Malaria outbreak in Belize????

jkjmt

Okay....this is the fourth time we've been to Belize and the second time to Honduras....but the first time my doctor said we should take Malaria medicine because there is a terrible outbreak in Belize and Honduras....especially Roataan.

We always use bug spray and have never had any problems. Has anyone else been told to take medicine????

We leave January 3, 2010.

Here is the latest info from the CDC and a link to their webpage:

Areas of Belize with Malaria: All areas, except in Belize City.

If you will be visiting an area of Belize with malaria, you will need to discuss with your doctor the best ways for you to avoid getting sick with malaria. Ways to prevent malaria include the following:

• Taking a prescription antimalarial drug
  • Using insect repellent and wearing long pants and sleeves to prevent mosquito bites
  • Sleeping in air-conditioned or well-screened rooms or using bednets

Primaquine is the preferred antimalarial drug (only after G6PD testing) in Belize. Atovaquone/proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, and mefloquine are alternative choices. For information that can help you and your doctor decide which of these drugs would be best for you, please see Drugs to Prevent Malaria.

To find out more information on malaria throughout the world, you can use the interactive CDC malaria map. You can search or browse countries, cities, and place names for more specific malaria risk information and the recommended prevention medicines for that area.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/belize.aspx

We leave this week and are not taking the medication, but will be sensible about precautions as noted above.

Lots of things to worry about. But I don't think this is a panic one.

Have fun on your cruise. We leave Sunday!

We've always been advised to do anti-malarial prophylaxis in Central America and certain parts of Mexico. Having been fortunate in the past is probably not a good basis for determining if you'll be lucky going forward. I would suggest a second medical opinion if you're concerned about the effects of your first doctor's advice.

I don't really need a second opinion.....you're probably right.....just because I've been lucky in the past isn't an indication of the future.

Also....we are there on a cruise......one day in each port....so I figured bug spray (with deet) would and has been sufficient.

I don't really need a second opinion.....you're probably right.....just because I've been lucky in the past isn't an indication of the future.

Also....we are there on a cruise......one day in each port....so I figured bug spray (with deet) would and has been sufficient.

As I understand the situation, many times there's less risk for passengers traveling aboard a cruise ship because (1) more frequently the passengers visit urban areas where mosquitoes are not as prevalent, and (2) passengers are back on board before dusk when the most serious risk exists. But if you're going out to areas where there are mosquitoes, the insects will not know the difference between people traveling on a cruise ship vs. people who had travel overland or by air . . . the probability of them biting will be the same for all.

The insect repellent does reduce risk . . . but even with the anti-malarial prophylaxis I've always used repellent as well. DEET has some issues (e.g., damage to plastics and uncomfortable feel) so I've used Picaridin-based repellent with success; for clothing I spray with permethrin.

Picaridin has only been available in the United States for a few years, and only last year was it approved at higher concentrations. See http://www.picaridin.com.

The original brand was Cutter, and this brand remains available. There are two Cutter products. One is "Cutter Advanced," a pump bottle with 7 percent picaridin. See http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/RepellentProducts/Cutter+Advanced. The other is "Cutter Advanced Sport," an aerosol with 15 percent picaridin. See http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/RepellentProducts/AdvancedSport. I prefer the greater control of a pump spray, but while the 7 percent solution might be OK in the backyard one might prefer a 15 percent solution when in the tropics with more aggressive insects. It had been that there was a 15 percent solution pump--also using the name "Cutter Advanced Sport--that was sold exclusively at REI Co-op, but that product now appears to be discontinued.

Another brand is Sawyer. The "Premium Insect Repellent" comes in a pump bottle of two different sizes, but both at 20 percent solution. The company does not show the product on its website, but it is available at REI Co-op. See http://www.rei.com/product/785883 and http://www.rei.com/product/785878. It would appear as though REI made the decision to replace its Cutter Advanced Sport pump bottle with the Sawyer pump bottle, perhaps because of the higher concentration Sawyer is providing.

Finally, there is the Natrapel brand. There are two products here. One is a 20 percent pump bottle. The other is 20 percent wipes. See http://www.tendercorp.com/products.php?cat=59. I have no direct experience with this brand--so I can't give a thumbs up or thumbs down--but to the extent that some people like wipes this might be a good product to try.

One more note and returning to Swayer: there is one more useful product with this brand. This is permethrin, an inset repellent used on clothing. By treating your clothing with this chemical you'll keep the insects away more effectively than with just the personal insect repellent. Do not use permethrin on your skin. See http://www.sawyerproducts.com/permethrin.htm.

The websites indicate where you can buy these products. I made my purchases from REI Co-op through its mail order service. You should also be able to make purchases from other outdoor and backpacking stores, such as EMS or Campmor.

• 1 month later...
I am cruising Feb 14th and am concerned about the malaria outside of the city. I am traveling with my 84 year old mother and my son of 16. We are all bug magnets. Any advise would be appreciated.

I see you are from NJ. We normally go to the travel clinic at Newark Airport to see if we need any type prophylactics. The only time we have ever needed any malaria prophylactics was when we were traveling to Zambia (central Africa) where they really have a MAJOR malaria problem.

The reason why we go to the travel clinic at the airport is because the doctors there treat and advise flight crews who travel all over the world. They have the latest info regarding potential health threats in areas around the world.

We did not take any prophylactics when we were in Belize.

This topic comes up over and over. You might want to read this:

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/Malaria.html

and here is the important thing to remember if you are in Belize only during the daytime (int bold and underlined):

How can malaria be prevented?

No vaccine against malaria is available. Travelers can protect themselves by using anti-mosquito measures and by taking drugs to prevent malaria.

1.Avoid mosquito bites -- Avoiding the bites of Anopheles mosquitoes is the best way to prevent infection. Because Anopheles mosquitoes feed at night, malaria transmission happens mainly between dusk and dawn. Travelers should take steps to reduce contact with mosquitoes both when outdoors and inside, especially during these hours.

So, if you want to take a pills for 7 weeks because you spent 8 daylight hours in Belize that is your business, but the risk of malaria in the daytime is almost nothing. If you decide to not get back on the ship and spend the night in the jungle instead, then I'd probably take malaria medication.

I am cruising Feb 14th and am concerned about the malaria outside of the city. I am traveling with my 84 year old mother and my son of 16. We are all bug magnets. Any advise would be appreciated.

I would certainly take the easy precautions. That is, use an effective insect repellent, and wear long-sleeved shirts, pants, and hats so as to minimize exposed skin. For repellent, use either DEET (30 percent) or picaridin (15 percent) on your skin; to further minimize insects spray your clothing with permethrin. I've found comfortable light-weight long-sleeve shirts at Orvis.

As pointed out elsewhere, the greatest risk for malaria is at twilight. However, that doesn't mean that there's no risk at other times. A health professional would likely be able to help you balance the risk for your particular circumstances. I've been satisfied with the advice received from Passport Travel. I've taken the anti-malarial pills, and while I detest doing so (I can't swallow them so I taste them as the crushed pills go down!), it is a minor inconvenience compared to the possible alternative.

Archived