NCL Gem 12/12/09

RONO

CDC stated the 12/19/2009 sailing was the THIRD sailing in a row of the GEM that they are investigating - each have had exceeded levels of illness (passengers and crew)

If you were on this cruise, got sick and didn't report it - it's not too late…This was the case for quite a few passengers. Seems that people were more concerned about being quarantined to their cabins and ruining everyone else’s good times.

ADJO..

The CDC Vessel Sanitation Program at http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm doesnt list any such incident since Norwegian Cruise LineNorwegian Spirit10/23 - 11/08NorovirusWhere specifically can one find and confirm your allegation that "..CDC stated the 12/19/2009 sailing was the THIRD sailing in a row of the GEM that they are investigating - each have had exceeded levels of illness (passengers and crew).."

The New York City Health Department (212-788-9830) received enough calls to raise the issue to the CDC, this ship may have had some issues that go back one or two voyages. So, call if you were sick or just got sick after debarkation.

?????:confused:

We were on the 12/12/2009 Gem sailing and when I saw special procedure taking place at the buffet I asked one of the officers about it. He told me that they were getting only a few cases a day on a ship with 2,700 passengers but were taking precautions to control its spread.

One morning at the buffet a woman, who was sitting at table filled with other passengers, announced at the end of her meal that she was getting food to bring back to her cabin because her husband had been sick for a few days. When I asked if he saw the ship's doctor, she said that he doesn't want to. This is the type of situation that creates problems at sea, and no matter what precautions the cruise line takes they can't do much to control the damage caused by inconsiderate passengers.

CDC stated the 12/19/2009 sailing was the THIRD sailing in a row of the GEM that they are investigating - each have had exceeded levels of illness (passengers and crew)

If you were on this cruise, got sick and didn't report it - it's not too late…This was the case for quite a few passengers. Seems that people were more concerned about being quarantined to their cabins and ruining everyone else’s good times.

The New York City Health Department (212-788-9830) received enough calls to raise the issue to the CDC, this ship may have had some issues that go back one or two voyages. So, call if you were sick or just got sick after debarkation.

I called this number regarding my son and boyfriend getting Noro on our 12/12 Gem cruise. They said I needed to call Quarantine at 718-553-1685. I called this number and they will be emailing me a form to fill out.

One morning at the buffet a woman, who was sitting at table filled with other passengers, announced at the end of her meal that she was getting food to bring back to her cabin because her husband had been sick for a few days. When I asked if he saw the ship's doctor, she said that he doesn't want to. This is the type of situation that creates problems at sea, and no matter what precautions the cruise line takes they can't do much to control the damage caused by inconsiderate passengers.

Right. And the cruise line also "can't do much to control the damage" caused by people who come here to blame their sickness on the ship and the crew.

RONO: We were on the 12-19 Dec. cruise. This was my 12th and my 14 yr old grandchild's fourth cruise. We are meticulous about using hand sanitizer and both of us had our regular and H1N1 flu shots before we cruised. Unfortunately, we had to have a medical call on Wednesday early morning and she was diagnosed with norvovirus. The nurse apologized to us that a passenger had brought the disease on board and that he wasn't proud to admit that that was the cause of Sara's illness. She was quaranteened for the remainder of the cruise. I stayed with her as she was so weak that I was afraid fo leave her alone even for a short period to get meals. We literally lost over 42% of our cruise because of this.

This was bad enough, but we found a number of other serious deficiencies with this cruise: a wait of 2 1/2 hours for a wheelchair to Board the ship for me - which never came; No ice in room; room not cleaned until late the first evening; left hand luggage in our room and came back to find one of the beds had bedding pulled back as tho slept in; no faceclothes until requested on second day; bread in dining rooms stale and certainly not warm as expected; eggs ordered on first morning in dining room were so uncooked that the whites and yellows were running all over the plate (ordered over medium) - this surely is unsafe; private island was overcrowded and food was very bad; hamburgers and hotdogs were being swarmed by flies; by and large we had only one or two meals which were acceptable standards in the dining rooms. I could go on but to say something positive, most of the staff were pleasant and trying to cope with a bad situation.

At my TA's encouragement, we plan to send a letter to NCL, tho I am not certain if there will be an appropriate response since they seem to be trying to deny the presence of Norvovirus, etc on the ship for this particular cruise.

and don't expect a timely response either. It seems like NCL makes it very inconvenient to get questions and problems resolved, so people get frustrated and just give up and go away. Don't.

Their customer service is non existent.

There is nothing to be concern about, just make sure you wash your hands frequently and use the sanitizer "bubbles".

They don't just clean the ship in 2 hours, the crew continuously clean it everyday and people who become sick are quarantined (so unless they break the rules and go out of their stateroom they will not be spreading the virus).

When did they deny a problem? The crew made the necessary adjustments in serving and cleaning procedures when some passengers became sick, and passengers on the previous voyage (the T/A) told their first-hand stories that it was indeed rough seas and there was no "outbreak".

Relax and enjoy your trip. If you really are that concern about these type of virus you shouldn't be cruising (or flying) as they are very common in confine spaces.

Tables are not santized between people finishing meals and new ones sitting down. Elevator buttons were disgusting and smeared - the mirrors just accentuated this.

Good luck and wishing you healthy travels.

its worse than an unsubstantiated claim it may be a lie.

I emailed the CDC this is their reply. there is no report on the Gem at the site listed.

RE: NCL Gem

Wed, December 30, 2009 1:18:12 PMFrom:CDC-INFO <CDCINFO@cdc.gov>

Add to ContactsTo:

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO. In response to your request for information on outbreak investigations, we are pleased to provide you with the following information.

CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) website provides information about gastrointestinal (stomach) (GI) illness outbreaks on cruise ships. From that website, you can search for the ship to see a report of CDC's findings:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

For more information about outbreak investigations, please visit the CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/desc/about_investigations.htm

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO Contact Center. Please do not hesitate to call 1-800-CDC-INFO, e-mail cdcinfo@cdc.gov or visit http://www.cdc.gov if you have any additional questions.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). This service is provided by Vangent, Inc. under contract to CDC and ATSDR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please visit CDC-INFOs Customer Satisfaction Survey and tell us about your recent experience with CDC-INFO. The survey results will help improve our services. The address for the survey is http://www.emtservices.org/cdcinfo/en/email_satisfaction_survey.htm. Thank you.

L3GZ-4983/ea

[THREAD ID:1-1N7W2F] [sR No.:1-99466586]

Tables are not santized between people finishing meals and new ones sitting down. Elevator buttons were disgusting and smeared - the mirrors just accentuated this.

Good luck and wishing you healthy travels.

Do they not change table cloths and use new silverwares? How do you want them to sanitize a table?

I've seen crew clean the elevator buttons and railings personally. Mirrors I've never seen them so dirty than I think about it. Why are you touching mirrors to begin with?

and don't expect a timely response either. It seems like NCL makes it very inconvenient to get questions and problems resolved, so people get frustrated and just give up and go away. Don't.

Their customer service is non existent.

The only response that would please you is if they park the ship, ridiculous.

Why are you still here, you make baseless claims and won't answer and provide any information when asked. You said it's pointless to discuss anything with people on an internet site; again, why are you here?

Your sanity is non-existent. :rolleyes:

The only response that would please you is if they park the ship, ridiculous.

Why are you still here, you make baseless claims and won't answer and provide any information when asked. You said it's pointless to discuss anything with people on an internet site; again, why are you here?

Your sanity is non-existent. :rolleyes:

How about stopping the name calling? I have not been disrespectful to anyone here, including you.

Too bad if you don't like that I had a terrible cruise. Don't think I"ve explained enough to you? Too bad - I've explained to the people who matter in my circumstance, not an internet bully.

Do they not change table cloths and use new silverwares? How do you want them to sanitize a table?

I've seen crew clean the elevator buttons and railings personally. Mirrors I've never seen them so dirty than I think about it. Why are you touching mirrors to begin with?

but we didn't eat many meals in the dining rooms due to our situation. How about sanitizing the tables at the buffet with the same cleanser (or whatever is appropriate for a table) they spray your hands with. People getting up from a table and others sitting down at unsanitized tables.

Have you been on this ship? The elevator buttons on the outside are set in mirrors. They were filthy. If the ship was in a "red alert", there should be crew members in charge operating elevators (just like the beverage stations) so people's dirty hands are not all over common areas.

its worse than an unsubstantiated claim it may be a lie.

I emailed the CDC this is their reply. there is no report on the Gem at the site listed.

Wed, December 30, 2009 1:18:12 PMFrom:CDC-INFO <CDCINFO@cdc.gov>

Add to ContactsTo:

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO. In response to your request for information on outbreak investigations, we are pleased to provide you with the following information.

CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) website provides information about gastrointestinal (stomach) (GI) illness outbreaks on cruise ships. From that website, you can search for the ship to see a report of CDC's findings:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

For more information about outbreak investigations, please visit the CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/desc/about_investigations.htm

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO Contact Center. Please do not hesitate to call 1-800-CDC-INFO, e-mail cdcinfo@cdc.gov or visit http://www.cdc.gov if you have any additional questions.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). This service is provided by Vangent, Inc. under contract to CDC and ATSDR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please visit CDC-INFOs Customer Satisfaction Survey and tell us about your recent experience with CDC-INFO. The survey results will help improve our services. The address for the survey is http://www.emtservices.org/cdcinfo/en/email_satisfaction_survey.htm. Thank you.

L3GZ-4983/ea

[THREAD ID:1-1N7W2F] [sR No.:1-99466586]

I recieved an additional response

Wed, December 30, 2009 5:13:51 PMFrom:Vessel Sanitation (CDC) <vsp@cdc.gov>

Add to ContactsTo:CDC-INFO <CDC-INFO@cdc.gov>;

Mr. Meyer,

For the past 3 cruises (embarkation dates of 11/29, 12/12, and 12/19)

the Norwegian Gem has reported an elevated numbers of gastrointestinal

illness onboard, but the numbers have not reached the 3% threshold to

meet the definition of an outbreak in the Vessel Sanitation Program

Operations Manual. We have been in contact with the NY Department of

Health and Norwegian Cruise Lines. Please note that the numbers

reported by the vessel only include passengers and crew members that

report to medical during the cruise.

Best regards,

Vessel Sanitation Program

Mr. Meyer,

Best regards,

Thank you, smeyer, for reporting this CDC information, which is consistent with what an NCL officer told me during our 12/12/2009 Gem cruise,

Have you been on this ship? The elevator buttons on the outside are set in mirrors. They were filthy. If the ship was in a "red alert", there should be crew members in charge operating elevators (just like the beverage stations) so people's dirty hands are not all over common areas.

First, you want them to "park" the ship and sanitize it. Now you want elevator operators. How many crew members is that going to tie up. let's see 10 decks, 3 elevator towers, at least 2 operators per floor ( to do it properly there should be 1 per elevator so no passenger can accidently operate the elevator). That is 60 crew members (or 120 if you do it properly) attending to the elevators and this would have to be 24 hrs a day so assume an 8 hour shift that is 180 crew members (or 360 if you do it properly) are tied up attending to the elevators. Now, what about their normal duties, aren't they already working 10+ hour days. :eek:

PE

Mr. Meyer,

Best regards,

No way!!! The CDC must be trying to hide something!!!

:rolleyes:

Mr. Meyer,

Best regards,

Gee I was really believing the Op and NJ Mom until this. They were really making some valid points (heavy sarcasm) until the facts showed up. I guess there is really nothing else to say regarding this matter.

P.S. Did the NJ Mom really want someone to sanitize the entire table after each use and have someone in each elevator 24 hours a day spraying the elevator button after each person pressed the button? WOW!

First' date=' you want them to "park" the ship and sanitize it. Now you want elevator operators. How many crew members is that going to tie up. let's see 10 decks, 3 elevator towers, at least 2 operators per floor ( to do it properly there should be 1 per elevator so no passenger can accidently operate the elevator). That is 60 crew members (or 120 if you do it properly) attending to the elevators and this would have to be 24 hrs a day so assume an 8 hour shift that is 180 crew members (or 360 if you do it properly) are tied up attending to the elevators. Now, what about their normal duties, aren't they already working 10+ hour days. :eek:

PE[/color']

Let's not forget here PE, once the pax get off said elevators they might be going to their cabins. I want at least one crew member station outside every stateroom so passengers won't have to touch the door handles.

Of course I then want a crew showering me, brushing my teeth, and wiping my a*s. Otherwise NCL is totally incompetent at handling noro issues and are definitely hiding things.

Let's not forget here PE, once the pax get off said elevators they might be going to their cabins. I want at least one crew member station outside every stateroom so passengers won't have to touch the door handles.

Of course I then want a crew showering me, brushing my teeth, and wiping my a*s. Otherwise NCL is totally incompetent at handling noro issues and are definitely hiding things.

yes but isn't that the way they treat you on Celebrity?

Archived