Driving to Civitavecchia???

a&n09012

Hi Cathy. I'm glad I was able to help. I have benefitted from Cruise Critic in countless ways and am glad to give something in return. What a great trip you are having. I would love to spend more time in Italy the way you are.

But then again, we love Europe in general, were blown away by Turkey on our cruise last fall, and are planning our big trip to the far East. So many places, so little time!

We ARE having an amazing time. The weather has been better than I expected, but on the chilly side, most days in the mid 40's. Sunday was dreary and rainy and we stayed home most of the day, but yesterday we went to Assisi, Perugia and Cortona, Assisi being the star of those three; and today we drove to La Spezia and took the train to the Cinque Terre--an incredibly blue day and warm in the sun. Unfortunately our favorite haunt, the Blue Marlin in Vernazza, was closed but we had an okay lunch next door. Got into a huge construction jam leaving La Spezia, and then another in Firenze that was both construction and two separate small accidents, so it has been a long day!

We are heading to Rome in about a week and I have been busy emailing hotels to see what kind of great rates I can get this time of year--right now the frontrunner is Hotel Raffaello, at 70 euros/night including breakfast, but I am not done looking yet! Then we have a rented house outside of Bordeaux, then a week or so going to and spending in Paris, then a friend's house on the south coast of the UK, one in Wales, and then we end up with a week at a (distant) relative's home in London--so we have a lot ahead of us!

But the car is working out great, just trying to decide if we should extend it to our time in the UK--I think driving on the other side of the road will be hard enough, let alone in a car not meant to be driven there--but it's a hard deal to pass up!

My thought is to leave the car at long term parking at Fiumicino and take the Leonardo Da Vinci into town--unless someone has a better idea?

Thanks again!

Cathy

We are flying in to Rome, staying one night, and then leaving from Civit at 5 pm the next day. While we are in Rome for all of 24 hours we want to see and do as much as possible. I'm concerned about transportation. What's the best way to get from FCO to "downtown" Rome? Then from Rome to the pier? How long will those trips take and what will they cost?

We are flying in to Rome, staying one night, and then leaving from Civit at 5 pm the next day. While we are in Rome for all of 24 hours we want to see and do as much as possible. I'm concerned about transportation. What's the best way to get from FCO to "downtown" Rome? Then from Rome to the pier? How long will those trips take and what will they cost?

Best way from FCO to Rome is the Leonardo Express train from FCO. FCO to Roma Termini is about 30 minutes. Best and most economical way to Civitavecchia is by train. Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia is 1-1½ hours. Check the train site in my sig line (times and prices).

Best way from FCO to Rome is the Leonardo Express train from FCO. FCO to Roma Termini is about 30 minutes.

This depends on where in Rome you are staying. Termini can be "overkill", as in going too far only to backtrack, if you are staying in Trastevere, or near Campo dei Fiori or the Pantheon. For these you are better off taking the local train to Trastevere, then the tram (and it costs half the fare of the Leonardo Express).

Archived