Best One Day Itinerary???

kawillia

My family is planning a day trip while at port in Antigua. I've been there before but only did Eli's Eco-Tour which was fabulous...no visit to the land other than bird island and devil's bridge. This will be a first visit for the rest of the family - accompanied by my dad and bro this time around! Here's what we were thinking we want to do:

- At 9am, hire a taxi (for a flat rate) at St John and drive down the coast possibly stopping at Darkwood beach for 30 min and then continuing on to Nelson's Dockyard/Shirley Heights via Fig Tree Drive

- Spend one hour milling around the dockyard and shirley heights then head to Half Moon bay for 2 hours or so and have drinks/burgers at Smilin Harry's bar.

- On our way back to St. John stop at Devil's bridge and return to the ship by 3:30pm.

My big question, not know how long it takes to drive from point to point, is whether this is all doable? What should we weed out if we needed to? Should we do the itinerary in reverse?

Lastly, is Half Moon Bay and Smilin Harry's as good as everyone says they are? I'm not one for crowded and touristy beaches and can go without some amenities for a few hours :)

Thanks!

Half Moon beach is lovely and when we've been there, not crowded. Smilin' Harry's is also worth the trip. Try his Caribbean barbeque or hamburger and pour your own rum and coke for a true island lunch. Another great beach is Galleon Beach near Nelson's Dock Yard. Their lunch is more expensive but worth it.

Archived