Has anyone used his camera in an AQUAPAC-cover???

HeinBloed

I have used one with mixed results. It is a bit tricky to position the camera so it is up against the plastic without putting pressure on the lens. Otherwise, you end up with blurry pictures. Also, you need to make sure you have some desiccant packs in the bag so the camera lens doesn't fog up. I always put the camera in the bag and tested it for leakage in the sink before leaving the ship to make sure it was properly closed. If there is anything in the seal it may leak.

Good luck.

I would just buy a disposable underwater camera instead of investing in something like you show.

If it is not made for the camera (Plastic molded housing), why chance getting your camera wet? For a "little better" picture?

My 2 cents, not worth spending the money nor the risk.

Enjoy whatever you do and remember to put in a pack that absorbs moisture just in case!

I have used one with mixed results. It is a bit tricky to position the camera so it is up against the plastic without putting pressure on the lens.

I have one--and have used it for cave swimming, for beach time, for whitewater rafting, for pool time. We didn't get good results for the dolphin swim pictures, but other than that, I've been very satisfied. The water pictures on this site were taken with the camera in an Aquapac.

http://gas06.bweiss.com/grand_cayman.htm

We had *zero* issues with leakage. I have an Aquapac wallet as well as a small key/id size pac. I've used the wallet and small one for such things as amusement park rides--including water parks.

I actually need to order another bag--I want a smaller one for my compact camera--the one I have is for my older camera.

--Beth

I have one--and have used it for cave swimming, for beach time, for whitewater rafting, for pool time. We didn't get good results for the dolphin swim pictures, but other than that, I've been very satisfied. The water pictures on this site were taken with the camera in an Aquapac.

We had *zero* issues with leakage. I have an Aquapac wallet as well as a small key/id size pac. I've used the wallet and small one for such things as amusement park rides--including water parks.

I actually need to order another bag--I want a smaller one for my compact camera--the one I have is for my older camera.

--Beth

Your very lucky. Not everyone is. They are very unreliable.

--Beth

Thanks for your comment - it was very helpful.

Since I especially asked for the brand AQUAPAC and not just anyone in general I was glad to hear.

We made the first experiments at home as well:

2010XEQ000401-vi.jpg

2010XEQ000402-vi.jpg

I am quite optimistic. I would also feel safer to do the picture over the water line with the Aquapac.

Few more questions:

1. How many absorbtion bags did you put into the Aquapac-Bag?

2. I just got four with the delivery - in which kind of stores can you buy more of them?

I think that I will use the first day on sea to try to manoevre with the Aquapac before doing it first time in Stingray City in George Town... exactly for this I bought it as well.

Did you most of the air out of the bag or do you need for some reason some air inside???

Thanks again for your posting.

To all others: there are good brand and back brands. For about 180 USD I can expect a difference to bags for 30 USD. That's why I was interested to know Aquapac-Bags only.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I haven't really used the absorption bags--never used more than one at a time. I don't know where you can buy more.

I took most of the air out, but didn't worry about it over much.

Good luck!

--Beth

My husband got me one for my DSLR for my recent birthday. Reading the material that came with it, you can buy additional dessicant packs directly from them. I usually save the dessicant packs from any shoes, meds, etc., that we buy and throw in my camera case, anyhow, so I've got those extras.

My husband's intent in buying it for me was for rain, the beach, stuff like that, not really thinking that I'd put the DSLR in the water (I would never take it out in the rain, or to the beach before, and always carry a large zip lock back to stash it in in case of rain). His intent was a rather expensive raincoat/sand protector. But who knows, I may dip the lens below the water line if I see something interesting. I picked up an immersible point and shoot recently (Ritz was going out of business, got a pentax point and shoot immersible to about 5 feet for $65.00), and I figure if I drown that, well, at least it isn't my good camera.

I did the bubble test with some cheap item here at home, too, and the object stayed dry.

I had good luck with mine, but I used it on my oldest digital camera that I am no longer using for regular photography. I figured if it leaked, I didn't care.

I have a a small compact fuji, and the on-off switch was hard to use, and the first time I used it the camera malfunctioned and I thought it was due to the bag, but it was just the camera.

I only used it for snorkeling, but it was fine. The pictures were better than any disposable underwater camera I have used. So awkward, but it worked.

For serious divers, I would go with one of those plastic housings like I know they make for canon cameras- dramatically more expensive, but then again, diving isn't exactly an inexpensive hobby. :p And look into the red filter lens to go along with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everybody's support...

Just to share with you the end of the story...

We made it to Fort Lauderdale but our bags did not (due to winter weather condition in Europe).

Our bags should made it two days later to George Town; Grand Cayman.

But our shore excursion was the morning and our bags incl. the AQUAPAC which we bought for the tour to Stingray City arrived noon.

So we bought on Lufthansa's expenses a new underwater camera from Olympus for 160 USD...

Rough sea in George Town. Port closed. All morning ships diverted to Spotts.

Getting ashore Moby Dick Tours cancelled the tour so no need for new Olympus Underwater Camera nor AQUAPAC...

But then we had heavy rain in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica when we visited the Cahuita National Park. Glad to have AQUAPAC with me as I was able to do pictures during heavy rainfall!!!

2010XEQ0705020-vi.jpg

Somehow the operation was difficult in such a bag... but my camera was safe...

On last day on sea I went with new Olympus Underwater Camera into the ship's pool (waterproof to 10' - pool was 4' 2"): after 10 pictures everything was wet inside the camera... bloob bloob bloob...

2010XEQ110707-vi.jpg

Archived