Need help locating shop w/ pottery in Cabo Photo

jasper02

On the "Mexican Riviera Port Review" page here on Cruise Critic, right above "Offbeat Cabo San Lucas", there is a photo of some beautiful large pots. Has anyone seen any pieces such as these in Cabo or other ports and know where I can purchase them?

Here is a shopping guide of Cabo. This link describes the Arts & Crafts stores located in Cabo:

http://www.cabosanlucasshopping.com/index.asp?CID=4

Here is a map of the downtown shopping area. It is easily walkable and I am sure you will find many beautiful handcrafted pottery at one of the many stores in town. Keep in mind that most of the handcraft items in Cabo are imported from other areas in Mexico and are more expensive than when purchased closer to where they are made. That said, if you find a piece you can afford while browsing the shops I would purchase it right then and there rather than risk finding a similar item in another port. The shops a bit further from the cruise pier and on the less traveled side streets may offer a better deal and offer up unexpected treasures!

http://www.loscabosguide.com/maps/cslmap.htm

We have found that the best artisan work in all the places in the Mexican Riviera we have visited are to be found in San Jose Del Cabo just north of Cabo San Lucas.

The town is typically mid-1800's Mexican and has shop after shop of excellent hand made pottery, jewellery,leather goods and textiles/clothing.

It's about a 20 minute cab ride north of the Cabo tender pier. We have rented a van and driver/guide for the day for a very inexpensive amount through Jonhann&Sandra, (they advertise at the top of this page for various ports)

The pottery you are looking for is hand made and in abundance in San Jose.....and if you are interested in hand made/blown glass go to the Glass Factory in Cabo itself. You can watch the artisans and their apprentices at work then wander through the warehouse and chose the pieces you want.

These places are in our opinion the best to get Mexican artisan made products and art.

Have a great time.

We also hired a driver in Cabo through Johann & Sandra and went to San Jose del Cabo, tours of some of the resorts and went to the glass factory. It was a very nice tour. The pictures I took on that tour are here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/574967067buicGI

We did go to one beautiful shop in San Jose where we also did some Tequila tasting. However, it was very HOT that day and we were not up to shopping a lot. If you want to spend time shopping in San Jose ask your driver to skip the typical tourist stop/shop just outside of Cabo San Lucas and take you to a few of the nicer craft shops in San Jose del Cabo. That is the one thing I would have changed on our tour. Be sure you do not miss the glass blowing factory.:)

I know prices were very reasonable. I can't remember exactly how much. To be perfectly honest I was very hot and was not up to wandering around the unairconditioned glass shelves. They had a cool air "fan" set up in their show room and I spent most of my time there.:o We were there in early October. I did buy a Christmas ornament (large glass ball - multicolored). I think it was $5 and one of our friends bought several martini or wine glasses - very pretty. I would like to go back on a cooler day and really spend some time there. I could do some real damage to my wallet!:eek: I did very much enjoy watching the artisans making the glass objects. I think that is where I got overheated as the glass furnaces were so hot - and the day was also a hot one.

Thank you for the Glass Factory info. I just have to hope that it doesn't break on the long trip home.

mb

As long as you wrap it well, it shouldn't break. I like to wrap the glass in my clothes and put it in the middle of my suitcase.

If I remember, I think they will ship your glass.

Don't forget to look outside at the glass factory at the "seconds". Some of the glass had some chips in it, but most didn't, and the prices were better. The piece that I bought was a turtle that had a small air bubble in it and therefore was in the "seconds".

Archived