were all perfect, living in a perfect world. That would be a dream, truly.

My feedback is that I'm in agreement with you. There are a lot of worse things out there other than sneaking into the Diamond lounge, bringing booze on board a cruise ship, wearing shorts in the MDR, etc, etc.

And for what it's worth, I could care less about going into the Diamond lounge and I'm close to Diamond +. As always, you get what you pay for.

It's not just setting aside prime real estate for first class passengers, it's quite possibly making it unfeasible for us coach class folks to find a seat at all!! It's like an airline taking away my seat and denying me boarding so that a first class passenger can have more space. It's one thing to give them perks for paying extra. It's another to deny the rest of us use of public areas we paid for.
It's Royal Caribbean's ship, public areas are what they determine are public areas. Maybe you should just consider that part of the ship to not be a public area just like the CL is not a public area.

When did "some" become "every"? That seems to be what you are implying. You shouldn't tar every D and D+ with the same brush unless you want to expose your own prejudices. All most people are saying is that things have changed on RCI and other lines and not everyone is thrilled with the changes which have taken place in the past few years.:rolleyes:

I said some. You're not getting my point. I'm only seeing things through the eyes of someone who is not D and does not only sail in a suite.

FireIce made a valid point.

I think RCCL made a huge mistake with the tiers and cruise credit goal. They have created something that is out of control and a much larger adjustment to the rewards will be coming I would think.

D Lounges are jammed. CL is standing room only mostly.

MDR is getting roped off for d's. Venues are being closed that are generally open to the public, now closed for d events.

I'm not begrudging d memebrs. Just syaing that you have to look at this entire suite ammenities from another point of view.

Again-remember the talk about a d event that was held in a venue where an activity was listed on the compass for the GP and they were turned away? It's a mess on both ends and things will change I think.

I'm sorry if you are taking my post in a bad way NegC. This is why typing on a computer can loose the actual meaning. Face to face conversations and voice tone really are a much better way to have a conversation like this so nothing can be taken the wrong way.:o

As for the Amybeth situation. I think some are missing the forest through the trees. If every person came to event that was qualified to-most times the venue would be jammed. that's the real problem.

From a personal point of view. When I make D. I'd much rather have a larger cruise discount then go to an overcrowded event serving a limited selection of complimentary beverages. Heck-give me some OBC so I could find a drink I like at any bar and I'd be thrilled. But that's just me!!;)

It's like an airline taking away my seat and denying me boarding so that a first class passenger can have more space.

Guess what? When I held the top status with American Airlines, one of the perks included the option to a guaranteed seat, purchased at the last minute, even on a sold out flight, so technically, as long as I was willing to pay full fare, I was able to bump some poor economy seat soul out, and thus the passenger would be denied boarding. I never used that option but it's listed in the Executive Platinum book which you get with the card every year and on their website.

Executive Platinums are their best customers. It takes 100K flying miles a year to qualify. They took great care of us. It was the same for First class passengers. Royal Caribbean is doing the same thing. It's a great marketing program. It works for airlines and hotels so I can't see it not working for cruise lines.

Oh I give up. Next time I write a full review, I'll make sure to edit out the evil parts.

Now go sneak your alcohol onboard and go take a balcony cabin away from someone who wants to purchase one at the last minute but can't because the upgrade fairy visited you and you accepted something you didn't pay for.

Siiiigh.

Guess what? When I held the top status with American Airlines, one of the perks included the option to a guaranteed seat, purchased at the last minute, even on a sold out flight, so technically, as long as I was willing to pay full fare, I was able to bump some poor economy seat soul out, and thus the passenger would be denied boarding. I never used that option but it's listed in the Executive Platinum book which you get with the card every year and on their website.

Executive Platinums are their best customers. It takes 100K flying miles a year to qualify. They took great care of us. It was the same for First class passengers. Royal Caribbean is doing the same thing. It's a great marketing program. It works for airlines and hotels so I can't see it not working for cruise lines.

And what's the going rate for IDB compensation at American Airlines? I doubt the people on the ship would be complaining too much if they got compensation every time they got "bumped".

And what's the going rate for IDB compensation at American Airlines? I doubt the people on the ship would be complaining too much if they got compensation every time they got "bumped".

Nobody will be denied boarding on a cruise ship as long as you're paid up and have the right docs and have no problems with TSA, but that wasn't my point. I was just replying to printingchick's assertion that losing a seat on an airline doesn't happen just because somebody has status or paid more money for a ticket. It does.

Does letting someone use your CL pass really hurt anyone else? I'm pretty sure that if any of us were offered the chance to go in there, we'd jump at it. I know I would! If RC isn't enforcing it, then that's their fault..

Here's where I have a problem.

What is implied here is that as long as no one is looking it's OK to break the rules.... When does personal integrity apply?

Does it hurt anybody? No...probably not. Would I use someone elses perk? No, I wouldn't. Would I give someone my pass to use? No, I wouldn't.

On the other hand, I don't smuggle booze onboard when it is clearly prohibited, don't share "soda cards" either.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters..."

I don't think anyone begrudges those who pay more get more and special consideration, what is new to those of us who have cruised over the last ten years is that it is now more "in your face" than ever before.

People of means always had special perks, it was just more subtle. Once all the passengers got the "run of the ship" regardless of cabin class now areas are being pulled back and roped off and that's what is irritating to some.

Hey, they need the big bucks these folks pay....and will probably do whatever is necessary to get them to pony up for these suites....

RCCL has huge bills to pay, after all...

Nobody will be denied boarding on a cruise ship as long as you're paid up and have the right docs and have no problems with TSA, but that wasn't my point. I was just replying to printingchick's assertion that losing a seat on an airline doesn't happen just because somebody has status or paid more money for a ticket. It does.
And my point was that if RCI compensated people whenever their were no loungers available, like airlines do for oversold flights, there would probably be a lot less complaining about the section roped off for suite guests. "I'm sorry, sir, that there are no loungers available, here's a voucher for $50 of OBC to make up for it".

Anyway, back to your point, since airlines routinely overbook, it's kind of hard to say whether it was you that got someone bumped. It's not like you can walk up to a flight that's checked in full and have someone bumped.

Here's where I have a problem.

What is implied here is that as long as no one is looking it's OK to break the rules.... Some are worth breaking when someone is looking.

When does personal integrity apply? The same would apply to conscience' date=' it varies. [/color']

Does it hurt anybody? No...probably not. Would I use someone elses perk?

Absolutely, depends on what. I accepted coupons from others on my last cruise

No, I wouldn't. Would I give someone my pass to use? Yes, I gave coupons from my TA to others so they could benefit from something I wasn't going to use.

No, I wouldn't.

On the other hand, I don't smuggle booze onboard when it is clearly prohibited, don't share "soda cards" either. HAHAHAHAAHAHA:p

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters..." Some people are just better in words and deeds. Their words are always inspiring and uplifting. Their dees always upstanding. I salute them!

"Rules are guidelines for the wise and blind observance of fools"

Breaking rules has landed many into greatest (Nelson Mandela, Rosa Parks), some in jails (Martha Stewart) and a few in the concierge lounge. Only the righteous among us stand in judgment. For justice in the real world, not only have the brave broken rules, they have given their lives in the process. I know this is cruise world where the righteous reins:rolleyes:

Anyway, back to your point, since airlines routinely overbook, it's kind of hard to say whether it was you that got someone bumped. It's not like you can walk up to a flight that's checked in full and have someone bumped.

Andrzej5914 is correct... you can walk up to ticket counter and bump someone off a flight that's booked full and checked in full. It just depends on your status with the airline. I know I've done it and am sure Andrzej5914 has as well.

All companies need to take care of the best and highest revenue customers.

And my point was that if RCI compensated people whenever their were no loungers available, like airlines do for oversold flights, there would probably be a lot less complaining about the section roped off for suite guests. "I'm sorry, sir, that there are no loungers available, here's a voucher for $50 of OBC to make up for it".

We will have to agree to disagree. During busy airport days, I saw many passengers not able to find a seat in the general airport areas, yet I was able to walk into a nice, quiet lounge and have a couch waiting for me plus free food and drinks.

Tell me, what's the difference?

Wait ... so Nelson Mandela got bumped out of a suite because a Diamond+ passenger let him borrow a Concierge Lounge card and had to give away his coupons? Or is it that my coach-class ticket got cancelled because amybeth flagrantly used her first-class status to bump me off of my flight and I missed my cruise and had to give up all of the booze that I was going to smuggle onboard while sneaking into the cabanas on Labadee?

I am just so confused! :D

Also, I really want to be on a cruise with amybeth and kooljamming. We'd have the ship under control in no time.

This reminds me of the movie "Titanic", where the poor and steerage were blocked from mixing with the real Cruisers.. I pay less than most, but am not expecting a lot of special favors. I was not pleased by the vacant chairs besides stairs above the pool on the VOS. Especially when everyone out here just wanted to lay in the sun and maybe watch a few antics around the pool? JY.

We will have to agree to disagree. During busy airport days, I saw many passengers not able to find a seat in the general airport areas, yet I was able to walk into a nice, quiet lounge and have a couch waiting for me plus free food and drinks.

Tell me, what's the difference?

The difference is that the airline lounge you are walking into was never available to all airport customers. The lounge chairs on the pooldeck were for all passengers on the ship until the rope off thing for suits started.

I'm sure its been said many times, Suite Passengers make it so "regular" passengers don't have to pay as much. Everyone wins. If you want special treatment, then pay for it. If you don't need those things, then be happy they footed a 50-75-150% larger bill for being on the same ship and making your cost much lower. Basic economics.

The difference is that the airline lounge you are walking into was never available to all airport customers. The lounge chairs on the pooldeck were for all passengers on the ship until the rope off thing for suits started.

Thank you for getting it! :)

Wait ... so Nelson Mandela got bumped out of a suite because a Diamond+ passenger let him borrow a Concierge Lounge card and had to give away his coupons? Or is it that my coach-class ticket got cancelled because amybeth flagrantly used her first-class status to bump me off of my flight and I missed my cruise and had to give up all of the booze that I was going to smuggle onboard while sneaking into the cabanas on Labadee?

I am just so confused! :D

Also, I really want to be on a cruise with amybeth and kooljamming. We'd have the ship under control in no time.

LMAO!

Five minutes on board and I could be offered honorary Diamond+ Status.

Simply explain to them that I am considering being loyal to Royal but would like to try out the perks before committing to forsake the decks of all other lines and stay faithful and true.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, so why can't RCCL. I know to some, they are the Highest authority.

I'm sure its been said many times, Suite Passengers make it so "regular" passengers don't have to pay as much. Everyone wins. If you want special treatment, then pay for it. If you don't need those things, then be happy they footed a 50-75-150% larger bill for being on the same ship and making your cost much lower. Basic economics.

Okay, if you really believe this, and the ropes are there why? :eek: JY.

I hear ya! The three of us (thanks for being a degenerate like me, kooljamming) would create such chaos! Mmwwwhahaha.

Not saying there aren't people out there worthy enough to judge me.

From reading some of the other posts from other threads, I know many aren't on CC;) I can always give them something for them to feel righteous about.

Back to regular programming- you pay more you deserve more. At certain resorts a part of the beach is roped off, nothing new. They also get first choice at the specialty restaurants! Cruises are becoming nothing more than resorts at sea.

Yes, but if the lounge area was not there, (as in roped off area on the cruise ship), there would be more room for seats for everybody else...;)

Archived