things to do near long beach before cruise?

gerry48

we will fly into lax around noon feb6 for our cruise feb7.

we will not likely rent a car and wonder what there would be to do to kill time before the cruise? saturday eve at disney would be fun but a costly trip there i`m sure.

we will not likely rent a car and wonder what there would be to do to kill time before the cruise? saturday eve at disney would be fun but a costly trip there i`m sure.

A one-day-one-park Disneyland ticket is $72. Taxi fare would be about $40 each way - here's a thread that talks about that.

Just found out that The Aquarium of the Pacific will be closed April 17 & 18 due to street closure for the Grand Prix that week end. We will visit the Queen Mary and The Aquarium on the 16th and Calalina on the 17th just reverse of our prior pre-cruise plan.

IMO spending the money for DL on a Saturday night (which would be crowded) wouldn't be worth it. As far as I know, there isn't an evening only ticket, so you would be paying the full price. Many of those going there just for the evening would be local people with year-round passes.

If you're staying in Long Beach, there are places you can get to easily. The Aquarium is excellent. You can even jump on a free shuttle bus that goes around the waterfront and get to Shoreline Village (my family even walked there from the Aquarium at sunset one day and felt very safe). The Queen Mary is also there. And there's an amusement park across the Aquarium.

As people have posted the main things to do in Long Beach are visit the Queen Mary and the Aquarium.

If you want to do Disneyland it is very doable. DL is open until midnight that day. There is a bus from LAX to Disneyland or you can take a shared shuttle. I would book either the DL Hotel (personal favorite but sometimes pricey) or a hotel in the DL area (not sure how bus works on hotels other than DL hotel so confirm with your hotel/bus company if you don't stay at the DL Hotel). Check in and drop bags and go to DL. Take shared shuttle to the port in the AM. You could also rent a car and drive to DL, traffic should not be bad to Anaheim on a Saturday. Find a company that will let you rent at LAX and return near the port. Car may be cheaper than shuttles or buses.

Even if you arrived at the DL park at 3 or 4, that is still 8 or 9 hours in the park, which is a really long time on your feet and in line. It will be crowded on a Saturday but stay til closing, the lines get shorter the later it gets.

Jen in SoCal

Archived